Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just bought a 99' S500 and am LOVIN it!!
I am still waiting for the owners manual from the previous owner as it was misplaced and am a little stymied by a few of the features.

I read somewhere that there is a feature that closes all the windows and sunroof when you hit the remore lock but mine doesn't seem to have this or I am not doing something right.

As well, how do you turn on the headlight wipers?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm dyin' to know and can't wait for the manual. [:)]

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
I am not sure about the convenience button through the key, I don't remember encountering that on a w140 but I could be wrong, as the w140s I have played around with were all older. But I do know that you can open/close all the windows by locking and unlocking the doors with the key from the driver's side and holding it there until they start to move. The headlight wipers are activated when you use the windshield washer feature by pushing in the turn signal/wiper stalk. If you can open/close the windows with the key fob, try holding the unlock/lock button continuously (about 5 seconds maybe)

·
Registered
1995 S600 (sold)
1,127 Posts
If you have the infrared remote, simply continue to hold the button down. If the windows and sunroof are open, they will close. There is also a way to get the front windows to open a couple inches, but I've forgotten how to do that. I'll look in my manual when I get home tonight.

The headlight wipers will only work if the headlights are on, and the windshield washer is activated. You will be able to see the shadows of the headlight wiper arms moving if you are close to a wall or another car.

·
Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
945 Posts
Welcome to BenzWorld Canajun Eh! :D

Man, I envy you . . . there's nothing like the feeling when you first buy your W140 and experience it for the first time [:D]

Have fun!
Bryan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Pc!

Thanks for the scoop! I had gone to a dealer this afternoon for an estimate on a scratch repair (done by a Vandal overnight while waiting for delivery) and the paint shop guy was very helpful in pointing out all the goodies. His dad has a 99' S500 just like it and lives in Florida.

By the way, this gentleman sees all kinds of Merc's all day long and kept telling me what a great car I had and how I would only appreciate it more as time wore on....I was quite impressed considering the stable he has access to on a daily basis. [:)]

I have NEVER driven anything that comes close to this car.....EVER!!

My Mother used to have a '56 Bentley S1 and that is the only thing that comes close.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like no way eh!

Now that's a beauty ride eh.....AND got room fur the brood and a few twofours!!

kidding aside, it truly is an experience and it'll take some serious GST to take the smile off this keebeckers face I'll tell ya!

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
They had a built in feature that would let you close the windows and moon roof but it would only work from 3 ft away, the lock and unlock would work from about 10/15 ft by using the remote (safety feature. I think the key also opens / closes the windows if you hold it. There was a feature that if the windows were partially closed and then locked with the remote, when unlocked they would go to the previous setting (I have not done it lately) and it might have been on earlier models.

·
Registered
S600, 350SL, C300
124 Posts
My 1999 S600 works like Peter described. Took me a while to figure it out as the unlock seemed to be random. Lock and hold - all windows and sunroof closes. Unlock and hold - all windows and sunroof go to previous position - usually[?] The lock & close feature is nice, but the unlock & do something seems a bit of overkill. Maybe made for elderly owners with CRS so they would not have remeber if the windows were open or closed before they went to buy their Geritol[:eek:)]
Jon [Flame suit donned]

·
Registered
93 300SE, 07 BMW 328i Coupe, 01 GSX-R1000
945 Posts
JNLeChevet - 2/22/2005 9:35 AM

My 1999 S600 works like Peter described. Took me a while to figure it out as the unlock seemed to be random. Lock and hold - all windows and sunroof closes. Unlock and hold - all windows and sunroof go to previous position - usually[?] The lock & close feature is nice, but the unlock & do something seems a bit of overkill. Maybe made for elderly owners with CRS so they would not have remeber if the windows were open or closed before they went to buy their Geritol[:eek:)]
Jon [Flame suit donned]
Come on Jon . . . the W140 is all about overkill! [8D] That is why we love it so much . . .

Regards,
Bryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts