Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GL450; 2012 E350 Wagon; 1995 E32000 SL500 sold sad!); 1999 CL500 sold sad;
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had an after market trailer hitch installed on my 06 R350, and they did a good job overall. However, I have always had a slight squeak somewhere in the back and it seemed to become more constant over bumps; 70k miles on car.

I asked shop to take a look while up on the wheel alignment machine, but they found nothing; alignment very good though. Cured what I thought was a shock going bad, and a bump steer. Steers straight, no slight bump steer/slight cork screw over bumps. Now rides very normally.

At any rate, I ran the rear tires up on my two 7k #'s rated ramps for look in the rear, where the squeak seems to emanate.

I found some dented heat shields and straightened those. But still kept looking.

Well, loe and behold, there is a bracket that runs between the left and right exhaust pipes and just above the factory X brace for the trailer hitch and just aft of the rear differential. The bracket is factory twisted/bent to provide a clearance for the differential, but the twist takes it near the X brace. This bracket is stamped with a part # (gotta love MB detail).

I found that the movement of the exhausts just barely allowed the exhaust-pipe bracket to come down in contact with the factory hitch X brace. The factory left enough threads exposed in the hold-down bolts for the brace to allow for a couple of washers, which I installed, raising the bracket about 1/8-3/16"'s. Voila no more contact. Note that the bolts have "torx" head configuration, so I picked up a socket set and that was a fit to the bolt head. The bolts screw into the bracket and some welded nuts attached to the bracket. Very sanitary.

I took her out for a run over the types of roads that have been eliciting the squeaks. Gone! These vehicles are amazingly quiet when all fits together correctly.

I think this is going to be one of those MB's that will be rattle free at 300k miles. I also shot some marine grade corrosion fluid around in various places, while I was under there.

That's my report.

·
Registered
'08 MY R320 CDi LWB, '86 Pontiac Fiero SE 2M6, '10 Ford Fiesta 1.25 82 PS Zetec for city driving
53 Posts
These vehicles are amazingly quiet when all fits together correctly.

Bought mine with 3 months of the original MB warranty still to run - it has since spent 15 days over 4 visits in the MB workshop and must have cost MB 1000s of £s to correct all the original build errors to get rid of all the squeaks and rattles to my satisfaction. How the previous owners lived with them, I don't understand.

It is pretty quiet now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts