Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to the conclusion that there's no way to remove the control arm with a pickle fork without ruining the boot.... 'cause i tried REALLY hard not to and failed twice..

Second thing that went wrong is that I tried to press the (upper, inner) bushings into the arm with a vice. There's no way to get them to line up- they always tend to go in a little cock-eyed. Of course when you get them into place in your vehicle and crank the bolt down it lines itself up; however, I would like to know how to get them to line up with the vice because it is painfully difficult to line the bolt up when the bushings are all cock-eyed.

I guess now that i ripped my boots that i have to replace my control arms (boohoo).. but can i get the upper inner bushings out without ruining them or do i have to buy new ones?

·
Registered
1978 240D - given to a friend; 1974 450SL
134 Posts
How tough a job was this? My mech says I need the upper control arms replaced "soon."

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JamieK said:
You can buy the upper boots seperately. Part number 116-586-05-33.

Jamie
Thanks!

Intruder: It's incredibly easy. The most difficult part is lining up the upper inner bushings so that you can put the bolt back in.

Don't ask me the specifics, but if you want it to be easy, use 2 jacks: 1 under frame and 1 under lower control arm. If you adjust the latter, it will be much easier to line the upper inner and outers back up.

First align the bushing as best as you can using a screwdriver to line it up fair, then use one hand and massage/rotate the control arm from under the fenderwell while using your other hand to push the bolt in. One side took an hour and the other side took 14 minutes from taking the wheel off to bolting it back on (e.g. if you know what you're doing, it's a 14 minute job).

·
Registered
1978 240D - given to a friend; 1974 450SL
134 Posts
Thanks for the tips. THe local non-dealer mech that specializes in Mercedes quoted $268 for parts (Upper Control Arms) and $225 labor. It didn't look like it would be that tough a job, especially once you figered it out. Might be the next Club project...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
by the way-- does anyone know where to buy MB parts by part number online? I don't have a dealer within 300 miles of me. We is poor out here.... .. and the rubber boot doesn't show up on any of the regular car parts sites.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts