Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I apologize if this is posted somewhere already, I did a search and didn't find anything exactly on point. Second, I can follow wrench vocab only so far, but I shall do my best.

My wife bought an '89 190E (2.6l) before we were married, about 5 years ago. I inherited it you could say, both good and bad. It has about 140k miles. It runs pretty well--a little cold blooded at start, isn't overly responsive from a dead stop--all the regular stuff. However, I ALWAYS have heat coming from the defrost, it runs hot (hotter than even this model should) and I've changed the stat 2x in the last year. I'm not excited about putting a lot of money into the car, it doesnt' get driven a lot as is and I can't justify dumping a lot of cash into it right now. (Michigan's economy SUCKS, and we are young and newly married). Where would you go next, and how would I go about making these repairs myself? I know I could have vacuum problems, or fuse/sensor/relay concerns...any directions as to where to start would be much appreciated. Also, I don't have a schematic...are they available online anywhere?

Thanks in advance. Enjoy the wealth of info/advice you all provide.

·
Registered
'98 E300, '10 GL350 Bluetec
1,247 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Look a few postings down to find the one with the title "Thermostat housing cover...HELP!". You will find some good information there to get you started.

Please complete your profile so we know where you are, what type of car etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
Well first off, the defrost button IIRC turn the heat on full and the blower on full. So thats fine. The transmission in these cars is geard to respond well at top speeds and bog through most of 1st gear.

If its not starting in the cold, a new cold start valve would do you fine. As for the over heating. Your aux fan is probably not kicking in like it sohuld be which would mean your magnetic fan clutch is bad, which is a hundred to 200 dollar fix but if you are goign that way i would pull that soab and put in a flex-a-lite fan. They are highly reliable and take off the strain from the belt driven fan that is put on the engine.

shingleback said:
Please complete your profile so we know where you are, what type of car etc.

Good luck.
squintsmsu said:
'89 190E (2.6l), Michigan's economy SUCKS
Come on shingle I know you are better than that :p

·
Registered
1985 w201 Euro 2.3-16vlv / 1992 w201 2.6 Sportline Manual
6,726 Posts
Yes I did ;)

Have it in my trunk right now. Most likely will ship tomorrow. I have to send off something to edfreeman and z168 tomorrow as well so it will go out. PM me or email me your addy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts