Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!
I've been reading the R129 forum for a week or so, still many pages to cover.

I've read that some years are praised over others, then quickly dismissed by another poster.

I've tried to "search" for specific posts to the model year:2000 with little luck.

All of that being said, can anyone comment to a possible purchase of a 2000 SL500 with 75K miles, clean carfax, and good documentation of maintenance history (admitedly, I have not seen it/read it yet)?

Thanks for any comments on this....:bowdown:

Ed

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
Welcome Ed, I also have a My 2000 SL-500, Bought it just 5yrs. ago!!!! (Christmas Time) Its been a GREAT CAR!!!!!!!! Mine had 28K on it when I got it, Now 53K and I'm STILL in LOVE with it!!!! I happen to be VERY Mechanical so any problems that pop up, I can take care of. These cars are NOT trouble free, BUT, They ARE WAY MORE FUN than most cars I have ever owned!!!!! AND as a bonus, the people on this Forum are some of the BEST and MOST HELPFUL people ANYWHERE!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!! Don't let service records make or break your decision!!! (unless they indicate a MAJOR problem) Service records dont make a car run or drive ANY better. If your not sure about the cond. of the car, Hire a pro to check it out!!!!! Good Luck and if you have ANY questions, Please ask!!!!!!

·
Registered
'91 300SL(sold) 2000 SL320 Edition '94 E220 T auto
694 Posts
It is a topic of some debate as to whether there are possibly some slight differences in build quality between an older or newer R129. Having now had both an older and newer one I am not heavily convinced the later car feels just quite so well screwed together. However, there is little doubt a newer car will be easier to find in good condition.

I have looked at and driven plenty potential purchases and would say I have little doubt that a good R129 will drive much better, smoother, straighter and quieter than a well used slightly tired example. So a lot can be learnt simply be driving one. Otherwise I would want to check that above all the roof mechanism is working as it should be. You don't want to start off with any headaches here if you can help it! The 2000 of course should have the later type engine which again is a topic of debate as to which is better. Having owned an R230 SL500 i'd have no complaints about this engine...but there is some debate....It supposedly has slightly less power than its predecessor but of course has a modern smooth 5 speed auto unlike most earlier cars.

Read on with the wealth of info on here and if you have any doubts about the car walk away. Gladly there seems to be quite a lot around so they're not impossible to track down. I think just now is a great time to buy one. Certainly in the UK it seems prices are now actually creeping up!

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Hey gang!
I've been reading the R129 forum for a week or so, still many pages to cover.

I've read that some years are praised over others, then quickly dismissed by another poster.

I've tried to "search" for specific posts to the model year:2000 with little luck.

All of that being said, can anyone comment to a possible purchase of a 2000 SL500 with 75K miles, clean carfax, and good documentation of maintenance history (admitedly, I have not seen it/read it yet)?

Thanks for any comments on this....:bowdown:

Ed
Hi Ed,
While I would not profess to be an expert on the relative merits of the R129 model years, I believe a 2000 carries no particular skeletons in its cupboard. You won't have the wiring loom problem (much earlier), you will have the 5 speed box, and you will have a M113 engine. The relative merits of the M113 vs M119 has been covered many times, I recommend you do a search but it's esentially a personal thing - they are both good engines. My own particular advise would be to ensure EVERTHING works properly, especially things like the soft top, and don't assume anything will be a quick and easy fix - because it probably won't. I persuaded my local Mercedes Independant garage to put my car up on the lift for an hour free of charge, in the hope they would get any servicing work. They gave me a thorough report (warts and all) and now do all my work other than routine stuff. You will also get great help and assistance from the good folk of the Benzworld R129 forum.
Regards
Steve

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks gang! Just the stuff I was looking for...

I'll start researching the M113 v. M119 now.

Feel free to add more info to this topic as I won't get a chance to see this particular car until Friday.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2010 SL63 AMG, 2001 SL500, 2012 Corvette Z06, 2013 Lexus RX350, 2012 Cadillac CTS Coupe, 2015 Ram
488 Posts
I recall reading that the 5-speed had a few little problems that were fixed after 1999, so that would be another plus for the 2000year.

I picked up my 2001 a year ago, and so far, I have found this car to be easier to work on than my domestic vehicles. And the members of this forum are tremendously helpful and knowledgable.

For comparison, my '01 has 83,000 MI and the car is like new inside and out, not a squeak or rattle anywhere, and the engine is clean enough to eat off. Perhaps the previous owner babied it like I do, but I think it speaks well for the quality of this this car, regardless.

I am noticing a tiny clunk somehwere in the drivetrain and the low profile tires tend to tramline (follow the ruts in the road), which could be worn front end, or simply a tire/alignment issue. I'll get to that in spring, but I think these are reasonable issues for a 10 year old car that gives me so much enjoyment.

·
Premium Member
95 SL500, K&N, NEOKEN Ported TB, Custom Intake, RENNtech Sport Exhaust, AMG I Monoblocks
10,980 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another Question

The seller has offered to take me and the car to the dealer 45min. away. In addition to that, he has provided me with the VIN and says I can "contact Mercedes with the VIN and they can show me the service/repair history on the car".

Is this correct? Any idea who/where/how I contact Mercedes and get this info?

Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
873 Posts
Welcome Ed - I bought my 1999 in June - I drove a 1992, 1998 and 1999. IMHO, the 1999 felt more athletic than the others. I consider the R129 to have 4 generations: 1990 - 1992 have the M-119 (4 valves per cylinder) engine with Bosch K-jetronic injection with 4 speed xmission; 1993 - 1995 has individual cylinder injectors, no "fuel distributor" with 4 speed; 1996 - 1998 has a 5 speed xmission; 1999 - 2002 has the M-113 engine (3 valves per cylinder) and 5 speed transmission. MBUSA number is 1-800-367-6372.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update

I went ahead and pulled a carfax on this car. 2 owner, nothing but green marks!

I see that "Body computer/module replaced" appears 3 times in the first 40K miles. Any thoughts here? A radio was replaced, cd changer, door lock actuator, ac/heat control module, door check replaced, antenna, tranny pan gasket, last schedule maintenance was performed 2K miles ago.

Anything else I should be looking for? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,389 Posts

I see that "Body computer/module replaced" appears 3 times in the first 40K miles. Any thoughts here? A radio was replaced, cd changer, door lock actuator, ac/heat control module, door check replaced, antenna, tranny pan gasket, last schedule maintenance was performed 2K miles ago.

Could be an O2 sensor or something emissions related? I've had minor problems with that in my R129 over the past 40,000 miles

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts

Hi these all seem small things to have gone wrong over time mostly electrical which is quite normal for the sl the electrics being quite the most likely problems you will find (as with most modern cars) I have a 90 & 99 they are slightly different in the way they drive the 99 uses much less fuel ,90 feel better screwed together no drooping rear bumper etc, the one you are looking at sounds good and well maintained :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts