Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 1999 e320 and pulled the oil pan and noticed that coolant is dripping about every 30 seconds from the passenger side near the timing chain. This vehicle has been loosing coolant at a very slow pace for months but the guage is always at normal and the car does not overheat. What do you suggest? I hope is something other than head gasket.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
If you have a bad head gasket there will likely be coolant in the oil and you can send your oil for analysis to rule than in/out. What type of gauge are you talking about and are you sure you're not seeing plain water condensate? Or do these cars have a way to measure coolant level of which I'm not aware?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the light come on. We pulled the oil pan and it is definitely coolant. As I said before, we watched it drip to the ground about every 30 seconds (pure coolant) while the pan is removed.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
OK, then you obviously have a problem. From your original post, it didn't sound to me like you were sure you were actually leaking coolant because you said the level was normal and the car operates at a normal temperature. Good luck with your eventual solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know if there is any component, other than head gasket, that would allow coolant to be leaked into the engine?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Sorry, but I'm confused.

You removed the OIL pan and not the belly pan, so you're looking at the crankshaft? How does the oil look? If you actually had that bad a leak then the oil would be sludgy chocolate milk and if it had been going on very long your engine would be junk. So if the oil looks okay then it's something external, in that vicinity the oil cooler, WP, thermostat housing, rad hose.

If your oil is a mess then you'll locate the leak while you are rebuilding the engine. There are of course water jackets at the WP housing, if those corroded away (from improper maintence/corrosion, etc.) that would allow the leak as well.

Haven't heard of any head gasket issues on the V6.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Sorry, but I'm confused.

You removed the OIL pan and not the belly pan, so you're looking at the crankshaft? Or did you just remove the lower pan/sump? How does the oil look? If you actually had that bad a leak then the oil would be sludgy chocolate milk and if it had been going on very long your engine would be junk. So if the oil looks okay then it's something external, in that vicinity the oil cooler, WP, thermostat housing, rad hose. My first guess would be the WP.

If your oil is a mess then you'll locate the leak while you are rebuilding the engine. There are of course water jackets at the WP housing, if those corroded away (from improper maintence/corrosion, etc.) that would allow the leak as well.

Haven't heard of any head gasket issues on the V6.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry my post was soo vague. First, he noticed sludge on the oil filler cap. Then a mechanic suggested he replace the oil level sender and coolant level sensor, etc. He decided to change the oil and went on and dropped the oil pan to install the oil level sender. The oil was not completely milky but it was in the bottom of the oil pan. As I looked around at the timing chain, crank shaft etc, I noticed the oil was mixed with the coolant but not enough to cause seezing. I also noticed drops of coolant falling at a steady pace every 20 to 30 seconds or so. This continued. It appeared to fall from the front and slightly to the passenger side and back from the timing chain.
That is why I was wondering if there was some type housing (water pump, oil cooler, thermostat) that could be leaking into the crank case area.

Some One Please Help!

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
See

section on R/R engine.
,:bowdown:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts