Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was trying to purchase an '05 230k that i saw at a phenomenal price which was a certified pre-owned however because of the great deal on it i was too late.

So i have been looking around and found another good deal or too but the miles are higher (50k vs. 38k) and also not a certified pre-owned. So that doesn't bother me tooooooooo much as i can work on cars myself and things that i don't want to take the time to do i have a great indy shop that does my work for me.

I have been searching and noticed the "big problem" on these cars are the oil in the connectors issue. Should this be the main thing i check on the car at the dealership? From what i was reading it appears a simple thing to pop the cam cover off and just unclip the connectors and see if oil is in them correct? I was thinking that as long as it was "clean" i would do the repair i read on the forum anyway just to be safe. If they are not clean i will probably pass on the car.

After 50k are there any major service intervals i should be aware of that will add cost to the price of purchase? Also, what is the easiest way to find out the service history on the car once i have the VIN #?

Thanks so much

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
If it is an auto, you will want to do the trans fluid flush at somewhere around 50 or 60k. That's not a cheap service but it's a few hundred dollars to plan for. Most of the rest of the problems with these cars are minor or uncommon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would get a shop to stick a scope into each piston and check the valves for carbon buildup. Pass on any car that has this.

With this engine, I would only buy one with an extended warranty.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,126 Posts
I would get a shop to stick a scope into each piston and check the valves for carbon buildup. Pass on any car that has this.

With this engine, I would only buy one with an extended warranty.
Yeh, absolutely. That seems to the killer for this engine, but wasn't 2005 better?
So yeh, the oil in the connector issue, also oil in the tranny connector.
I wouldn't buy it unless you get a warranty.

The 320 while not as fuel efficient is less prone to problems, likely you could pick one up about the same price.

·
Registered
2005 230 Kompressor
341 Posts
By 2005 many of the problems were corrected for this model. If you are buying from a dealer, check to see if this service was performed under a recall and/or during certification. Most of the certified pre-owned Benz's get a majority of these issues addressed during the inspection process prior to actual certification and sale.

At least it was with mine. But I had to ask as opposed to them telling me.

When I bought the car they gave me a copy of the work order noting all of the replacement/recall issues that were fixed during certifcation (oil lines/connectors was one of the items), so you might ask if you find a car you are interested in.

You need to adhere to all other normal maintence schedules to keeping things running correctly (it is a Benz and can be fussy at times), but I have found my ride to be very reliable, even with the M271 engine and I can still pull down 32-33 mpg at 70+.

·
Registered
W124, W203, W204, W251
121 Posts
Buy the certified one or get the extended warranty!
I bought mine when it was still under warranty and I got the cam-leak fixed, but the dealer BS me. They only changed the gasket, not the cam-magnet......I pulled the connectors off and it's coated with oil.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeh, absolutely. That seems to the killer for this engine, but wasn't 2005 better?

The 320 while not as fuel efficient is less prone to problems, likely you could pick one up about the same price.
There are 2005s with these problems, the rest seem to be fixed:
- vent hose
- cam sensors
- valves

I agree on the C320. I drove one with a few mods and it was fun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts