Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if you have Australian RHD and want to go with the LHD how hard is it to convert???
I saw Von's advert of a 1250 and he said it would be relatively straightforward to convert it ''back''..
So is it what comes from the factory can be ''swapped'' to the other side , with a fair amount of $$ involved.. Then to swap it back is relatively easier?
I had a rough quote from Atkinson Vos to flip a Aus 1700l from RHD to LHD and it came in at about 4K (Canadian), so is this something that's doable for the rest of us??

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Nashy has experience with this. He converted my Green DOKA from LHD to RHD by acquiring the RHD parts from a wrecked ADF UNIMOG. He knows the details.

Things to consider :

A. All Square Cab UNIMOGS start life as LHD trucks, and the steering box stays on the left hand side, no matter where the steering wheel shows up.

B. As far as the steering goes, there is a right angle transfer box that redirects the original steering shaft to the right hand side of the truck. This is an add-on system which attaches to the lower portion of the dash, at the 'knee bump pad' level, more or less.

C. The Brake, Clutch, and Accelerator pedals are all crammed into the RHD footwell, with the Accelerator pedal winds up perched next to the front right wheel well indent. The photos show some variety in the pedal mounts, and I do not know if the brake and clutch can be re-positioned on the Left hand side without modification, or they are only suitable for the RHD version. This is where Nashy's experience would be valuable.I would guess they are reusable, but I wonder if the LHD mounts are in place under the dash.

D. The Windshield Wipers are different, to give the RHD Driver the preferential sweep pattern, so they'd have to be converted to the 'Normal' LHD versions, which requires the linkage as well as new holes drilled beneath the windshield.

E. The Gear Shift lever will have to be dealt with, as for the RHD version, it is bent over towards the RHD Driver's position.

F. The Parking Brake valve can also have been moved to accommodate the RHD driver, so it may be inconvenient for the LHD driver.

G. The Headlights on a UNIMOG meant for a RHD country will be incorrect for a LHD road system. This does not apply to a North American RHD plow truck as Von has, of course.

H. The Dash is modular to a degree, and the RHD instrument panel lands where the LHD glove box would normally be. All of the gauge wiring, the Fuse Blocks or Circuit Breakers ,and the headlight switch, etc., will have to be re-wired, affixed, and all of that.

Some photos to show the situation.

I think it can be done without 'too much' trouble, as moving from RHD to LHD is taking it back to 'normal' (as far as it was originally designed), and finding LHD parts would tend to be easier, since the majority of UNIMOGs produced are LHD.

I've always wondered about the feel and the responsiveness of the converted RHD steering. There is a fair bit of gear added to get the Steering Wheel to the right side, and I wonder if it shows up in terms of precision, effort, 'feel', etc., or whether it just blends in.
There are two additional 90 degree direction changes in place, so I think there would be some difference, but whether that amounts to much, I don't know.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
More Photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
A few more.
Also note that the Idle speed / engine speed regulator lever is moved to the Right Hand Side of the Dog House for the RHD driver, so that is another thing to swap over.

The one with two steering wheels is from a 'Tractor Driving School' UNIMOG.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Also - the Forward / reverse lever, which is generally a straight lever on a LHD truck, is usually bent to the right for the RHD applications, and the Seats may be reversed - with a single seat for the driver on the right, and the 'seat-and-a-half' on the left. Some RHD UNIMOGs just have a single seat on each side, so that would eliminate that issue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
TRUKTOR
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing