Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2006 E350
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a lot of searching I finally found where this annoying sound that makes you think the underside of the car is coming apart seems to be originating from.

The rear half shaft is the culprit on the driver side...it is a sound that is like the splines are worn and spinning inside where they connect into the diff. At least that is what I think is going on, since I have not broken this area down and taken it out to be 100% sure...but I have verified the noise is from that shaft.

MY question is around the procedure to remove this shaft...do we have any DIY threads out there some where, because I dont see any when I do a search on the forum.

I thought it was the cardan joint on the front Driveshaft...but it's definitely in the rear, driver's side. It pops, you can feel it. Anyone out there remove this shaft? THANKS!!

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
17,237 Posts
Here are the instructions to remove the axle, the shaft might be damaged, but you will find that the damage was caused by the rear differential.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 E350
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the instructions....I hope the diff isn't hurt too bad. If it's the axle then I'm good to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts