Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on an R-class. I have a couple questions.

1. The sport appearance package includes blue tinted glass on all the windows. I've never seen this before. I was wondering if anyone in the forum has done it and might have some pictures to post. Without seeing it in person it's hard to know whether or not it would look good, or too pimped-out.

2. I like the 19" 5-spoke wheels that come with the sport package. But I was also looking at the 20" AMG 5-spoke wheels on the accessories page when you build it on the website. Does going with a larger wheel affect the car's ride--i.e. does a larger wheel = a less comfortable ride? Or is it just for aesthetics. Again, if anyone has this wheel on their R-class, I'd appreciate it if you could post a photo.

Currently we're looking at the BMW X5 and the Audi A6 Avant, but the R-class looks like it's going to be the winner. It's hard to beat the space and the third row seating. And it drives much better than I expected it too. I didn't really like the look of the R-class at first, but it's really growing on me the more and more I see it.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
557 Posts
Bigger wheels are cool looking but real pain in terms of maintenance. And yes the ride is definitely harder with bigger rims. The bigger the rime the better chance for bubbles on the tire when going over pot holes etc., Make sure you get all the tire coverage or you will be sorry. With 18-19 you will be OK but bigger....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello everyone,

I didn't really like the look of the R-class at first, but it's really growing on me the more and more I see it.

Thanks,
Dan
That's it you have been hooked! it will keep growing on you until you get infatuated with it like the rest of the R owners!

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's it you have been hooked! it will keep growing on you until you get infatuated with it like the rest of the R owners!

Good luck
Yeah, I was at the NY Auto Show today. They have two R-class's on the floor. One in titanium silver and one in alpine rain. I thought they both looked great. Almost a toss up, but I think I'm leaning towards the silver with a black interior.

I wish I could just see what the blue tinted windows looked like though, instead of the privacy glass. Neither one at the show had it, and my local dealer didn't have any with the blue tint.

We only put about four thousand miles a year on our car, so I think I'll probably go with the regular R350 instead of the Bluetec.

·
Registered
2006 R350
191 Posts
The blue tint windows are the same as on the sport pkg. C-class. I'm sure they've got a bunch on the show room floor.

MB says 21" is the most you can go on the R (although I have seen bigger), and the ride will for sure harshen up at 22". If I put another set of rims on I won't go bigger than 20", but that is also b/c the wife drives the car and has the kids in it a lot and especially when we do our weekend trips.

Also, Alpine Rain w/ the Blue tint, 21" Alanz M-B rims...priceless. And if you can find a R500 in that color/combo, jump at it.

·
Registered
'06 R350
143 Posts
Yes there should be plenty of E and C class with blue tint at dealer. But does that mean you will lose the rear privacy tint if you go for blue tint? I think the blue tint is awesome with sedan but for privacy concern it's not of any help.

My worry with larger wheels is always curb damage by "the other" driver... If you have AirMatic than ride quality shouldn't be too much of a concern.

R probably does not turn as sharp as an X5, its versatility and comfort is 2nd to none. A6 does not have 3rd row. Make sure you get an 7-seater because you will always need that 7th seat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input guys.

I think I like the 19" 5 spoke wheels--the ones that come with the sport appearance package and are now standard on the Bluetec--are going to be fine. I like the way they look, and I don't feel the need to shell out for the 20" AMG's.

Here are two low-res, iPhone pics I took at the New York Auto Show.

According to the brochure, the Bluetec's are supposed to come standard with the blue tint. You can then add the privacy glass over the rear windows at no additional cost.

Maybe, it's just the lighting indoors at the show, but the Bluetec Alpine Rain R didn't appear to have any tint on the windshield or driver's side windows.

I'm going to stop back into the dealer to check out some E and C class's with the tint as you guys suggested.

R. Reyes, you said you liked the Alpine Rain with the blue tint. Have you seen it in person? I really liked the Alpine Rain, but since it has some light blue in it, I was thinking putting blue tint on the windows might be too much---it just turns into one big blue car. That's why I was leaning towards the silver.

Also, do all of you R-class owners go for the privacy glass? Is that primarily a security item so people can't see whatever you have inside the car?

Thanks again,
Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 R350 - Wife's ride 92&93 190e Project & parts car 2011 F150 Daily
377 Posts
Go with the 20" wheels, there are more options, and the tires are generally cheaper than 19"! You will not notice a change in drivability!

·
Registered
2006 R350
191 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys.

I think I like the 19" 5 spoke wheels--the ones that come with the sport appearance package and are now standard on the Bluetec--are going to be fine. I like the way they look, and I don't feel the need to shell out for the 20" AMG's.

Here are two low-res, iPhone pics I took at the New York Auto Show.

According to the brochure, the Bluetec's are supposed to come standard with the blue tint. You can then add the privacy glass over the rear windows at no additional cost.

Maybe, it's just the lighting indoors at the show, but the Bluetec Alpine Rain R didn't appear to have any tint on the windshield or driver's side windows.

I'm going to stop back into the dealer to check out some E and C class's with the tint as you guys suggested.

R. Reyes, you said you liked the Alpine Rain with the blue tint. Have you seen it in person? I really liked the Alpine Rain, but since it has some light blue in it, I was thinking putting blue tint on the windows might be too much---it just turns into one big blue car. That's why I was leaning towards the silver.

Also, do all of you R-class owners go for the privacy glass? Is that primarily a security item so people can't see whatever you have inside the car?

Thanks again,
Dan
Yes, I have seen the Alpine Rain w/ the blue tint, which is why I suggested it. You can't really see it on the driver/passenger as I believe it's a lighter shade, but it's really impressive. I think if I could do it over again, I would go white, or Alpine Rain w/ the blue tint. I love my black, but after seeing a few on the road I would for sure make the switch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I have seen the Alpine Rain w/ the blue tint, which is why I suggested it. You can't really see it on the driver/passenger as I believe it's a lighter shade, but it's really impressive. I think if I could do it over again, I would go white, or Alpine Rain w/ the blue tint. I love my black, but after seeing a few on the road I would for sure make the switch.
Just curious, the Alpine Rain w/blue tint that you saw, did it also have the black privacy glass on the rear windows?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not yet...the new 2010's are supposed to be out by end of summer. It's only a couple of months so I'm going to wait.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts