Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering the 300D turbodiesels for a long distance commute. I understand that these things are pretty much bulletproof.

My main concern is what kind of cruising speeds can these cars comfortably maintain? My "commute" would take me across MN,SD,NE,and CO, mostly flatlands with a couple mtn passes in CO. The speed limit in NE is 75 and I would like to run 85 all day long. I assume the TD's have enough power but what is the gearing like? Are the 123's all 3 speed autos? Should I be considering a 300SD 126 instead?

TIA guys

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
123's are great highway cars, but over 75mph your going to find a loss of fuel economy. ...

123's are great highway cars, but over 75mph your going to find a loss of fuel economy. They are really geared more for city of lower speed. Unless of course you can find one with a 5spd in it. I've only seen two in my entire life and am actually considering a trip to germany at this point to find one. The 126 is more geared for highway. It'll run 85mph all day long and give you in the 35mpg range. It is definitly a longer-legged car. It is also very very comfortable.
-M-

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
The Best

The 1987 300 SDL would be my choice for highway and for comfort overall. 85 is not a problem!
[:D]

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
After thinking about it, ok... I'll trade you my 83SD for any G-wagon you've got on site...

After thinking about it, ok... I'll trade you my 83SD for any G-wagon you've got on site[:D] Even drive it out there for the swap. Real nice girl too. Never seen a winter, approx 150k on the clock!

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I would go with the SD 79 to 85 for high speed cruising, but a 300D 77 to 85 including non...

I would go with the SD 79 to 85 for high speed cruising, but a 300D 77 to 85 including non turbo will cruise easily near 100. Turbo would come in handy on two lane back roads.

Even a 240D auto will handle the interstates cruising at near 90 mph. Have taken long applacian mountain trips with a 240D, including two lanes.

Another factor is the condition of the suspension. It needs to be in good shape for those high speed over the road drives, and is often negelected.

Would go for the SD or a 300D turbo, but you may kick yourself later if a pass up a pristine 240D or 300D non turbo. Another good over the road car is the 201 series 190D, good for close to 40MPH, high speed cruising, but is a great personal driver, but too small to load up a family.
John Gregg

·
BenzWorld G Class Host
2002 800RMK
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: The Best

The 1987 300 SDL would be my choice for highway and for comfort overall. 85 is not a problem!
[:D]
I would like one of these, just a little leery of the cracked head issues on the 603 engines.

·
Registered
1976 300D
17 Posts
addendum to question

Here is an additional Question as a addendum to the original question. How is the 84ish turbo in mountainous terrain specifically the Coquihalla Highway in British Columbia (if someone out there has driven it)? Just interested as I am in the market for the same era car and make this trip regularly [:X]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.