Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys- I have been reading these forums for a couple of months now; specifically on this W202 chassis and doing a lot of research. I have narrowed my choose to a simple C230.

I need a tittle help form you guys on the following vehicle that I am looking to purchase. I am primarily a BMW fan, own a E39 (like new with full receipts on everything done on the car) that I bought early this year.
This little gem (1997 C230) caught my eye and could become my DD.

Here is what I know about the car. The second owner purchased the vehicle late in 2011; and it is now selling the car. He bought the car because he needed a vehicle and purchased it locally from an older gentlemen. Now that he is a work truck; he does not have a need to the car anymore and therefore selling it.

I pulled the carfax report and it shows the car serviced at one of the local Mercedes Dealerships.
here is the maintenance history I know on it:

10/2002- maintenance inspection completed, fuel filter replaced.
5/2003- washed/detailed. Oil filter change. Maintenance inspection completed. AC system serviced.
10/2003- oil filter change.
10/2003- passed emissions test. (78,900 miles)
12/2003- engine check, washed and detailed.
3/2004- oil filter change.
10/2004- oil filter change
10/2004- passed emissions test. (91,000 miles)
6/2005- electrical system checked. Washed and detailed.
10/2005-passed emissions test. (104,000 miles)
10/2005-washed detailed. Engine checked. Maintenance inspection completed. Rear break pads replaced.
4/2006-washed detailed. Oil filter change. Engine checked. Maintenance inspection completed.
8/2006- Maintenance inspection completed. AC system serviced. Washed and detailed.
10/2006- Washed and detailed. Maintenance inspection completed. Brake fluid flushed/changed. Oil Filter change. State emissions inspections completed.
6/2007-Maintenance inspection completed. Oil Filter change. Engine/power train computer/module checked. (126,000 miles)
1/2008- Maintenance inspection completed. Transmission checked. (130,000 miles)
5/2008- Cooling system checked. Maintenance inspection completed. Engine power train computer module checked.
7/2008 - Maintenance inspection completed. Electrical system checked. (136,000 miles)
10/2008- State emissions inspections completed. Maintenance inspection completed. Oil filter change. (138,000 miles)
10/2008- passed emissions test.
2/2009- Maintenance inspection completed. Engine power train computer module checked. (143,000 miles)
8/2009 - Cooling system checked. Maintenance inspection completed
9/2009- Maintenance inspection completed. (146,000 miles)
1/2010-Differential checked. Steering suspension checked. Maintenance inspection completed. Brakes checked. Cooling system checked. (147,000 miles)
11/2010- State emissions inspections completed

I know I need to look out for suspension, wheel bearings, engine mounts, transmission, etc... How does this vehicle look? The car has not been driven much for the last 6 months (currently 151,000 miles). The exterior pictures show very well.
He is asking $3K. Going to look at it tomorrow afternoon.

I'd appreciate any feed back on items that i need to be paying attention to.
Thank you in advance-

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
i have owned many examples of W202 Mercedes, all kinds of engines and gearbox/transmission combos..

In my opinion, the 230 Mercedes engine is the best power to weight, aswell as fuel economy on the W202. I prefer with a manual gearbox, but auto is also fine..

The engines are known to be "bulletproof" aslong as you take care of it and do all the regular maintenance the mileage can go into the 400 - 500 000`s

The proof is always in the pudding, so go check the car. If it feels like a good buy, then purchase. The 230 engine is excellent on the W202, and thats my experienced opinion.

All the best! I hope you do get it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have owned many examples of W202 Mercedes, all kinds of engines and gearbox/transmission combos..

In my opinion, the 230 Mercedes engine is the best power to weight, aswell as fuel economy on the W202. I prefer with a manual gearbox, but auto is also fine..

The engines are known to be "bulletproof" aslong as you take care of it and do all the regular maintenance the mileage can go into the 400 - 500 000`s

The proof is always in the pudding, so go check the car. If it feels like a good buy, then purchase. The 230 engine is excellent on the W202, and thats my experienced opinion.

All the best! I hope you do get it!
I appreciate the feed back, everything that I have read about the W202 has been positive, given the correct maintenance. Any specific items to look out for?

Thx!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fanally tracked down the dealership where the car eas serviced.
We got onnthe phone and compared notes; the vehicle had oil changes done every 7K miles. Ball joints were needed but the service was declined at the time.

According to the service advisor, it would need the following to bring it up to par with its maintenance:

1. Differential Oil change
2. Power steering flush
3. spark plugs
4. Coolant flush/ service
5. Oil change

Service quoted me $1000.00 more or less without looking at any suspension work.
Car has not been driven much at all for 6 months. Still not sure what the wheel bearing issue is or miliage interval.
We'll see tomorrow when i take it out for a run...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Use the dealer info to bargain down the price.

Anyone, I mean any good repair shop can do the work you've listed, and figure it to be 1/2 of what the dealer is asking.

Always get a pre-purchase inspection before you buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use the dealer info to bargain down the price.

Anyone, I mean any good repair shop can do the work you've listed, and figure it to be 1/2 of what the dealer is asking.

Always get a pre-purchase inspection before you buy.
Absolutely, did my homework today before checking out car tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update: saw the car today

Update:

Went to go look at the car. Cometically the car is an 8 out of 10, but i did find a few things that did not give me a good comfort level.

-For starters, the car has been sitting since Sept. 2011
-Both tags are expired since 2011
- engine ran very rough at idle, shaking the car but accelerated well.
- radio does not work, the word "wait" is on the display and that's as far as that.
- center vents do not blow air
- transmission shifts a little rough
-both back windows do not work
- there are bolts missing from the driver's seat, it wobbles since it is not secured well to the floor. i guess no biggie since i can bolt it down. But the seat does not move forward or backwards
- and the worst, i checked the oil and it just looked horrible. Almost whitish color, just looked terrible. :eek:

the guy was asking 3K, he told me he did not do anything to the car in the short 8 months he drove it. That's just criminal!
You know, he wants to get rid of it and i suppose i could just offer him half of what he wants but i just dont know what i have in my hands.

Its just horrible to see a W202 mistreated like this, the car shows well from the outside and the interior is clean. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unless you are mechanically able to fix all of that yourself and you can get it for $1000 keep looking.

What's your location?
I'm in Houston. All that I would need is a DYI of the issues and i could do it I suppose. Two things are a big concern: Oil looked real bad, and engine idles very rough. I dont have a problem offering $1K, but need to know how to start diagnosing these issues and what is going to cost me on parts, time, etc...

Anyone in Houston up for a project ? :)

·
Banned
2008 C200K (W204) & 1998 SL500 (R129) Imperial Red
3,373 Posts
nah it sounds more like a parts car..

there are many good examples of the W202 C230 out there, keep looking comrade..

This once will cost you more on repairs and it will never come right.

spend your money wisely, especially if you plan to use it as your daily driver

1 - 14 of 14 Posts