Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
420SEL
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this on their car?http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_S500.html

I would like to try this out, I would love to see the car run cooler.
My main concern is, shorter fan motor life and added strain on the charging system.
But I will most likely buy it next week.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
1,928 Posts
Yes and it's terrific! My S500 ran at 100 degrees or above constantly until I got a cool harness from Jim. Mine now runs at around 90 degrees. It turns the fans on earlier so you avoid running hot. I highy recomend it. Also you might try Waterwetter from redline. That will lower the temps as well.

Do make sure that you don't have a fan clutch or radiator problem first tho

·
Registered
420SEL
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car doesnt overheat, but in summer with ac, it gets very close to red Zone. I hate it.
I will try this first, since its the cheapest, then try the fan clutch.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Hey Dave,
Yes I have it on my CL500. Jim's a real nice guy and very knowledgable on the W140 cars. It is a two minute job to replace the Cool Harness. I have never had temperature problems but I replaced the harness as a preventative measure. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 (W140), 1997 BMW 740iL (E38), 2011 C300 Luxury (W204)
1,314 Posts

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
have it but dont need it, but better have it than not if you need it. ;)

·
M20
4,793 Posts
Jim is from San Diego and he ships quick. He sells it for $65 each

He has instructions too how to do it yourself if you want to save $

·
Registered
A Few
1,418 Posts
My car used to have a cool harness until my indy took it off and threw it away *smh*

Now my car jumps to 100C on the side streets :surrender:

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
I will also look into purchasing one of these cooling harnesses. Just after im done with other engine / coolong repairs (Still not sure which, if any), if my car still runs at about 100 - 110 degrees on backroads then I will definately get one.. It seems to be something woth investing for the my S320

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
I purchased it!!

After readng this thread, and all the positive feedback, I decided to contact Jim on Sunday about this cooling harness..

He was very quick to reply, same day got a message and Paypal email. I paid the $73 (Extra $5 for shipping handling to South Africa) for the CH-92 Cooling Harness :)

Jim emailed back again saying that he received payment and will send it out the next day (Yesterday)!!

I cant wait!!! I feel its worth every cent! Once I receive it, I will let you guys know how it goes, and If satisfaction is achieved! Somehow I have a good feeling about this purchase, and Jim seems like a really honest guy.

And if he was clever enough make such a device, I think we shoud support his hustle and benifit with cooler driving engines! Nice one Jim, cant wait till I get my Cooling Harness!!

·
Registered
1994 Benz S320 SWB / 1986 Porsche 911 Targa / 1998 Benz CL 500
1,290 Posts
I have nothing against the gadget or the inventor but what about the possibility of running out your aux fans sooner than its general life cycle ( don't know how long that is ):confused:

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
funny thing is the actual fans never spin until a certain temperature and this makes them turn on sooner. its actually a temp sensor with a resistor on it i remember buying one for my 93 w140 in the past and it worked good, the maker doesn't make alot of profit from it since he uses oem sensors.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
I have nothing against the gadget or the inventor but what about the possibility of running out your aux fans sooner than its general life cycle ( don't know how long that is ):confused:
I would prefer if those fans kicked in at a lower temperature. Would rather have a cooler engine, than pro-longed aux fans.. If the need ever arises to replace the aux fan/s I will. But so far I have not heard anybody having any issue with their aux fans with or without the cooling harness.

And that is what they are designed to do, cool the engine when it gets to a certain temp. I will flush my cooling system and put a clean 50 / 50 mix of distilled water and anitfreeze.. With the cooling harness in place, I dont think I should have anymore extremely hot engine issues in bumper to bumper traffic. (Goes as high as 112'c sometimes, and only then is when the aux fans normally kicks in)

I cant wait till my cooling harness arrives :)

Will keep you guys updated on how it performs.

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
hmm i dont know. let's think about this for a minute. which is better.. cooking engine gaskets, rubber seals, vacuum hoses, belts, overheating bearings, hood mat burn,

or replacing 2 electric fans in a 15 year old car, 2 fans that are likely on their death bed anyway

let me think about that and come back with a viable answer for a bit!

(that said if you car is working properly the fans won't ever kick in cooling mode, the resistor mod or not being present)

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
The link works my brother.. Even on my blackberry :) go check it out!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts