Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 300D 2.5T (124.128) 1999 S320 SWB (140.032) 1999 E320 4Matic (210.082) 1984 300CD (123.153)
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day,

I am new to the 210 world. I picked up a 1999 E320 4Matic last week for a great deal, however it does need a little work. The first thing I am going to do is repair an oil leak around the oil filter housing. I bough all of the gaskets that are between the oil filter housing and the oil cooler, as well as the new oil filter cap assembly with oil filter.

Because of this leak the lower radiator hose has become weak and bulged, so I bought that as well, as well as some Zerex G-05 and distilled water. I am planning on flushing the cooling system, since I am removing that hose and draining it anyway. I like to get a good base-line on maintenance when I buy any older Merc.

I am just wondering where (if there is one) is the coolant drain plug in the block of this car? I want to do a thorough job of purging the cooling system, and need to drain the block when I do this. Also, is there anything special I should know about when I refill the coolant? Any air bleeding procedure? Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Kyle

·
Registered
2001 430T 4Matic, 1999 735iA
335 Posts
there is a drain plug on the left side of the radiator (left side, drivers side) where you can get alot of the coolant drained.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
The sticky threads include a block drain...

If you are changing the lower radiator hose, I'd cut a hole in the old one and drain it from there. Most of the time the drain plug (which is plastic) breaks off anyway. In any event buy a new one if you actually intend to try and drain it from the plug, they are cheap and readily available online.

Good luck.

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
There is no way to drain 100% even if you pull the plugs and going for plugs is asking for troubles.
With distillate water at 89 cents a gallon at Walmart, I just buy enough DW for 3 flushes and drain, refill, drain, refill till I am satisfy. The $3 spend on DW save me lot of potential problems.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.3, 94 E320 (sold), 01 E320, 99 S320, 18 Durango
4,983 Posts
There is no way to drain 100% even if you pull the plugs and going for plugs is asking for troubles.
With distillate water at 89 cents a gallon at Walmart, I just buy enough DW for 3 flushes and drain, refill, drain, refill till I am satisfy. The $3 spend on DW save me lot of potential problems.
But then you will have the system full of distilled water, how will you get the right concentration of antifreeze : distilled water this way?

·
Registered
37 Posts
But then you will have the system full of distilled water, how will you get the right concentration of antifreeze : distilled water this way?
Well, if you are super handy, you'll have a vacuum system to effectively boil off all the residual water in the system.

Fill with a known 50/50 mix and voila!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts