Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1996 s320
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into picking up a C3 Star Diagnostic tool for work on my '96 S320. A quick search came up with this site

Has anyone dealt with these folks? I'm kind of leery of purchasing from these offshore sites. From what I have read on various forums people have had variable results in purchasing these counterfeit versions and the equipment is of variable quality.

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,845 Posts
I was looking also for a Star system. I was getting different results depending on what OBD reader was used. There are a bunch of Asian units out there but I am very leery of anything made of Chinesium. Found a guy in Florida who listed his phone number and info on eBay. Said he was selling an European knockoff. I bought one from him for my mechanic (took it out in trade). Very pleased. I think he is on one of the other forums. The last info I had was: Peter Christiansen [email protected]
Anziani

·
Registered
1996 s320
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't come across any ebay ones - mainly two sites - the one I posted and aliexpress. Was the one you purchased an OBD-based tool or the Mercedes diagnostic port tool. For my car I already have an OBD tool but I need something that will read/reset the Mercedes-specific codes. SRS codes for example.

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,532 Posts
Don't waste your money on the C3 . I bought one & tought it was the perfect tool ,i was wrong . After about say 10 scans ,it constantly shows an error , making it absolutely useless.
Now i bought the C5 ,i have already scanned half of Sydney's W140's ,lol.
Perfect scanner with all the bells & whistles . The C5 has more programs to it & can scan any MB up to the w222 & maybach . You also paying to much for the C3 you added in your link .
Follow the links in the attached link below ,look around .
Don't forget that when you buy a C3-4 or 5 that they need to be activated by the seller online . Buy from a well known seller not a one of knock of seller ,i didn't know this so i lost all support when i bought the C3 (no help/support what so ever) .
You couple this to a Dell D630 or the Lenovo Thinkpad X61 , the Lenovo is cheap enough / is faster then the Dell & has tilt/turning screen with Pen Touchscreen as well which makes it much easier then to use a Mouse .
You also end up with Windows 9 or 10 ( i think mine is Win 10) not the slower XP .
I bought that separate & a nice Hard-case to fit it all in .
The mouse in below pic was used as plan B .

·
W140 Moderator
"CHRIS" Merc 92 600SEL / Sold > 93 600SE / 93 S500 / 89 560SEL / 413CDI / B180-CDI /A170-CDI
7,532 Posts
This is from where i bought my C5 from .
C5 plus cables plus SSD not hdd ( hard drive ).
SSD is more stable ,another small detail to look into . Full support from Alan provided ( awesome guy that Alan).
  1. You buy the Laptop from a 2nd hand shop ,you dont need to buy the complete package as it still needs to be activated just the same ,lets say it needs to be married to your internet ID not the sellers .
AU $539.64 | Best Quality MB Star C5 SD Connect Compact 5 with CF19 Laptop Star C5 Diagnosis V2019.9 Software for Car Truck

·
Registered
1996 s320
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the useful input. The price for the C3 was higher because it included the laptop. There are cheaper routes but you require the user to install the software on their own laptop and from my research, people have had issues getting the install working properly. I was hoping for a more turn-key system.

I wasn't sure that the C5 would support the w140 so I was avoiding it. It looks like the site you purchased from was aliexpress - which I had looked at for the C3 system. The C5 runs a couple of hundred USD more than the C3 and I'm not sure I will need all of that functionality as I expect it mostly applies to the newer Benz models. For your C5, did you purchase your own laptop? The one listed on aliexpress was a Panasonic model. Site says CPU with 4GB ram - which sounds wrong to me for running windows.

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
417 Posts
I upgraded to a c4 needed to be able to work on newer vehicle, I still have the old C3 setup with Dell Laptop.
I'm willing to sell it if you interested.
I check it out today and send you a price.

C4 and C5 are the same b.t.w. only difference is the housing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
417 Posts
I have been looking into picking up a C3 Star Diagnostic tool for work on my '96 S320. A quick search came up with this site

Has anyone dealt with these folks? I'm kind of leery of purchasing from these offshore sites. From what I have read on various forums people have had variable results in purchasing these counterfeit versions and the equipment is of variable quality.
Noticed one more thing they offer 2019 software if you mainly work on older cars you better off with a older Xentry (2015 or so) HHTWin works more reliable and is completely integrated.
If you need both you can do a dual boot and run 2016 and 2019 on one computer.

·
Registered
1996 s320
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noticed one more thing they offer 2019 software if you mainly work on older cars you better off with a older Xentry (2015 or so) HHTWin works more reliable and is completely integrated.
If you need both you can do a dual boot and run 2016 and 2019 on one computer.
I'm still learning all of this. Looks like I have more research to do. Is the Xentry HHTWin what runs on the C3?

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
417 Posts
No there are 3 software parts that work together HHTWin for the old vehicles up to 2000, DAS to about 2008 or so, and Xentry to now. Xentry also acts as the user interface and decides by VIN or connected vehicle what software to use.
So if you connect to your S320 you would start xentry insert your vin now Xentry then starts DAS and HHTWin to communicate to the vehicle via HHTWin.
Here is the problem with newer software, Xentry now requires a 64bit operation system. HHTWin will only run on 32bit.
It can be tricked 2 ways you make Xentry run on 32bit or use a virtual mashine to run HHTWin.
I didn't like any of these solutions I use a dual boot system and decide on start up if I want to use 2016 or 2019.
Paul

·
Registered
1996 s320
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for educating me on all of this. When you run dual boot, do you run Windows 7 for 32-bit and Windows 10 for 64-bit?

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
417 Posts
Thank you for educating me on all of this. When you run dual boot, do you run Windows 7 for 32-bit and Windows 10 for 64-bit?
I run win1×7/32 and win2×7/64 however any comination is possible.

·
Registered
1996 s320
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm still trying wrap my head around this. So if I get a newer (2019) version of the Xentry software, I must install Xentry on a 64-bit OS and the HHTWin software that comes with it must be installed on a 32-bit OS? Then when I boot the 32-bit OS I would run HHTWin directly?

All your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,845 Posts
act1292, glad to see you got in touch with Christiansen. He seems to be very knowledgeable. And I think Merc_S600 is correct on choosing a C5 over a C3. And answering your question, no I bought a C5 from him becasue every OBD reading I was given was different. And the Xentry C systems work on our older cars.
Good luck
Anziani

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
417 Posts
I'm still trying wrap my head around this. So if I get a newer (2019) version of the Xentry software, I must install Xentry on a 64-bit OS and the HHTWin software that comes with it must be installed on a 32-bit OS? Then when I boot the 32-bit OS I would run HHTWin directly?

All your help is greatly appreciated.
These come completely preinstalled windows included, so you don't have to worry about it at all.
If you want 2019 version make sure it installed on 32bit or hhtwin will be difficult to use.
My recommendation would be 2016 for c4, 2015 for c3.

·
Registered
1996 s320
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The reason I asked is that most of the sites are selling with the 2019 version. I'll double check them to make sure that it is installed with the 32-bit OS.

One other question, Merc-S600 mentioned that it must be married to your internet address. I suspect he means that the software is keyed to the MAC address of the computer it is installed on. Can you confirm?

Again, thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
2005 CLK320
417 Posts
The reason I asked is that most of the sites are selling with the 2019 version. I'll double check them to make sure that it is installed with the 32-bit OS.

One other question, Merc-S600 mentioned that it must be married to your internet address. I suspect he means that the software is keyed to the MAC address of the computer it is installed on. Can you confirm?

Again, thanks for all of your help.
Yes the software uses a hardware ID build from verius things like HD id, Mac address of network card and some others.

·
Registered
1996 s320
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
W140 Moderator
7,532 Posts
So far everything in the replies here is spot on .
One other section that is not mentioned is that the C3 ,i don't know about the C4 ,but ,the c3 requires all the cables connected to the car & the Laptop plus possible power to laptop & internet in some case (me) .
The Cables are the Fat 38 pin / C3 cable to Laptop / the ADSL cable/ Laptop connection /mouse (wireless) & laptop power ,to many cables all over the engine or in the cabin ,i didn't like that at all.
The C5 ( maybe c4 as well ?,i don't know) ,only requires 1 single small adsl cable connected to the laptop & the C5 scanner ,this ADSL cable can also be eliminated if the C5 is tuned to the Laptop wireless leaving the Laptop completely free of any cables if the battery is good on the laptop ,i haven't done that yet .
So the C5 has only ONE single fat 38 pin cable connected to the Diagnostic port on the car ,no messy wires no where .
My Advise ,Get the Laptop separately ,you find them cheap anywhere . Purchase either a C4 or C5 with the SSD ( i recommend) or HDD , version 05/19 & you can even scan your friends MB to help them out if it applies,in my case Yes ,all over,lol.
You don't need to worry about then if it is 32 bit or 64 bit as it gets send to you on the SSD (preferred) or HDD with the scanner .
I have booth dell d 630 & Lenovo x61 ,the Lenovo is just the better faster to use Laptop ,leaves the dell in the dust which is to slow,you can even fold it for better use as it is in a Tablet format then .
Watch this & you know exactly what i mean. The HDD just pulls out & you insert the one you purchased with the scanner ,once everything is activated ,start it up & go Scanning ,so easy.

·
W140 Moderator
7,532 Posts
You might wonder what the difference is between SSD & HDD .
Check it out .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts