• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,

I'm considering purchasing from a neighbor a 2000 C280 with only 30K miles for a really good price <$2K. This is potentially for my son to drive for his first car. I'd love to hear any feedback on what I should look for in this car before deciding to purchase it. I took it for a drive and it's a nice smooth ride. Everything appears to work except for the right side mirror motor. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,618 Posts
Seems good and way below retail. What's with all the dithering? There can be lots of little things one can check on these cars. Are you mechanically inclined?

Low miles. Do a normal used car check. Rust, leaks, safety insp, emissions, and if all turns out to be good consider buying it.

As a first car, I don't recommend it. He will ruin a nice car. Buy him a POS.

·
W163 and General Mercedes Gremlin
3,615 Posts
Hello folks,

I'm considering purchasing from a neighbor a 2000 C280 with only 30K miles for a really good price <$2K. This is potentially for my son to drive for his first car. I'd love to hear any feedback on what I should look for in this car before deciding to purchase it. I took it for a drive and it's a nice smooth ride. Everything appears to work except for the right side mirror motor. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Pete
Welcome Peter. :)

Seems good and way below retail. What's with all the dithering? There can be lots of little things one can check on these cars. Are you mechanically inclined?

Low miles. Do a normal used car check. Rust, leaks, safety insp, emissions, and if all turns out to be good consider buying it.

As a first car, I don't recommend it. He will ruin a nice car. Buy him a POS.
That's nasty MB-W202.
Just because both I (and possibly you perhaps) inherited POS first rides when we were young (and maybe not-so-smart) doesn't mean Peter should get by a POS ride for his son. ;):)

I say go for it, based on price, and allow him to gain some / learn some responsibility with ownership.

Reactions: PeteronMillPond

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments, MB-W202 and khomer2. I hear ya on not wanting to spoil him on his first ride. But for the price ($1500) and low mileage, I have to consider it considering the quality, safety etc.. And I don't think I could find a POS for $1500.00! 😅And trust me I'll be driving it as well. I'm telling him that we're owning both cars together and there may be times where he takes my car and I take the C280 depending on what we're doing and where. I'm also looking into getting a used 2017 Subaru Crosstrek.

I'm having a mechanic check out the C280 tomorrow. There's a couple of minor rust spots near the right front wheel on the exterior, but I can take care of that kind of work (or teach the kid to do it). So I'm just concerned about anything major that may be lurking. Thanks again. Glad I found this forum. I'm sure I'll be back if I end up purchasing it.

·
Registered
1999 C280, 2000 C280, 2000 C230K,2011 C300
668 Posts
There was a problem with rusting spring perch that you might check out if the car is from a snowy icy salted road type area. This is the metal cup shaped part of the frame that houses the upper part of the front springs.

I bought 2 W202s for our kids and the third kid got our car, a third W202. Mostly because I only wanted to have to learn how to fix one type of car.

Good safe car and reasonably easy to fix as most indie MBZ shops are quite familiar with them. All their friends always comment on how nice their MBZs are. The kids all live in the Bay area and I found an indie up there when the cars need repairs. The shop owner thought that W202s were great cars for the money and that is what his kids drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts