Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'80 300SD
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into purchasing a 1984 500SEL to be a project car. It is in decent condition, but there are a few things that I am concerned with.

1. It has 303,000 miles on the clock
2. It pulls to the right (probably needs a front end alignment)
3. When I press the gas pedal nothing happens unless it is mashed into the carpet. I think it might have something to do with throttle linkage.
4. The driver and passenger seats need re-upholstered.
5. The trunk will not open. Is it just a bad seal?

Other than that it is fine. When I mash the gas pedal into the carpet and accelerate it shifts extremely smooth - Even better than my 560 and I thought that shifted excellently.

The car is teal metallic with a camel interior. Exterior is in excellent condition. Rust free.

Attachments

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,457 Posts
Hi,

Not to rain on your parade, but.............. A gazillion mile worn out SEL?

303K miles means lots of wear on any car, not singling this one out.

Pulls to the right issue starts with a real hard look at both the front AND rear suspension components. This alone could be pricey. Then there is the possibility the front sway bar can fail at the attachment to the upper control arm. They rust/bolt seizes.... not pretty.

The throttle issue starts with an adjustment.....

The trunk issue is more than a seal.

Sorry, MBL

But, that said, if that's what you want to do........... Good Luck to you.

It will be a project. [:)]

·
Registered
'80 300SD
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will definitely be a project if I decide to purchase it. There is a leather upholstery shop that deals with foreign cars, especially Mercedes right down the road from me.

I still havent figured anything out regarding the trunk though.

The car previously belonged to the former President of Century 21 Realty Corporation. All of the records are available.

Basically all I know is that I can get the car for 600 bucks. I'm just wondering if it's a good deal...

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Sounds like a good car if he throws you a couple hundred to get it out of his driveway.

Jonathan

·
Registered
'80 300SD
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to offer the seller 300 dollars.

Is there a way for me to adjust the throttle linkage?

I know this car idle's at 2000 and I will turn that down to 900 or 1000.

This will be my 2nd 126, so I am looking out for the problems.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
how do you plan on turning the idle down??? Seriously, I wouldn't touch that car w/ a 50 foot poll.

Jonathan

·
Registered
'80 300SD
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The idle control unit. Check out the thread "high idle hell"

My 560 has always idled between 900-1100 rpms.

I want to restore a w126 and I think this green 500 may be the one.

I am concerned with the miles, 300k is a LOT. However, I have driven it on
a few occasions and it shifts ultra smooth.

Added:

Jonathan, you probably know better than I about these cars. I was just browsing on your website. Good stuff there.

·
Registered
560/sel/sec/Jag XJS
1,930 Posts
Jimmy D....

Maybe you can help me....my spelling is for shit...how do you spell > MONEY PIT ???

·
Registered
'80 300SD
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A money pit is a good way to put it. I am having second thoughts about this car.

On a different note...

I may purchase a 1983 380SEL as my 2nd 126. The only thing with the 380 is that it shifts hard, the dealership is replacing the vaccuum lines which they think may be the cause. I told them to call me when it shifts good. It has 177,000 miles on it and its silver with a blue interior. Excellent shape too.

But....

with gas prices like they are these days I'd like to get an SDL

·
Registered
560/sel/sec/Jag XJS
1,930 Posts
JimmyD89 said:
A money pit is a good way to put it. I am having second thoughts about this car.

On a different note...

I may purchase a 1983 380SEL as my 2nd 126. The only thing with the 380 is that it shifts hard, the dealership is replacing the vaccuum lines which they think may be the cause. I told them to call me when it shifts good. It has 177,000 miles on it and its silver with a blue interior. Excellent shape too.

But....

Ya got ur heart set for the SDL....wait for it...B Patient..It'll happen.

·
Registered
03 ML500, 94 CADILLAC DEVILLE CONCOURS, 350ZR
975 Posts
JimmyD89 said:
On a different note...
But....
It not a bad deal for a part car.
Look over the record and see what have been done. The owner maintain it pretty well until recently I believe.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Ah well OK then as there is no idle adjustment on these cars...But I have had more then one customer come in w/ invoices stating that shops 'adjuted their idle' for anywhere from 30-100$...pretty funny.

If you are lucky this car won't cost you an arm and a leg... were I in your shoes I would take the car for a PPI to get a feel for just how much is wrong.. Could be the cheapest 100-150$ you'll ever spend.

Glad you enjoyed the site:)

Jonathan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts