Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post so forgive me if I am not sure of the protocall as I am kind off new at it . I recentley purchased a 1998 SL 500 while I was on vacation in Florida. The car runs great and has only 50K miles on it. There are a few problems that came with it that I have to address, the largest beign a leak in the hydrolic system in the conv top mechanisim. There is a small amount of hydro oil leaking out behind the drivers side rear wheel when the top is activated I am currentley just adding oil to the resiovor untill I can get at the problem. I am not afraid of tackling the job on my own but am unsure how to get to the cylinders or lines that are leaking and if there is any significance that the oil is leaking where it is. I have tried to purchase service & maint disc on E bay but they would not load so I am hoping someone out there has had this problem and can point me in the right direction. I don't want to make the job bigger than it may be by not fully understanding how to fix it right. Thanks Hoppy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff, Thanks Read the information and it helped. I found that the cylinder for the rear latch on the drivers side is the culprit. I also got a headsup from the thread on where to find the part without going directly to Mercedes. The cylinder delievered is only a $137.00. I am sure a phone call to mercedes would cost more. Again Thanks

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Welcome Hoppy45, If you have some mechanical knoledge, and take your time, then you too can save a TON of money doing some of the smaller repairs YOURSELF!!!!!!!! There is NO NEED to go to the Dealer to buy your parts at RETAIL!!!! shop around and enjoy the pleasure of doing it yourself!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts