Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering getting a 190E. I see they can be had for a very reasonable price.

2.3 vs 2.6? I understand the 2.6 is the more desirable option, but is the 2.3 equally as reliable, just less power?

How are the transmissions and how do they hold up? I want the most reliable and practical option because it would be a daily driver to put the miles on.

Any other tips or things worth noting would be appreciated.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Both are going to have pros and cons. You should find one of each and drive them.

With the newest models at nearly 20 years old, any weakness you will find in either model will come down to maintenance (or lack of) by the previous owner.

The most common issues with the automatic transmissions is probably vacuum leaks that will cause hard shifting.

If you are going to be looking in the southwest, paint and interior degeneration from the sun is something you will come across. Cracked dashboards and bubbling door cards are common. Swaps are easy if this bothers you.

Engine wise, the 2.3 will be the cheaper one to maintain over time but really not by much.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, sounds great. I think there are likely to be many 190's at junkyards these days, at least the ones who keep cars for a while. That being said, parts should not be too difficult to find.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
i would get a 2.6 simply because even the 2.6 is not a fast car compared to todays zippy 4 cylinders

so a 2.3 would be even slower

if you can get a manual, get it because they are ultra rare, and they have 5 gears instead of 4 in the automatic and feel less sluggish.

when buying one, look at the usual stuff.. oil leaks from the timing cover, stalling, hard starting, etc. knock down the price if it has any problems.

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3 8v w/ '87 5-speed and 3.27 rear, 1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C, 2018 Triumph Bonneville
704 Posts
Parts? Try autohausaz.com, they're pretty awesome. Ebay, Craigslist, and us on the forum are all good for parts.

I personally have had a couple consecutive bad experiences with autopartswarehouse.com, but others have had good times.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do the transmissions generally last a long time? I'm trying to find an MB that has a transmission that will actually last over 200k with no major problem requiring a rebuild.

Edit: I will be getting an automatic.

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
Do the transmissions generally last a long time? I'm trying to find an MB that has a transmission that will actually last over 200k with no major problem requiring a rebuild.

Edit: I will be getting an automatic.
ive heard of some stories with people having transmission problems. Usually the gear wont change thats the most common i hear.

a lot of these problems can be fixed with a 10 dollar spring/valve thing but most people dont know about it so they think the tranny is busted

so far, i only had one instance where my gear wouldnt change ... it happend only once in owning the car for 10 years... i parked the car and started it again 5 min later and it was fine.

i think as long as you keep the fluid red, and filter changed every 60k, you should be fine. buy OEM filters btw and use the highest quality transmission fluid you can find.. i have also some lucas tranny oil in there too maybe that helps me. I still wish i had a manual though, as this auto really slows me down and is better suited for highway driving not the city driving that i do.

oh and my car has who knos how many km i found out the odometer was pushed back 150,000km when my dad originally bought it lol and i already got 300k on there so.. im half mill at least and its all original including the cat.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Avalon XLS
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, sounds pretty darn reliable if you ask me. More reliable than the W202 I think.. maybe.

Hey, question: is the 2.6 capable of reaching 65mph when hitting a highway via onramp? If so, I don't really care how slow it is otherwise! :D

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Awesome, sounds pretty darn reliable if you ask me. More reliable than the W202 I think.. maybe.

Hey, question: is the 2.6 capable of reaching 65mph when hitting a highway via onramp? If so, I don't really care how slow it is otherwise! :D
The 2.3 can! The 2.6 is no slouch either, it's only a few less horsepower than the US spec 16V, the 16V just uses it better.

The 202 had some troublesome years, anything before 1997 really. After 1997 all the electronic bugs, wiring issues, etc were worked out.

You should drive both.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.6
499 Posts

In my old 2.6 I was usually at 80 by the time I get half way up the on ramp, but I am a fairly aggressive driver, lol

·
Registered
w115-240D, w115-300D, w201-190e (3), w123-300D w201-190d
352 Posts
In your first post , you mentioned reliable and practical.

Kinda subjective notions but .... consider a 2.5 diesel with 5spd manual.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,686 Posts
I second the 2.6 over the 2.3.

Also watch out for head gasket issues. If it hasn't be done, it just a matter of time before it needs it. Evidently a design flaw in the headgasket it self.

My 190E 3.0 is going to need one in a few years.

Also check out autopartsway.com and partsgeek.com for parts. APW is cheaper than PG I think both ship from WorldPac.

AutohausAZ is good too but they're 4 days away shipping time from me..

·
Registered
1974 280C 1991 190E 1986 E-150
66 Posts
This last yr I came across a old 84' 190D with a 5-spd. Which I am currently driving and it's awesome lol. But I have issues with my 91' 190E. I need I new timing chain guide. Plus the trans won't shift. Any ideas?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.3 Manual, '81 500SEL 4whl SLS, '91 300SEL
1,757 Posts
Whether you get the 2.3 or 2.6, they're both Mercedes-Benz - and both reliable cars. The 2.3 you can get a little better gas mileage out of, but the 2.6 is a smoother engine. The M102 2.3 in my car has had no issues with the actual engine, I am replacing the timing chain soon - I'm at 267k miles. The M103 (same block as the 2.6) in our 300SEL has gone 210k miles and only needed the timing chain guides and tensioner replaced, and even then it didn't NEED it at that point.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,686 Posts
Whether you get the 2.3 or 2.6, they're both Mercedes-Benz - and both reliable cars. The 2.3 you can get a little better gas mileage out of, but the 2.6 is a smoother engine. The M102 2.3 in my car has had no issues with the actual engine, I am replacing the timing chain soon - I'm at 267k miles. The M103 (same block as the 2.6) in our 300SEL has gone 210k miles and only needed the timing chain guides and tensioner replaced, and even then it didn't NEED it at that point.
I get average 23-24 mpg freeway (70mph with cruise) in my 190E with 3L m103 with a/c on.

I lost the headgasket in the 2.6 at 215k. The 3.0 has about just near 100k on it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts