Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...I just posted a brief intro in the new members section.

But I think this is the forum place i need to be in. As stated in the intro, I first saw the C300 while hoping on my bike at starbucks. I've been in love ever since.

I currently drive a 1998 honda civic..it was good for its time..heck, it still is a good car...but im reaching the point, that things are now failing on it. clutch assembly all replaced, driver side window is broken, and smaller little things.

It was good as a kids car..but I think im ready to move on to something better.

So about the C-300. I have questions as i've never owned a MB before.

1. Will i be losing my shirt everytime i take it in for servicing? How expensive are the regular maintenance on it?

2. Can it accept regular gasoline or does it need the more expensive premium gas?

3. I love standard...but also live in Canada where it snows. Is the 4matic hence a better option? My brother-in-law a VW owner has told me to stay away from AWD as there are more moving parts and things are more likely to breakdown. Is this true? (I drive my cars hard)

4. Lastly.... the car has TONS of electronics on it...i just have this fear that they will start to fail at some point and i'll be at the dealer giving away my life savings to get things diagnosed and repaired. How durable are the widgets and gadgets?

I drive my cars hard as I believe cars are meant to be driven. My civic has been a workhorse and am looking for something just as durable.

That's about it for now. Im just a regular, single middle class guy....is this car beyond reach for the middle class? I have people telling me to look at a lexus or lower end vehicles....and if it does take premium gas, i might just do so.

Anyhow any tips and advice from current owners would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2008 C230 4MATIC; 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
819 Posts
Very good car, very reliable. I don't think you have to worry about 4MATIC (MB AWD system) and electronics in the W204 C-class - this is one of the more reliable models that MB recently produced. The services are expensive (~$300 for Service A (minor), $600 for Service B (major)), but you can always find an indie mechanic to save there. The car only takes premium gas - you can put regular but you'll be robbing yourself of power. The C-class comes in manual only for RWD cars, all 4MATIC come with a 7-speed auto. The car can take quite a beating - most tuners don't really stiffen up the chassis nor body when they made modifications because the stock chassis/body are so stiff, so I think C300 will last you longer than your Civic did regardless of how you drive it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very good car, very reliable. I don't think you have to worry about 4MATIC (MB AWD system) and electronics in the W204 C-class - this is one of the more reliable models that MB recently produced. The services are expensive (~$300 for Service A (minor), $600 for Service B (major)), but you can always find an indie mechanic to save there. The car only takes premium gas - you can put regular but you'll be robbing yourself of power. The C-class comes in manual only for RWD cars, all 4MATIC come with a 7-speed auto. The car can take quite a beating - most tuners don't really stiffen up the chassis nor body when they made modifications because the stock chassis/body are so stiff, so I think C300 will last you longer than your Civic did regardless of how you drive it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response. I was hoping it took regular gas...as premium is not cheap. Let me ask you this...from empty tank to full... how much does it cost you? and how far can you go on one full tank?

galons/mile, litre/km mean nothing to me.

Thanks

·
Registered
819 Posts
LOL, I actually do my driving in liters/km, but I'll try to convert them loosely. Per tank I get about 500-550km in city driving and about 750-800km in highway driving. This translates to about 350-370 miles/tank in city, and about 500-550 miles/tank highway. Minimum usage that I was ever able to get on my car was 32 MPG, which is not too bad for an AWD (you'll get better mileage with RWD). Please keep in mind that I have a C230 that comes with a 2.5l v6, not a 3l v6 like the C300, so C300 numbers will probably be a tad higher, unless they drive like a grandma, which I don't.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, I actually do my driving in liters/km, but I'll try to convert them loosely. Per tank I get about 500-550km in city driving and about 750-800km in highway driving. This translates to about 350-370 miles/tank in city, and about 500-550 miles/tank highway. Minimum usage that I was ever able to get on my car was 32 MPG, which is not too bad for an AWD (you'll get better mileage with RWD). Please keep in mind that I have a C230 that comes with a 2.5l v6, not a 3l v6 like the C300, so C300 numbers will probably be a tad higher, unless they drive like a grandma, which I don't.
haha...i haven't filled out my profile..but im from Mississauga...so yeah, I do my driving in km as well. but i've never uderstood xxlitres/km in the city and xxlitres/hwy. What I do understand is 500km per tank.

Alright since we are from the same area ..i now have another question for you. Where did you get yours? pre-owned? dealer? If so, which one? Would you recommend them?

I am still debating if I should ditch my civic which is a kids car and get the MB or not. Im 33 and sometimes I just feel to old in my civic.

Did you finance it? Or did you buy it out right? This is another issue I have as I don't have 50k cash to drop on a car. I always have this vision that BMW/MB drivers always buy their cars out right....but I know that's not really the case.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
47 Posts
1. service is not cheap, annual service (A&B) cost about $150 & $350 here in CA and every other yr there is brake fluid flush which is like $100, then one time transmission flush at 40k miles cost about $300...plus your regular replacement items like filters & tires..not counting any repair, you will need a out $400-$500 annually for maintenance

2. only use premium gas, you wouldn't want to use cheap gas and cause engine problem down the road, even if you don't plan on keep the car for long, moral thing to do is to use the right gas so the next person who took over your car will not suffer b/c you cheap out on a few bucks everytime you fill up

3. 4matic for snow area may not be a must, you can get away w/ RWD version and dedicate snow/winter tires

4. dunno about reliablity yet, so far so good w/ most of the w204 owners (knock on wood) but from my past experience, after 100k miles, you may began to have problems

5. each time I fill up, it is uaually around 14.5 - 15.5 gallons and I get close to 380 miles per tank which is about 23 miles per gallon from my own calcuation

·
Registered
819 Posts
haha...i haven't filled out my profile..but im from Mississauga...so yeah, I do my driving in km as well. but i've never uderstood xxlitres/km in the city and xxlitres/hwy. What I do understand is 500km per tank.

Alright since we are from the same area ..i now have another question for you. Where did you get yours? pre-owned? dealer? If so, which one? Would you recommend them?

I am still debating if I should ditch my civic which is a kids car and get the MB or not. Im 33 and sometimes I just feel to old in my civic.

Did you finance it? Or did you buy it out right? This is another issue I have as I don't have 50k cash to drop on a car. I always have this vision that BMW/MB drivers always buy their cars out right....but I know that's not really the case.

Thanks for your input.
Mind you, this is not the same tank size as the Civic. I think Civic's gas tank is about 40-45 liters, whereas the C-class has a 65-70 liter tank (don't remember exactly).

I got mine from a dealer - I found just what I was looking for coming off a 1-year employee lease with 15,000km on it. The price was right and my W210 E-class started to rust, so it was time to trade it in. I payed the rest from my credit line, which had a very good interest rate at the time.

If you got the money, compared to the Civic the C-class is on a 'hole 'notha level. :D Get one in good condition (shouldn't be hard to find) and I don't think you'll regret it regardless of the higher gas costs, the higher service charges and most likely higher insurance costs.

·
Registered
2009 C300 Sport 6 Speed; 2008 E350 4MATIC Sport
955 Posts
I live in southeast Michigan and drive near your area to visit family....in no particular order:

1) rwd with stick works just fine with Blizzak WS70 tires on all four corners.
2) yes, premium gas, but the pain goes away with habit
3) Ratings | J.D. Power
4) My car has been great!

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Not sure the difference in price between regular and premium gas in canada but in Ohio its really only about .10/gallon more, so after a full tank it really only costs you $1.74 more each fill up. I too wondered about the premium gas issue, but after I broke it down, I figured thats not too bad. If I fill up once a week for a year at most it will cost me $90.48. This is US measurements, sorry, Im too lazy to translate into Metric.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure the difference in price between regular and premium gas in canada but in Ohio its really only about .10/gallon more, so after a full tank it really only costs you $1.74 more each fill up. I too wondered about the premium gas issue, but after I broke it down, I figured thats not too bad. If I fill up once a week for a year at most it will cost me $90.48. This is US measurements, sorry, Im too lazy to translate into Metric.
Thanks for the info folks. Assuming the tank is 65L. @ 1.25/litre the fill up with premium gas is $81.25. At regular gas it would be 71.50 @ 1.10/litre.

Average 52 weeks in the year....the extra cost would be anywhere from 250-500 bucks extra a year....suffice it to say I don't think I would realize it.

My biggest problem now is trying to stomach dropping 50G's for it...lol

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
wow 50g's! is the dollar that much higher in Canada then US? I thought they were about even? I would think you could get one for cheaper then that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow 50g's! is the dollar that much higher in Canada then US? I thought they were about even? I would think you could get one for cheaper then that.

Well... I was looking at the 4matic + Nav + Premium package. Add taxes and Freight charges and the price jumps to 50k.

Im also willing to go without the premium package with just Nav. From what I am reading the premium just gives you electronic seat control, memory seat control and a couple other things I could probably live without.

Generally speaking though, US prices are cheaper even with the dollar being even. It takes months before Canadian retailers will lower prices and often times they won't and the retailer will pocket the extra money. I just did my first cross border shopping trip to Buffalo the other day and the savings on clothes was ridiculous. I bought a ton of stuff at pretty cheap prices. It is ridiculous how the same garment, same logo, identical garment jumps 20-30% once you cross a line on a map.

I don't know if cars are cheaper though. I wonder if a benz would be cheaper in buffalo than here.

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
I didnt know there was that much of a difference in price, but if I were you I would not get it without the options you want so go for the premium 1 and the navigation, I absolutely love mine and I drive the loaner cars (C-Class with no options) and I hate it. If youb are going to spend alot (or what you and I consider alot) on a car get it the way you want. You know...In Canada you can get the C350 in a 4matic :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didnt know there was that much of a difference in price, but if I were you I would not get it without the options you want so go for the premium 1 and the navigation, I absolutely love mine and I drive the loaner cars (C-Class with no options) and I hate it. If youb are going to spend alot (or what you and I consider alot) on a car get it the way you want. You know...In Canada you can get the C350 in a 4matic :)
first of all..i do consider 50 G's a lot. It is on the upper echelon of what I was willing to spend on a car. Heck its a down payment on a house...lol but it is do-able. The 350 is just insane...as is the C63. I think i'd be happy with the 300. Im just trying to figure out when to do it. Now, or in the new year when i'll have more money saved up. I also still have the problem of what to do with my beloved honda civic which I still love to drive. I can't keep them both. I could probably sell the civic for $2500-3000 bucks. It would be a good starter car for a kid wanting to get his first car. I dunno.

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
Im agreeing with you that $50,000 is a lot, previously the most expensive car I bought was $21k

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im agreeing with you that $50,000 is a lot, previously the most expensive car I bought was $21k
Do you mind if I ask what you paid for yours? It would be nice to have some stats when trying to talk down the sales agent. At least I hope they allow for negotiations. Do you think most benz owners pay out right or do you think they finance? I only have 25k saved up. The thought of putting all my money into a car is tough to swallow. I do have a guaranteed job (no chance of unemployment) but I would be putting half my pay into the payment and the other half between expenses, gas, entertainment, clothes, phone bills and hopefully some savings. I figure I would be broke for about 2 years as I pay off the car.

Althernatively I just get something else other than a benz that is more affordable. Its tough buying a car. The logical side of me says buy something else, my passion says get the benz you can manage... decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Lux Black on Black
68 Posts
I personally have been very happy with buying no options on my car (base only) and kept the purchase price close to $30k USD. The only option I really miss is a USB port for the radio. But I have a family and had to keep in mind other monthly expenses. So I was comparing my C300 purchase with the less expensive Japanese ho-hum four door sedans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I personally have been very happy with buying no options on my car (base only) and kept the purchase price close to $30k USD. The only option I really miss is a USB port for the radio. But I have a family and had to keep in mind other monthly expenses. So I was comparing my C300 purchase with the less expensive Japanese ho-hum four door sedans.
Hi Andy,

well im single....no girl and no family so I am in a different place. Heck, if I finance that much money I wonder if i'd even have money to take a girl out on a date..LOL or if she would expect more of me because of the car. Who knows. I wish I could win the lottery.... i'd pick up a red ferrari and i know the girls would flock to it...lol. sadly a c-class benz doesn't do that..LOL

·
Registered
09 C300 4Matic
223 Posts
I paid $43k for mine, with no money down and rolled some negative equity into it and am paying $550 a month for 39 months with 1000 miles a month allowed. I think $43k was a bit much but with the negative equity and no money down I couldnt complain, It was a steal in my opinion. As far as the payment options, I would imagine it is split 50/50 on buying vs lease and depends on the car. For a C class which is their entry level sedan I would imagine most lease but I could be way wrong. I chose to lease, 1 because it is cheaper, 2 because I get sick of cars after 3 years, and 3 because I wouldnt want to own it outside of its warranty.

·
Registered
2008 C300 Sport
47 Posts
Do they have CPO w204 in Canada?? Here in States, you can get a 1 yr old C300 w/ 12k miles, p1 & navigation for about $30k and it comes w/ extra yr or up to 100k miles of warranty..

So basically, if you buy new now, your warranty expires end of the yr 2014 or 50k miles..
If you buy a 1 yr old CPO, your warranty expires end of the yr 2014 (2009+4+1) or 100k miles..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts