Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this....my e-brake button is broken, the brake does not engage. The dealership ordered me a replacement (entire handle, that is the way it comes)...the replacement part arrived broken. They order a second one, it too arrives broken. Now I am told that this part has been suspended and no longer available; that they will contact me when the situation changes. In the meantime I have no e-brake.

Maybe I am just venting but this seems ridiculous to me. I hope they don't "discontinue" anything else while I remain under warranty.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
sounds like the front window regulators... they're re-designing the mechanism and until they fix it they don't want to keep shipping broken stuff... but man that seems like a safety hazard?

I would keep diggin' on that one... ask them if they pay for the damages when your car rolls away in san francisco and kills someone?

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E....that was exactly what I was thinking..you and I share the same SF streets... would hate to see a 6000lb vault on wheels hauling ass down Nob Hill!

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Gwag02 - 3/2/2005 1:56 PM

E....that was exactly what I was thinking..you and I share the same SF streets... would hate to see a 6000lb vault on wheels hauling ass down Nob Hill!
I would file a report with NHTSA. Go to their website. The forms are all there.

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks Dutch, I was actually kind of hoping you might know how I can handle this one. I'll check that out...

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
Shyte, one more thing to worry about [:(!]

I kept thinking I would buy a certified G and just extend the warranty for 3 years, and have no worries. Now that you mention it, the G will be discontinued, and because of the EXTREMELY low production of late model G's (MBUSA imported about 100 a month???) ... with all the faulty electrical gizmo's will MBUSA even have parts in a couple years?!?!

Not like they will stock pile thousands of parts, for a low production car, that they BARELY supported while they even were selling them .... and not like the continued Military G's will have any of the same luxury parts.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
not that i have any love of the new interior, but many of the electronics are shared with other vehicles so it shouldn't be too hard to get, but interior trim pieces would be at exposure since they're unique, but you face the same issue with all the trucks in that regard... technically you're at greater interior trim piece exposure with the older trucks since well, they're older, but they do have the benefit of 10 years time testing which is pretty unheard of for any vehicle (that was a big one for me). [:D]

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
ewalberg,

One more reason to look at Tommy's G!

Is Wolfgang in northern NJ .... like Tenafly?

·
Registered
2013 G63, 07 S550
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...this was the note that my svc rep forwarded me from parts requisitions:

PARKING BRAKE HANDLES ARE NOT AVAILABLE. PART IS SUSPENDED FOR SALE. HAVING A PROBLEM WITH PART.
WILL SEND FROM GERMANY AS SOON AS NEW ONES ARE AVAILABLE.

How can such a big company thats been making this box for nearly 30 yrs suddenly have problems with their e-brakes?

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
gwag02...

how can this happen? Lots of ways. It's a basic fact of a development and manufacturing environment, that no matter how hard you try, and especially when you don't try very hard, there will always be issues with anything that has recently gone into production. "Unintended/unanticipated consequences" of any change are always lurking and ready to bit. To me it's a fundamental aspect of anything recently released to production... and all we can hope as consumers is the the engineers and management involved in that product care a lot to minimize as best as possible those issues.

Throw in some turn-over in the engineering group, such that the fellow who has all the experience is gone and the new guy is doing the design... and no matter how many benefits and improvement the new guy can bring with fresh ideas, he just doesn't have the history to see more of the likely problems than the original guy.

More testing may have found the issue, but it could be a manufacturing process of a part that is inconsistent so the first parts of the press would have never displayed the defect with any amount of testing... it's when the materials go into full production then you get some new variation and voila!... you've got problems. ... and the more features, the more to go wrong. Teams with fresh ideas AND experience always get it done best...

For some perspective, in the "Legend keeps on driving" book... i think they said that since introduction in '79 they have been making consistent changes (however small) to the trucks to address this or that issue. Where i work, we have a device that's been in production since 1999 now, and it wasn't until maybe 2002 until we basically stopped having to make any changes for cost and reliablity issues, and it only has maybe 15-20 parts... and it's single use and disposable... only has to work once.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts