Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
My '87 190D is getting long in the tooth. Feeling like it's time for an upgrade. I'm considering a C240 4-Matic with 90k miles. Clean carfax. Anything I should look for or be concerned about? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Do you absolutely need 4matic? Most of these cars end up for sale after the owner gets an estimate for replacing front end suspension brake or steering parts. There is no aftermarket for these parts that they are dealer only on for 4matics. Front end parts for rear wheel drive version of the same car are much much cheaper because there's competition.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
What year? I had a 2005 C240 4Matic I drove 300k miles. Solid, reliable and easy to work on with tons of parts available. 2005 was the last year and it was the facelift version that has a much nicer interior and paint quality then the 01-04's. Watch for the suspension and also alignment as well. Get a PPI and check for rust as well.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
A C320 will give you better performance with much the same fuel consumption.
Check for smooth shifting of gears ,,smooth running ,,no noises from engine and suspension.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2005 c240 4Matic; it has 144,000 miles on it;
If you want to learn how to repair cars, its a great car to own.
I have had about one mechanical problem every two weeks.
I have owned about a dozen cars and the Mercedes has been
the most unreliable of all.
When I talked to the dealer about it, the dealer said,
"get a new car".
I will probably do so as soon as I can but I dare say it
will not be a Mercedes.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Some cars may be bad ,,,but most are good unless they are abused ,,,not serviced ,,not maintained correctly ,,you have to expect some things will need replacing on 15 year old cars,,valve cover gaskets ,,Crank sensor , front suspension upper control arms ,,,but do this and you will be good for years to come.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Agreed with @Benzyle. It took me some effort to get the project 2000 S500 (now the wife's car) into "good repair". This is one of those cars that had been neglected. About the only maintenance done on it appears to have been the engine oil/filter change and the transmission fluid change. The left rear brake caliper was seized. All sorts of other things were wrong with it, but it had "good bones", i. e. a powertrain in fine condition.

So, once we got it home, I got to work. Took me several weekends over a few months. Among some of the things it got are the following.

1.) complete and total front suspension overhaul, including AIRmatic
2.) right rear suspension overhaul (this turned out not to be necessary, so it was more educational than anything else)
3.) cooling system overhaul, including the radiator, the fan assembly, and the hoses (yep, the heater core supply hose, too!)
4.) new bi-xenon projector headlight assemblies (the car had old, cloudy reflector HID's with cracks--the new ones are WAY brighter)
5.) driveshaft flex discs and transmission mount
6.) all new spark plugs
7.) new ignition coils and the wires for them on Cylinder Bank 5-8 (two coils died within two weeks of each other)
8.) new valve cover gaskets
9.) new EGR valve
10.) all fluids and filters
11.) all brake pads and rotors
12.) both rear brake calipers (remember, one had seized)
13.) new set of tires

But it is now in good repair and has been for just over a year and a half. I would trust it to take the wife from Seattle to South Beach, FL with no trouble; that is my personal definition of "good repair". She just gets in it and drives it now, and yes, it is her daily driver. She loves the car.

The key with any Mercedes-Benz is, look for the preventive maintenance items and go ahead and knock 'em out. Just go ahead and do 'em. Once you do, the car will go pretty much trouble-free for the next 10-15 years.

Oh, last year I did one more thing (this is really more of a "mod", technically):

14.) Android replacement "COMAND" head unit, with the post-facelift factory look.

The Android head unit has been a good addition. Her original factory COMAND head unit bit the dust, so I put one of those new Android units in there, along with dashcam and reverse-gear cam. Sounds great, works great, GPS, radio, music, video, Bluetooth, you name it, just like the smartphones. She really likes it.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I have a 2005 c240 4Matic; it has 144,000 miles on it;
If you want to learn how to repair cars, its a great car to own.
I have had about one mechanical problem every two weeks.
I have owned about a dozen cars and the Mercedes has been
the most unreliable of all.
When I talked to the dealer about it, the dealer said,
"get a new car".
I will probably do so as soon as I can but I dare say it
will not be a Mercedes.
Cannot say I had the sam experience as you. I had a 05 C240 4Matic and drove it 300k miles. Never once failed to start or left me on the side of the road. What issues have you experience?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Agreed with @Benzyle. It took me some effort to get the project 2000 S500 (now the wife's car) into "good repair". This is one of those cars that had been neglected. About the only maintenance done on it appears to have been the engine oil/filter change and the transmission fluid change. The left rear brake caliper was seized. All sorts of other things were wrong with it, but it had "good bones", i. e. a powertrain in fine condition.

So, once we got it home, I got to work. Took me several weekends over a few months. Among some of the things it got are the following.

1.) complete and total front suspension overhaul, including AIRmatic
2.) right rear suspension overhaul (this turned out not to be necessary, so it was more educational than anything else)
3.) cooling system overhaul, including the radiator, the fan assembly, and the hoses (yep, the heater core supply hose, too!)
4.) new bi-xenon projector headlight assemblies (the car had old, cloudy reflector HID's with cracks--the new ones are WAY brighter)
5.) driveshaft flex discs and transmission mount
6.) all new spark plugs
7.) new ignition coils and the wires for them on Cylinder Bank 5-8 (two coils died within two weeks of each other)
8.) new valve cover gaskets
9.) new EGR valve
10.) all fluids and filters
11.) all brake pads and rotors
12.) both rear brake calipers (remember, one had seized)
13.) new set of tires

But it is now in good repair and has been for just over a year and a half. I would trust it to take the wife from Seattle to South Beach, FL with no trouble; that is my personal definition of "good repair". She just gets in it and drives it now, and yes, it is her daily driver. She loves the car.

The key with any Mercedes-Benz is, look for the preventive maintenance items and go ahead and knock 'em out. Just go ahead and do 'em. Once you do, the car will go pretty much trouble-free for the next 10-15 years.

Oh, last year I did one more thing (this is really more of a "mod", technically):

14.) Android replacement "COMAND" head unit, with the post-facelift factory look.

The Android head unit has been a good addition. Her original factory COMAND head unit bit the dust, so I put one of those new Android units in there, along with dashcam and reverse-gear cam. Sounds great, works great, GPS, radio, music, video, Bluetooth, you name it, just like the smartphones. She really likes it.

100%. That is the issue with lots of older used cars is the previous owner. People need to go by the book and do the preventive maintenance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
2000 C280 Sport
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing