Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL320
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed left side leaking cylinders on the convertible of my 1997 230 and all was good. Now the right side is leaking, so I manually put down the top. Everything was ok untill I put it up manually. Now the button to operate the top is lit up and flashing. How do I reset it and why is it on. When I took the cylinders out the last time I manually closed it and it was ok, no lights. Also I figured I would try closing it with the button but as soon as it started to open it stopped and lost all fluid. I am going to remove the cylinders next week but I want to make sure I didn't screw anything up, and also I want to shut off the light. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Billy

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,113 Posts
That indicates the operation cycle was not complete (latches not locked down when it should etc. or could be just sensor problem).

Back track what you did, could be sensor switch wire not hooked up etc.

·
Registered
03 SL Kleemann, 97 SL320, 95 E320 cab, Tesla X, Ferrari 360, etc
949 Posts
top won't move after replacing cylinder(s)

I recently changed left side leaking cylinders on the convertible of my 1997 230 and all was good. Now the right side is leaking, so I manually put down the top. Everything was ok untill I put it up manually. Now the button to operate the top is lit up and flashing. How do I reset it and why is it on. When I took the cylinders out the last time I manually closed it and it was ok, no lights. Also I figured I would try closing it with the button but as soon as it started to open it stopped and lost all fluid. I am going to remove the cylinders next week but I want to make sure I didn't screw anything up, and also I want to shut off the light. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Billy
Billy,

welcome to the forum! Could you add your location and car model/year to your profile, please? Knowing your rough location often helps us in unexpected ways, when answering questions...

I do not fully understand the description of what has been done to your car so far. Your '97 has eleven hydraulic cylinders for the soft top, see diagram below. Could you identify which ones have been worked on, and which ones in particular have been worked on right before you got the red light? This will help a lot in narrowing down what is making the soft top controller perceive that something is illogical or that some sequence hasn't been finished and thus giving you the red light.

To minimize future problems with the micro switches, may I suggest that you follow Top Hydraulics' step-by-step instructions?
See the following in our DIY section DIY Instructions - Top Hydraulics, Inc
R129 Front Locking Cylinder Removal (PDF)
R129 Rear Locking Cylinder Removal (PDF)
R129 Tonneau Cover Lift Cylinder Removal (PDF)
R129 Tonneau Cover Lock Cylinder Removal (PDF)
R129 Bow Extension Cylinder Removal (PDF)
R129 Main Lift Cylinder Removal (PDF)

Looking forward to your updates,

Klaus

Top Hydraulics | Rebuilt Convertible Top Hydraulic Cylinders - Top Hydraulics, Inc

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts