Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1980 300SD Mercedes
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I want to convert my 1980 300SD to run on vegtable oil (two tank system, I live in Chicago)...The greasecar kit sounds like the easiest to do my self ($1400 for everything)...My mom runs a resturant that uses 100% soy oil, so getting used oil is no problem...I'd love to hear any thoughts, good and bad.

Green regards,
Tom

·
Registered
1980 300SD
7 Posts
go veggie!

my '80 300sd runs on veg oil w/ a lovecraft biofuels conversion. here in new mexico it is very sunny but i live in the mountains.above 6500 ft.my car has always started,even on the 10degrees f days.the lovecraftbiofuels.com has many forums on filtering and such. i love my car! it has changed the way i feel about my 34 mile commute to work(at a restaurant ).i get almost 30 mpg too on svo! good luck!

·
Registered
1982 240d, 2007 e350
2,071 Posts
lovecraft = stupidity

Don't go lovecraft

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
yeah what P4olom said. Do a search for "lovecraft" or "lovecrap" and you'll see what other people say about it.

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
Lovecraft = crap. It's a half baked shoddy system sold by a tattoo artist.

No way are you getting 30mpg out of a OM617.950. It's 25mpg at the very best even if going 50mph with the CC on. The calculations are wrong or the odometer is slipping.

Tom, the greasecar kits are good but the installation is a pain. You'll have to drill the trunk (future rust point). You'll have to chase down seeping air and valve issues and or possibly weak fuel flow. If you get a greasecar I would reccomend getting an electric lift pump to assist with the heated oil. A buddy of mine had to chase down all of the above system problems but it ran seamlessly until the hose within a hose coolant/fuel lines were pinched and burst and flooded the oil tank with coolant which cause a big mess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Check out Frybrid Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems .I have no association with them but I am a
frybrid user and i think they are pretty good.
They are not the least expensive but they are worth the xtra $$ for the quality of the parts and the controller that senses when to turn on the veg.
Living in chicago you will need the heat exchangers in this system and the controller so you don't switch over too early. Not good to pump cold veg into your engines ip and cylinders.It took me awhile to get the kit and do the install (DIY) But My 79sd is running well on it and it feels so good not to have to buy so much fuel.
Frybrid has a little kit comparison spread sheet you can view on their website.
Shows you comparisons of what you get for the bucks for each of the major kit players out there.Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts