Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I currently own a Lexus GS400 and am considering buying 2008 or 2009 C300 Sport. I would look for a car with around 45K-60K miles on it. Considering that I intend to keep the car for about 4 years/48K miles, could you please help guide me regarding the following

1. What services I need to look for to make sure they have been performed on the car? And what services would I need to perform on the car while it under my ownship.

2. Any recomendations on the best warranty that I could get for this car and how much does it usually cost?

3. CPO vs. Non-CPO - What is the usual price difference between the two and which option should I go for.

Any other thing that I need to consider - Thanks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Hi Guys,
I currently own a Lexus GS400 and am considering buying 2008 or 2009 C300 Sport. I would look for a car with around 45K-60K miles on it. Considering that I intend to keep the car for about 4 years/48K miles, could you please help guide me regarding the following

1. What services I need to look for to make sure they have been performed on the car? And what services would I need to perform on the car while it under my ownship.

2. Any recomendations on the best warranty that I could get for this car and how much does it usually cost?

3. CPO vs. Non-CPO - What is the usual price difference between the two and which option should I go for.

Any other thing that I need to consider - Thanks.
I would strongly advocate the CPO, as that car will have had a more thorough inspection, repairs as needed, and maintenance. Ideally, try to find one which was sold new by that same dealer, and ask to review the entire service history since new, which will identify potential issues. They may even get the original owner on the phone for you. Edmunds.com will give you the best idea about the CPO value, as they list used car prices, certified or not. Once you have the car, and the dealer confirms its maintenance status, just follow the owner's manual from there.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
I also recommend CPO, due to mileage, plan to keep car 4 years, and need for a warranty. The Mercedes warranty can be extended up to 2 years at time of purchase for $2K+. These cars are surprisingly reliable.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I will also consider a CPO and find out if they will offer you some extra warranty I heard last time I went to the dealer. Is something close to 135,000 miles and an extra year. You will love the C300 i never had a mercedes Benz and im loving my c300 as of now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Why not go for lower mileage? A quick search of a local dealer with a 100 used mercs (all models) showed 4 2008-09 c300s with less than 30k miles. One had 7k miles. My observation has been that age drops the price of a car faster than mileage. I bought my low mileage c280 with 6 months left on the factory warranty--six months to drive the heck out of it and see if anything broke. Then on my own. Figure I saved $2-3 k over similar car from a dealer. Mentally put that into the emergency maintenance fund. That said, I think I'll just lease my next car (in about 10 years)

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Why not go for lower mileage? A quick search of a local dealer with a 100 used mercs (all models) showed 4 2008-09 c300s with less than 30k miles. One had 7k miles. My observation has been that age drops the price of a car faster than mileage. I bought my low mileage c280 with 6 months left on the factory warranty--six months to drive the heck out of it and see if anything broke. Then on my own. Figure I saved $2-3 k over similar car from a dealer. Mentally put that into the emergency maintenance fund. That said, I think I'll just lease my next car (in about 10 years)
What model year is your C280 (can't tell from your profile)?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
The '08s pretty much are just now coming out of warranty and a lot of them have pretty low mileage. That's the ticket.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Another thing is to consider how much a reported accident drops the cars value. A minor accident that before the days of car fax didn't matter now does. Problem is you cant always tell if the accident was minor. Will a dealer cpo a car with an accident on the car fax. Cars are often fixed up so you really can't tell they were ever hit. The car I mentioned above with 7k miles had been sideswiped. Is that better than rear ended or front ended because the frame is more likely to remain intact? Should you run from a car with an accident on the car fax or embrace the savings it offers? My 2007 had a reported accident 2 years before I bought it and I seem to have come out ok. Still don't know if it was a good gamble or if I was just lucky.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts