Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a 2008 G55 with 52k miles earlier this year and broke the front differential. It was pretty aggravating and costly to fix it since the truck was out of warranty. I sold the truck with 59,000 miles to replace it with a 2008 G55 I found with 21k miles under warranty that was a more desirable color for me. At 30k miles I just broke the front differential again.

The G55 is my favorite vehicle but I'm getting pretty tired of this, has anyone else had this problem? Is it only 2008 models? I'm not able to find much information on it. I do offroad my G55 but not to the point where it should be breaking the differentials.

I have had 5 different G500's and never had any issue, this is only for the G55.

Any feedback? Any idea on an aftermarket solution to beef up the differential to prevent constant failure.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I did not mean to say limited slip differential. I just checked with my mechanic, it is the pinion gears that broke. I remember when my mechanic took it apart, it was broken into multiple pieces and there was a lot of metal in the fluid. The same thing happened in this newer G55 I have.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I had some similar things happen to me with a standard G-500.
You have to be real gentle with the diff lockers when using them, they are a pro-active "anti slip" system. That means you as the driver has to make the (hopefully) best decision when to activate them in time before you are actually need them. Having wheels spinning already, plus adding to much power too soon can be damaging to those locker gears.
That is what might have killed my diff.
Small hard metal pieces are being ground off those locker gears, eventual must have gotten into the large diff carrier bearing, right next to those locker gears. The bearing failed and spilled all its guts (metal rollers & pieces) into the diff housing. It probably didn't take that long before the ring gear picked up some of that debris and jammed it between itself and the pinion gear. It didn't look pretty for sure, the fun part was, it occurred some 800 miles south of the border, down the Baja.
Don't think had anything to do being a G-500, but somehow a driver/operator fault/issue, maybe the prior owner had started that demise.

That why I asked about the details, wanted to know if that left carrier bearing had failed in your trucks as well ......

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a month of the vehicle sitting at the dealership, I finally got it back and it drives great. The gears broke, I had a picture of the broken gear from my first one that we fixed but it's on my old computer.

I had my mechanic talk to the dealership (I had the dealership fix this one because it was under warranty and free), my mechanic confirmed the same exact part broke.

The G is out of warranty as of 12/11/11 of this year so hopefully it doesn't break again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts