Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have never had a w202 before, but have had plenty of Mercedes. I have had 7 w201's, 6 of which were 2.6, my current one is a painfully slow 2.3. Lately I have been thinking about getting a w202, more specifically a pre 97 c280 (I miss having a Mercedes inline 6) I am familiar with M104's and I have no issues with working on them if need be (Former service tech at an inde shop) what I would like to know is if anyone on here has also had a w201 and how you you guys like the 202's? what are some common issues you guys face? any bolt on upgrades from other MB cars? (ie, I have w124 brakes all around and 124 front swaybar on my w201) I want something a little newer, and the fact that it has a little more rear passenger space is a plus too, my daughter's car seat just barely fits in the back of my 190e.

My 190 needs work, and it's really just a matter of, do I fix it and keep it? or do I sell it and get something a little newer?

Also, I would like to add that one of the reasons that I am considering stepping up to a 202 is because I am sick and tired of the old Bosch K-Jet CIS crap and I want REAL fuel injection, lol

Any input is much appreciated

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Hi and welcome!
I have owned a few W201's. I have a 85 190D with a 5 spd and a 92 Sportline with a 2.6

Currently have a 99 C280.
There is no comparison between the W202 and the W201.
W202 wins hands down. Not sure where to begin. Bigger, Faster, more comfortable, better MPG, more modern amenities like fold down rear seats, and better sound system (I Have original Bose) much better a/c and on and on.

Good luck.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my202 is slow as hell. But I never have to race to the gas pump. Well worth it. :)

cant be slower than my 190e 2.3.... I had to advance the timing when I first got it just so I could make it up a hill without feeling like I was going to die, lol. and with the Bosch K-jet messed up, I'm only getting 15mpg out of a 4 banger!

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi and welcome!
I have owned a few W201's. I have a 85 190D with a 5 spd and a 92 Sportline with a 2.6

Currently have a 99 C280.
There is no comparison between the W202 and the W201.
W202 wins hands down. Not sure where to begin. Bigger, Faster, more comfortable, better MPG, more modern amenities like fold down rear seats, and better sound system (I Have original Bose) much better a/c and on and on.

Good luck.
How do you like the feel of the v6 compared to the older 2.6? I personally love the feel and sound of the straight six, thats what got me hooked on these cars back in high school. also, how would you compare the handling of your c280 with your sportline?

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
I loved my 202. Even the C220 had plenty of pep especially with kick-down feature... not sure about hills, I used it in a flat-land area.

Very comfortable, pretty spacious for a "compact" car. Certainly feels a lot more modern than sitting in a 190E. Just check into the wiring harness problem, as far as I know that's the only issue that really plagued those cars. I think some of them didn't have the problem. I heard something about the 220's not having that issue but don't know for certain.

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
The Sportline "felt" like it was accelerating faster and it had a slightly deeper growl in the exhaust.
But that said, I have no doubts that the C280 IS faster and is a ton smoother that the 190 was. Not to mention almost no cabin noise either.

I totally agree with RJB, you cant beat a W202

Mark

·
Registered
1998 Mercedes C280, 2000 Mercedes E320 4-Matic
373 Posts
My 98 C280 definitely wins. The ride and handling is so much better. Also, in the 190e I felt I had to wait for power, the 280 gives it to me. Inside it's nicely updated and although I miss the real wood it still has a good solid build quality. The only plan I have to figure out what to do with the stereo, get some dings and knocks sorted out and new headliner. My mechanic states its a great car for an upgrade and won't be horrible to work on.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
a/c 202/201

Is the a/c system in the 202 really a lot better than the 201? My '85 190D 2.0 (71K) a/c is ice cold until the outside temp gets in the mid/upper 90's, then I have to park it until the next morning because it just won't cool the car. I'm frustrated with this and about to consider a Volvo. Enlighten me on the 202 a/c system, please.
Beverly

·
Registered
1999 C280
898 Posts
Beverly, hi.
Yes the a/c system in the W202 is superior to the W201 system.
I live in New Mexico at 6500 ft (the sun is HOT) and it has been over 95 every day here for a few months.
My windows do not have aftermarket tint and the car is hot getting in after sitting in the sun all day but the a/c cools it down very quickly. Within a few minutes literally.
I do have the benefit of a light color interior and the car is smoke silver.
You will love the difference in the systems!

Mark

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
For this reason I think maybe I should go 202 over 201... I owned a 202 in Phoenix (C220) and the A/C seemed to work beautifully as best as I can recall. It gets over 100 degrees consistently during the summer months out there.

I had no problems with it.

·
Registered
1996 E320, 2005 Toyota Camry
1,810 Posts
a/c

Thanks for the posts on a/c 190 vs. 202. I'm going to look at a C Class in the next few days (afternoon when it's HOT) and see from there. However, I have another question: what years models of the C Class have problems with the "decaying" engine harnesses? I've read a few horror stories on that. Any input?
Beverly

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Thanks for the posts on a/c 190 vs. 202. I'm going to look at a C Class in the next few days (afternoon when it's HOT) and see from there. However, I have another question: what years models of the C Class have problems with the "decaying" engine harnesses? I've read a few horror stories on that. Any input?
Beverly

94-96 have the harnesses that recycle themselves for you. The 97-98 230s are the best (I'll say '98 because of the refresh wins).

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
I'm one who actually prefers the pre-facelift cars, anyone else? I don't like the newer styling on the facelift cars for some reason. I think 96-97 are the best because you get the mid-facelift (i'll just call it that) because they added the burl wood and newer climate controls, along with newer buttons, etc. but, no new body parts.

So, ideally I want to find a 97.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well after reading some reviews on line and the various posts on here, I think I am going to end up going with the post face lift (I personally like the styling better, and I prefer the 5 speed auto with the ability to manually shift through the gears :) even though I do understand the problems that those trannies sometimes have) and I am going to go for either a c280 sport, or a c230 kompressor.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Sounds great, will this be your first MB? This will be a great car. The 202 is a very respectable model, very well built compared to the newer stuff.

Edit: Never mind, I see you have a 190. It should be a nice upgrade!

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds great, will this be your first MB? This will be a great car. The 202 is a very respectable model, very well built compared to the newer stuff.

Edit: Never mind, I see you have a 190. It should be a nice upgrade!
This will be my 9th MB, lol I have had 7 w201's and a w124 wagon. 6 of the 7 201's and the 124's were all m103 powered. I also used to work for a MB inde shop.

·
Registered
300SEL 6.3 (1972), 300E (1990), C280 (1994)
196 Posts
Hi
Actually I've found a 1994 C280 with a low milage (87,000 km), Automatic transmission, electrically adjustable seats, and many other things, here is the VIN: WDB2020281F082535

This is gonna me third Mercedes, I own a 300SEL 6.3 and a w124 300E (manual), I'm considering to swap W124 with this W202.
I've just got 2 questions: internal room space of the cab compared to W124? specially the space for rear passengers (legs) ? Is it bigger than W201? don't care if the trunk is much smaller than w124.
And if there is some electrically problem with some 104 engines which may be diagnosed with vin code? (I mean if series of them are faulty, as someone already mentioned 94-96 may be faulty.)
Anyway the car is super clean, spotless, and engine works smooth and everything seems fine. Any tip/advice to check before buying? I've learned many things about KE jetronic in past year while troubleshooting my 124, but I and don't know much about 104 and new fuel injection system, just general things.
How can I recognize if it has a faulty Oxygen sensor or ...?
Regards

1 - 19 of 19 Posts