Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[8D]

Is anybody here running their Benz on alternate fuel? Alcohol, natural gas, propane?

These folks have put over 50K miles on a 1987 M-B 300 SDL burning recycled cooking oil:

http://www.otnrg.org/diesel_to_cooking_oil_conversion.htm

And...

http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=29787

Cheers!
Dave

·
Registered
1995 W124 E320 Turbo Technics Twin Turbo
261 Posts
I've run my E300D on a 50/50 mix of Veg oil and diesel for 6 months and never had a problem...infact it runs smoother on veg oil.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Quietest/smoothest benz diesel I ever came across was running straight veggie oil.. Amazing stuff!!

Jonathan

·
Registered
95 E300D
154 Posts
My 95 M606 loves a drop of veggie oil. have run it up to 75% veggie oil no problem. I dont do it in winter here in uk as we can get cold temps and I was warned that the viscosity is higher with veggie and could be an issue. YOu do get a cooking smell when you park but other then that there's no difference in performance but it costs just 40pence (80cents) per liter as opposed to 180 pence per liter for diesel.

Dont be too surprised - the first diesels ran on peaunut oil not mineral oil. You can also happily run most diesels on domestic heating oil. In the army they refer to diesels as multifuel engines so a friend tells me - they use whatever's available locally by way of oil - mineral or veggie.

I gather than even turbos are ok but NOT common rail and the latest techologies like that.

Keith

·
Registered
1995 E300D, 1999 SLK
2 Posts
Running soy oil in my E300D (75%soy,20%diesel,5%premium unleaded). I didn't have any problems until I got careless and put partially hydrogenated oil in my refining system. Still runs but lost a lot of compression (up hills especially, hardly any power). I would not do that again.

Still, it is a fun hobby and it is another way I can feel connected to the diesel community as a true believer in Rudolph Diesel and his progeny![8D]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts