Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 E320 CDI, It is my daily driver, here in MI.

Lately, it has gotten cold and if the car sits for more than a day I will occasionally get a message on the dash display telling me that the battery is weak and that convenience features have been disabled until the battery is charged up (or words to that effect).

This never happened in warm weather...even after the car sat for 2 weeks.

I'm assuming that this means that the main battery is going bad and not holding a charge well. It still starts the car fine. It's the original battery. I don't think this is related to the small under hood battery.

Although 4 years is not a great longevity for a battery, it is not awful.

Probably about time to replace.

I always replace my batteries myself and have looked for replacement batteries on the internet. Auto barn sells an Deka AGM battery for a (thrilling) $185. Advance Auto parts sells a conventional battery for $135...about double what I amused to paying. Not sure what a dealer parts counter would want...dealer is an hour away. I would guess A LOT.

Suggestions on what to get and comments on my interpretation of the dash panel warning?

- CitizenX

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
When was the last time the auxiliary battery was changed??

If it's got more than 3 years on it i'd change that one first and see what happens.. The larger battery should last a long time.. At least 5 years..

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
I agree, definitely check the secondary battery before you do anything.

As far as buying replacements, from what some people have posted in the past an expensive way is to call MB Assist and tell them your battery is dead (they'll come out and check for free), and have them replace it. People claim it's less than the dealer's parts cost (and you also get the convenience.)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Both are original

Both batteries are original. My understanding is that the small battery is just for supplying power to accessories while the engine is turned off. I would not think that you would get a message telling you that convenience features are turned off while the battery charges when the engine is running.

- CitizenX

If it's got more than 3 years on it i'd change that one first and see what happens.. The larger battery should last a long time.. At least 5 years..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm

I wonder how you would check on that...the price...before you call. And what if they check the battery and find it still OK...you out some fee for a jump and still have your old battery?

- CitizenX

I agree, definitely check the secondary battery before you do anything.

As far as buying replacements, from what some people have posted in the past an expensive way is to call MB Assist and tell them your battery is dead (they'll come out and check for free), and have them replace it. People claim it's less than the dealer's parts cost (and you also get the convenience.)

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Both batteries are original. My understanding is that the small battery is just for supplying power to accessories while the engine is turned off. I would not think that you would get a message telling you that convenience features are turned off while the battery charges when the engine is running.

- CitizenX

The aux battery is probably the culprit.. I would change it and see what happens. It takes less than 5 minutes to change (with a 2 minute break)..

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
I wonder how you would check on that...the price...before you call. And what if they check the battery and find it still OK...you out some fee for a jump and still have your old battery?

- CitizenX
Apparently you don't realize that Mercedes get free roadside assistance for the life of the car. It's just that what's "free" depends upon the age of the car. New cars get free assistance to the extent of their new car warranty. CPO cars get free assistance to the extent of their CPO/extended warranty. Non-warranty cars get free fuel/tire/battery assistance (but you pay for the actual materials). Go HERE and scroll down to Roadside Assistance.

//greg//

·
Registered
mercedes w211 e350, B200 w245, w212 e63 amg 6.2L
1,010 Posts
Ok heres the solution,
This same thing happend to my merc e350.
Mercedes checked the battery levels n took readings n they were fine.
The next day the battery died all the sudden, you honestly dont want that happenin.
I think you should replace both of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently started receiving the "convenience functions disabled" message on my 2005 E320 CDI as colder weather is upon us. The first time I saw it, the temperature was around 20F. After a few minutes of running, the "functions restored" was displayed.

This post seems quite informative:

MBWorld.org Forums - View Single Post - Battery Protection - Convenience Functions Unavailable

I ended up changing the rear battery with the Advance Auto battery. It was a spot on match. It was around $90 going through shopdiscover and using one of the many online Advance Auto coupons floating around.

I haven't seen the message again. It was 10F this morning.

It took less than 30 minutes to change the battery.

-TurboWells

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are right

The problem is a weak auxiliary battery. As a diagnosis, I parked the car and let it sit a week in freezing weather with a battery tender on the auxiliary batter only. This morning I fired the engine up with no problem and no disabled convenience features message on the console. Clearly the auxiliary battery is not holding a charge.

So the next question is what to use to replace it. It looks like a motorcycle battery, which should be like $60, bit when a do a Google search I find replacement batteries at like $180...which is crazy.

What's a good replacement battery for someone who has not taken total leave of his senses? And what does the aux. battery even do...other than generate error messages when it starts to die?

- CitizenX

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting

In my case it's the aux. battery that is causing the error message. Definitely not the trunk battery.

I guess the message comes up if either battery is weak.

- CitizenX

I recently started receiving the "convenience functions disabled" message on my 2005 E320 CDI as colder weather is upon us. The first time I saw it, the temperature was around 20F. After a few minutes of running, the "functions restored" was displayed.

This post seems quite informative:

MBWorld.org Forums - View Single Post - Battery Protection - Convenience Functions Unavailable

I ended up changing the rear battery with the Advance Auto battery. It was a spot on match. It was around $90 going through shopdiscover and using one of the many online Advance Auto coupons floating around.

I haven't seen the message again. It was 10F this morning.

It took less than 30 minutes to change the battery.

-TurboWells

·
Registered
78 Posts
Today I changed aux. battery. I decided to buy it from dealership. I couldn't find sealed in stores. It cost me 200 and took 10 min to change.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow

Today I changed aux. battery. I decided to buy it from dealership. I couldn't find sealed in stores. It cost me 200 and took 10 min to change.
That seems excessive. Wal-Mart has a replacement AGM battery for $65. It's a motorcycle/off-road vehicle battery made by YUSA in Taiwan and sold by Wally World as their (pretty yellow case) EverLast or EverStart house brand. Trouble is...only 90 day warranty. And I'm about to put the car in winter storage.

Guess I wait until spring.

- CitizenX

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only reason why I didn't go with third party batteries because they are not sealed. They come with distiled water and you have to put it in yourself.
Somewhere in this forum one of the users mentioned that he has troubles.
I'd rather spend extra $100 in 4-5 years but will sleep well. If something goes wrong with third party battery it will cost much more money to fix the damage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not water

Actually, it's not water, it's the sulfuric acid electrolyte that you add to activate the battery. This soaks into an AGM matrix matterial, activates the battery, you pop the caps on and you end up with a no-maintenance, sealed battery. The chances are nealy 100% that this is what you have. Yours was just charged with electolyte by someone other than you...which is not good if the battery sat on a shelf long.

I ordered a YTX-14BS YUASA AGM battery for $54. YUASA is a very respected Taiwan manufacturer of motorcycle and RV batteries.

I'm sure both our batteries will work fine. Note that my original MB OEM battery lasted just under 5 years...which is what I espect from the YUASA replacement.

- CitizenX

The only reason why I didn't go with third party batteries because they are not sealed. They come with distiled water and you have to put it in yourself.
Somewhere in this forum one of the users mentioned that he has troubles.
I'd rather spend extra $100 in 4-5 years but will sleep well. If something goes wrong with third party battery it will cost much more money to fix the damage.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,126 Posts
Mine is a 3rd party battery and it is as sealed as the MB battery.

Not sure why people would be under the impression that the OEM battery is the only
sealed AGM battery that works. There are at least 8 known ones that work at $100 or less.
In a couple of cases they are rebranded Yuasa batteries. Yuasa makes a very good product.

·
Registered
2006 E350
67 Posts
I've had my 2006 E 350 for two years When it is below freezing and I drive two miles in the morning, shut the car off for 10 minutes and restart it the low battery warning comes on. I can have the headlights off, rear window defogger off, heated seats off, and blower just on low and it still happens. Does anyone know how the heated washer nozzles cycle and how much they draw? I did replace the main battery last winter and it still does it. This past summer I tried driving the same two miles with the headlights on, both seats on hi, rear window defogger on and the AC on hi and it works fine.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aux. battery

You don't give the wording of you warning message, but if I were you I'd replace the auxiliary battery. If your main battery went you can count on the aux. being near death. It seems that they last 4-5 years and start giving the convenience features disabled message as they start to get serious about dying.

Look for YTX-14BS YUASA on eBay. There is a fellow in Florida who sells these for about $54 delivered. I bought one and it is what he says. Ships with a dry battery and electrolyte that you add (which is how a battery should be sold...they have infinite shelf life this way).

- CitizenX

I've had my 2006 E 350 for two years When it is below freezing and I drive two miles in the morning, shut the car off for 10 minutes and restart it the low battery warning comes on. I can have the headlights off, rear window defogger off, heated seats off, and blower just on low and it still happens. Does anyone know how the heated washer nozzles cycle and how much they draw? I did replace the main battery last winter and it still does it. This past summer I tried driving the same two miles with the headlights on, both seats on hi, rear window defogger on and the AC on hi and it works fine.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
2002 W211 E240 Petrol Saloon
41 Posts
I replaced aux battery but I'm still getting this warning. Can main battery trigger this?
Car starts fine.
My car is 8 years old with 51,000 miles on the clock. I am the second owner. It was garaged nightly for 7 years with the original owner, unfortunately 5 motorcycles are filling the garage so the car is parked outside at all times. With the onset of winter I noticed the 'electrical consumers switched off' message was appearing more frequently (it had been appearing beforehand, but less frequently) so I checked both batteries. The main battery was showing output of less than 12 volts, the auxiliary battery was showing output above 12 volts. I decided that now was a good time to replace the main battery, I'll check the auxiliary battery again in six months, once the output is showing less than 12 volts, then I will replace it.

I enquired at the MB dealership and was quoted £150 for the main battery, and £90 for the auxiliary battery. Searching online I found the equivalent main battery Yuasa Professional 100 12v 70Ah 650CCA Car Battery for £75 delivered, and the equivalent auxiliary battery Yuasa YTX14-BS 12v 12Ah Motorcycle Battery for £52 delivered.

I've now fitted the new main battery, and even after being parked outside for more than a week covered in snow, and with temperatures below freezing for most of the week, the 'electrical consumers switched off' message is no longer appearing.

Cheers

Stephen

1 - 20 of 21 Posts