Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's Bahama Blue, which I don't like as much as my Sapphire Blue 320, I'm excited about the extra power. It's not here in TX so I had a dealer there check it out and they claim it is in really good condition. It is a 2002 with 17,000 miles. Do you AMG owners have any advice re: factors I should consider or landmines I should look out for? Or does this sound like a good move?

·
Registered
SLK55 //AMG
1,212 Posts
Where is the SLK32 located?
Maybe you could have a fellow member here check it out for you and maybe even drive it to see if the common issues have been taken care of.
Cheers!

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Make sure you get a copy of the repair history and run a carfax.

The extra power, handling, and brakes are very nice.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Bahama blue is an awesome color IMO, I'd love a 32 with that body [:D]

What color is the interior?

Coincidentally, saw a black 32 today with a blue designo interior.

·
Registered
SLK 350
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's in Dublin, OH--right outside of Columbus. If any members wanted to check it out, I would be happy to compensate you for your time. The dealer in Dublin (Crowne Eurocars) checked it out for me and it passed their buyer inspection with flying colors . . . but it never hurts to be cautious!

·
Registered
SLK 350
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dealer here in Houston ran a repair history report for me and Carfax came back clean. Are there any other services to check?

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts
RE: I don't recall anyone being disappointed with the upgrade from a 320....

The extra power is very significant and the car is easy to mod for even more.

·
Registered
SLK 350
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its interior is just the standard charcoal. Oooh, black with blue designo interior sounds pretty nice--although I wouldn't relish taking care of the black exterior with all the pollen here in Houston. Once I have a Bahama Blue car I may go ahead and do your blue map light mod, Shini; your pics of that at night looked awesome!

·
Registered
SLK 350
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

SteveL, you had Renntech's chip mod as well as something else if I recall correctly? How long ago was that? Have you had any repercussions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
I got news for ya. I have Bahama Blue 32 and everywhere I go, I get compliments. I mean everywhere. Everyone LOVES the color. Even some of my hard core Ferrari friends say that the color is great.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
I got news for ya. I have Bahama Blue 32 and everywhere I go, I get compliments. I mean everywhere. Everyone LOVES the color. Even some of my hard core Ferrari friends say that the color is great.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts

guido23 - 4/5/2005 5:15 PM
SteveL, you had Renntech's chip mod as well as something else if I recall correctly? How long ago was that? Have you had any repercussions?
Thanks!
I have Renntech pulley, ecu, cams, brakes, springs, and wheels. I also have Koni yellow adjustable shocks. No engine or performance repercussions but I think it is too firm and I am looking to change the suspension. It would be wonderful on a track but on regular crappy roads it is somewhat unpleasant. I was thinking about the Kleemann setup because it is supposed to quite progressive. Wish I knew someone who actually installed a Kleemmann suspension on an SLK.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
My advice is to get a MB dealer service dept or mechanic to check out the car, with the idea if the car passes, you will add that to the price. If it doesn't, then the seller must reduce the price or you forget the deal. It may cost a bit, but in the end it will give you something to count on. Some services even certify their findings.

I must be honest, I didn't have mine checked out. My reason was the price I got, it was $12k under NADA, and I felt if the car needed some repair, I could cover it. I also got a CarFax certification on the car, it was a one-owner in my state. Mine is black on black, exactly what I wanted.

One minor item, I believe in getting what you want, not settling for less. If the car is missing the right color scheme, I would pass on it. Of course, if the car is really in great shape, low miles, and a good price, you can change some things like interior colors.

Good Luck, and hoping you have good fortune in your quest! [:D][:)][^]

·
Registered
SLK 350
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Very cool, did you have to drive it down to FL for the mods? What was your before and after HP at the engine and at the wheel? What about before and after 1/4 performance? That's really encouraging to hear that you haven't had any engine problems or warranty service issues.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32
1,080 Posts

guido23 - 4/5/2005 10:15 PM
Very cool, did you have to drive it down to FL for the mods? What was your before and after HP at the engine and at the wheel? What about before and after 1/4 performance? That's really encouraging to hear that you haven't had any engine problems or warranty service issues.
Only the cams requires a very experience mechanic and I happen to know one. By the the biggest bang for the buck is a pulley. The pulley alone makes a large different. Renntech or * both offer good stuff. * worked with Powerchips to development maps specifically for 91 octane fuel which is all you can get in California. No need to drive to Florida for these mods, only if you want to do an 3.7 liter conversion or get a manual transmission which are both very large investments.

I'm sure I'm well over 400 hp although I have not dyno'd since. It costs like $85 around here for simply pulls which I think is a major rip. I'll have to dig up some performance stuff. I did some before and after runs from 60 to 120 for the cams, but not the pulleys. However, like I said, the pulley and SW is more than enough. They will get you right around 400 hp and 400 ft/lbs. 40 more hp with no additional weight makes a big difference.

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
Steve, care to give a roundabout guesstimate what the pulley, cams and whatever else ran you? I'd read a PM if you'd rather shoot it that way.
Thanks!
Nate

·
Registered
646 Posts
Some of the 2002 SLk32's had power loss problems..

I think a new or reprogrammed engine control solved it but I really don't know the details. Maybe someone here that had the problem can chime in.

I have a 2003 SLK32 and like it a lot. Very fun to drive.

Dave S.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
guido, didn't you go to Rice? This is a no brainer. If you love your 320 you'll have an oragasm after you buy the 32. Do it do it do it!!!!!!

How've you been? I'm envious now that the spring time weather is here. Wish I had a convertible again!

·
Registered
SLK 350
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Norb,

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been very well, thanks, how about yourself? If I move forward with this 32 you're welcome to a topdown cruise any time. But you'd better hurry up--I'm not sure Houston can stand perfect like this for much longer!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts