Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting Car Wax article on the latest Consumer Reports. Funny that two moderately priced liquid waxes topped the ratings. Top 5:
1. Black Magic Wet Shine Liquid Wax
2. Turtle Wax Carnauba Car Wax
3. Eagle One Nanowax
4. 3M Perfect-it Show Car Liquid Wax
5. DuPont Teflon Ultra Wax

·
Registered
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 SLK350
118 Posts
I have never heard much about Black Magic products. I would love to hear from some people that used this particular was.

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never used Black Magic either. I've had good results with Meguiars, Turtle Wax, 3M, and Eagle NanoWax. Last weekend, long weekend, I waxed my 3 cars with different brand waxes. I used Meguiars Gold Class on the 300SE, 3M Cleaner Wax on the M5, and Turtle Wax Carnauba Wax on the Miata. All the products did a fine job at producing a nice shiny surface. I fell the 3M product was easier to apply and remove, than the Eagle and Turtle Wax.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
Not a knock on C.R. but it seems like they only conduct their test using products that the "average" person would find on the Walmart/Target shelf. I laughed when I read the choices of products they tested and recommended for home theatre. Their best recommendation I wouldn't put in my kid's room let alone my theatre. I doubt they would touch anything like Zaino or Meg' stuff.

Roy

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
Wax is subjective, different people value different properties and no wax product does everything perfect. This is why the larger companies like Meguiars make dozens of different wax products. So what's best for one person is not necesserily best for another person. For example, I generally do not use cleaner waxes with fillers because I like to clay/polish first so the wax I use is more pure but to a normal consumer, the properties of a cleaner/wax with fillers and color enhancers would give better results to them. Also I use a wax on my silver car that has great reflectivity because silver (and most light colors) don't have depth so you go for reflectivity. When I had my black car I used a wax that had great depth and color enhancers to bring out the black and reflectivity is something that's natural to black. Also some people like waxes that are easy to put and remove and a wax that has long life that CR values may also be difficult to work with and cause streaking. Remember, CR does their testing with a bunch of scientist, not car enthusiasts and what's acceptable to a chemist may not be acceptable to me.

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
I really doubt that any professional detailer would agree w/ CR. There are a dozen really good products that do not even appear in that list. I didn't read the article, but suspect they didn't even test some of the real stand-outs. If they did they did not know what they were doing. I have almost never found CR ratings to agree w/ what I have actually found from personal experience. I would even go so far as to say that their top ten anythings would probably be my bottom ten whatevers. In short, they suck.

·
Registered
89 300SE
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you are all right. When you want to get professional looking results nothing compare to the high quality detailers products (i.e., Zaine, Klasse, etc.), and a 3 steps process (clay, glaze, polish). Other times a one step product, like the one tested by CR, does the trick.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Buellwinkle said:
Wax is subjective, different people value different properties and no wax product does everything perfect. This is why the larger companies like Meguiars make dozens of different wax products. So what's best for one person is not necesserily best for another person.
What he said ^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts