Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 E300D
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so this has been on going for about 2 months now. My gauge cluster would work intermittently. When it stopped working, the only needle that would move was the fuel guage. It would vibrate and chatter very subtley and nothing else moved. The info displayed worked fine.

So I posted and a few members said they sent it off to various complanies that can fix gauge cluster issues. So I looked someone up, sent it to them, and now he called me today saying he cannot fix it.

So essentially I am back to square one and out $70 for shipping costs. I am really frustrated b/c there is no rhyme or reason for why it stops and starts working again. All connections are good, no loose wiring at all. I am really worried that it may not be fixable if a supposed "professional" cannot fix it.

So I am at the point to where I am going to have to learn to deal with it going in and out or try some other method to fix it. I can only imagine how much a new one costs.

So I have one last ditch idea of what might be causing the issue and was wondering if someone might have some advice on this. Since it seems the fuel gauge is the only needle moving (albeit minute vibrating and chattering) maybe the sending unit is going out in the tank? Would that cause a instrument cluster display to not work? It will still chatter for 10 seconds or so after I remove the key from the ignition.

I am throughly lost at this point and extremely frustrated:mad:. Any help to a fellow EClass owner would be welcomed. -Discouraged Chris

·
Registered
1996 E300D
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Addendum,

I see gauge clusters for sale on Ebay. Are any of these (I am assuming not) compatible with a 96 E300D? If so I would just roll with on of these and forget about it.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, CBF. I can't imagine a scenario in which the fuel sending unit would cause the whole cluster to be bad. Now if everything worked except the fuel gauge, maybe that I could see, but not with your symptoms.

The fact that you sent it in to be worked on and the guy says it can't be fixed seems to me to tell you all you need to know. It's broken and it can't be fixed. If it worked and it was a problem with the car it makes sense that the guy would have told you that (or else told you he fixed something but won't charge you or something like that).

I can't speak to the clusters on e-bay. Important things I buy from reputable sources. There are some places that sell used clusters and I suppose if you found a good used cluster from an early 210 it should work, although I don't know how your diesel cluster might differ from a conventional gas one (I assume it needn't say "unleaded fuel only", lol). There are some dealers who sell at a discount, you can check duvalmotorcars.com for a quote.

Personally I'd look used, although you'll have to figure out how to recertify mileage for your car.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts