Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd post something neat I learned. One cold night I got in my car and it would crank buy not turn over. Turns out the glow plug relay had given up. All I had to do was take my jump cables and run a cable from the positive battery terminal and with the other end touch each glow plug for a few seconds. You effectively bypass the relay and manually heat up the coils. Might save you a buck someday.<p>Dave

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Carefull!!!<br>The earlier years have a daisy-chained glowplug system, (slowglow). Touching each glowplug individually can fry the them!<br>Only the later years have the 12V system, (fastglow).<p>: Thought I'd post something neat I learned. One cold night I got in my car and it would crank buy not turn over. Turns out the glow plug relay had given up. All I had to do was take my jump cables and run a cable from the positive battery terminal and with the other end touch each glow plug for a few seconds. You effectively bypass the relay and manually heat up the coils. Might save you a buck someday.<p>Dave<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point. Mine is an 85 if anyone is reading. Otherwise, it might be worth risking frying a glow plug to get started up again if you are in a jam.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my glow plugs went2 weeks ago ....what a mess<br>there was too much power going to them resulting in failure and the fuse going (by that i mean melting the protective caseing)<br>to get the car started without glow plugs (2 people required)<br>1 soak a rag in unleaded fuel <br>2 disconnect the air intake hose and hold rag at the end<br>3 while someone trys to start the car "slowly" squeez the rag so only one or two drops enter the hose NOTE The car will start using the fuems of the fuel and when the engin fires pull the rag away so that it doesnt get sucked into the compresser IF IT DOSE U R F**KED<br>4 rev the car for a while to warm it up and drive <p>i dont reccomend u doing this reguarley as it isnt healthy for the car <br>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.