Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on Paul M's method, but even easier.
1. Calculated based on the coolant system capacity listed in the owners manual that i needed 1.3 gallons of undiluted antifreeze (not 50/50)
2. I just flushed it several times by running it until the heater was warm and draining it, and filling it with distilled water (I went through more than 8 gallons). I did it until water coming out was clear and free of any particulates.
3. after the last drain, i added 1.3 gallons of antifreeze (i chose Zerex g-05) and topped it off with distilled water. While cleaning up when done, i kept checking the level, and topped it off when necessary. Ran to the store, and checked it again.

Took maybe an hour and a half. A lot of the time was spent trying to find the drain hole, and getting the front cover on and off. Certainly not surgical or scientific, but i'm confident it worked.

·
Registered
507 Posts
EP, this sounds very familiar to me. I would not call it a slacker method though, this is the best way to replace the entire coolant fluid without draining the engine.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
you guys are doing a more complex method than what mb dealerships do. all they do is drain radiator and fill up with 50/50 antifreeze/h20. if you do that once every 5 or so years you should be in good shape.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yes, Tirona thanks for your advice.
I did research prior to doing it and read the wis precedure which included a block drain. I didn't want to open the block drain and didn't mind the time spend (actually enjoyed it) and ended up with very clean coolant sump. Replaced the hoses and the drain valve. I just feel better doing it this way.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Compared to C-AMG I am a total slacker. His method is way beyond my means and abilities. Plus, I only have craftsman tools and work in the driveway because the garage is too full of junk.
This was the first time i've flushed a cooling system on any vehicle, so i thought I invented the method.
BTW--i should've called it "TSM" but I made a slacker typo.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Nothing wrong with the Craftsman tools, I mostly have Craftsman as well. Can't beat the lifetime warranty. Although, I do have some Hazet tools but they probably won't even be 1% of DR. G's arsenal :bowdown:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am getting a "check coolant level" warning. I figured it would go away after i turned the car off awhile but it didn't. Anyone?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it could be slightly low I haven't checked it on a perfectly level surface. i've done some reading since and found that the waning can come on even when the coolant is just a little low.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
xexpo is correct, it's just a little low. same thing happened to me, i thought i had filled it correctly while the next day i got the low coolant message. just needed to top off.

·
Registered
595 Posts
That mean you/it didn't burb the trapped air out, after a while of pump working and overnight the air find their way to the recovery tank and make the level lower. I usually running with the cap loose untill it reach operation temp before tighten the cap and recheck the level every before first start for the next few day. It's good habit to check it weekly in the engine bay at this age might be some surprise waitng for you, better you/we caught it in the garage or driveway than it caught us in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts