Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Boeing 777, '05 CLK500 Cab, '02 Land Rover Discovery, '02 Ducati 998
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm 2 weeks into my MB ownership venture. I start the top retraction process when all of the sudden it stops. I try to reverse the operation...Nothing. I then turn the car off in an attempt to ctrl+alt+del any faults...voila it worked, I managed to get the top latched back down.

As it turns out, the ball end of the hydraulic arm that opens the soft top cover broke off. Murphy was alive and grinin at me because when it broke it didnt leave the hex head attached to the threaded end of the ball, NO it broke the theaded part of clean with no access to get the threaded portion out. I spent about 4 hours yesterday drilling out that bolt. My dealer got me a new one for ~$5. I would post pics but Im in Newark now about to go to work and the car is in FL.

Aside from me needing to vent, is there any adjustment to the sequencing of the convertible retraction process? Has ANYONE else had this unfortunate event happend to them? I just cant imagine how that thing broke unless the latch was still latched for a second or two while the actuator was trying to raise the cover. Or something happend b4 I bought the car and I inherited the problem.

any insight would be greatly appreciated as I dont want to drill out another one if I can help it.

Duc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you post a picture of the broken part. I'm going through a similar problem with the top stopping half way and restarting only after I turn the car off and back on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill post pics when I get home Fri morning, I'm in Lost Wages right now. But the part looks like a mini trailer hitch (gold in color) that the hydraulic actuator connects to. If yours is breaking replace it before it completely breaks because its a PITA to get out at that point.

Duc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Does anyone know where the convertible actuators hydraulic reservoir is on a 2001 CLK 430? I read that some MB put them under the spare but I guess not on the CLK.

TIA,
Duc

OK disregard the last post about the reservoir. I found it and its full. The problem Im now having is the sequence works very strongly until time to pull the actuall top back. It lifts the back glass, opens the hatch, then stalls, pumps ar running but nothing is happening. If I help it, it will stow the top but not far enough to trigger the hatch to lower. But when I turn the key off then on again and raise the top its as strong as a horse. Am I reduced to taking it to the dealership?

Duc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pics of parts

Sorry it took so long to post the pics, I have been flying my arse off because I front loaded my May schedule to get next week off.

Anyway, here are some pics of the part that broke. I replaced the little gold (trailer hitch looking) part because the dealership gets $104/hr and it took me 4 hours. What a PITA to drill the threaded part out. The dealership said there was also a screw loose that was preventing enough hydraulic pressure to lower the roof. They tightened the screw, cleared the faults and $112 later, she works like a beauty.

Duc

Attachments

·
Registered
00' CLK 430 Cabrio
267 Posts
Captain Ducman said:
Sorry it took so long to post the pics, I have been flying my arse off because I front loaded my May schedule to get next week off.

Anyway, here are some pics of the part that broke. I replaced the little gold (trailer hitch looking) part because the dealership gets $104/hr and it took me 4 hours. What a PITA to drill the threaded part out. The dealership said there was also a screw loose that was preventing enough hydraulic pressure to lower the roof. They tightened the screw, cleared the faults and $112 later, she works like a beauty.

Duc
glad to hear it worked out bro !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts