Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very simple query. I am in the process of relocating from the Philippines to the US (Virginia). I have a diplomatic 1995 S280 that I would like to take back, but it needs conversion to US emissions specs as it does not have a catalytic converter etc. (not sure why the emission control system was excluded when I first bought the car). The car has given me 13 years of good service (although I have spent a significant amount of money on maintenance, including three new power window mechanisms, two evaporators, and a recent complete front overhaul for about $6,000!). Could someone please tell me of a firm/dealer to whom I could write about carrying out the conversion as well as import the car in its current DOT emission standards non-compliant state (understand there are fairly strict rules regarding such importation). If the process is too difficult, I will simply sell the car here. Thanks. Albab Akanda

·
Registered
78 280S, 81 300SD, 82 300D, 92 300E 2.6, 90 260SE, 94 S280, 10 E300,
900 Posts
Better look for another one when you get to the US, its not worth the hassle especially when there are lots of nice w140 in the US. PM me if ever you decide to sell the car, I might have a look at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Sort of reinforces my own apprehension about potential hassles. Let me know where I can reach you when I decide to sell.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not sure about the emission standards to import a car to the US, but I know the parts for a 95 S 280 can be hard to find in the US, plus catalytic converter are costly. It might not be worth the hassle and money. Like ronw123w124 said, there are many W140 out here in the US.

·
Banned
PM me to Join the Expat Muslims for Obama Club........
17,697 Posts
Thanks. Sort of reinforces my own apprehension about potential hassles. Let me know where I can reach you when I decide to sell.

Be careful, offer will be pennies on dollars..............

·
Registered
07 E 320 Bluetec- 2013 SL550
28 Posts
I have a very simple query. I am in the process of relocating from the Philippines to the US (Virginia). I have a diplomatic 1995 S280 that I would like to take back, but it needs conversion to US emissions specs as it does not have a catalytic converter etc. (not sure why the emission control system was excluded when I first bought the car). The car has given me 13 years of good service (although I have spent a significant amount of money on maintenance, including three new power window mechanisms, two evaporators, and a recent complete front overhaul for about $6,000!). Could someone please tell me of a firm/dealer to whom I could write about carrying out the conversion as well as import the car in its current DOT emission standards non-compliant state (understand there are fairly strict rules regarding such importation). If the process is too difficult, I will simply sell the car here. Thanks. Albab Akanda
ask the ministry of transportation if your vehicle,as an diplomatic vehicle needs any change.
i think it dont.
as far i know vehicles from diplomatics and military dont need any change.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
ask the ministry of transportation if your vehicle,as an diplomatic vehicle needs any change.
i think it dont.
as far i know vehicles from diplomatics and military dont need any change.
That was my understanding too. You can bring the car as is if you are military or a diplomat, as long as you maintain possession and you do not intend to sell it here. If you are NOT military or a diplomat then sell it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts