Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) What are the main differences beside obvious engine power?

2) Are massaging seats available on both? Are they worth it; do they work well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2007 E550 4Matic P2,Pano,Voice,Park,Trunk,Fold Seats, Black/Ash;;; 1989 560SL (sold 11/1/10)
292 Posts
I know the search function on this site is quite mediocre. You should do some homework on these cars through google or wiki so you have basic understanding of the car differences and then come here with more focused questions for this group. You will get all the help and info you need here with the right questions.

I will still answer your question. There is no comparison between them. The 550 is night and day better simply because of the engine. There are other benefits as well like Airmatic that provides superior ride quality. For the few extra thousand for a 550 over a 350 it's a no brainer. I've never driven a better engine than the 550. You can put your foot in it all day long and never run out of hp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the search function on this site is quite mediocre. You should do some homework on these cars through google or wiki so you have basic understanding of the car differences and then come here with more focused questions for this group. You will get all the help and info you need here with the right questions.

I will still answer your question. There is no comparison between them. The 550 is night and day better simply because of the engine. There are other benefits as well like Airmatic that provides superior ride quality. For the few extra thousand for a 550 over a 350 it's a no brainer. I've never driven a better engine than the 550. You can put your foot in it all day long and never run out of hp.
Yeah, I tried the search function, and it is a pain in the ass. I just want to hear from actual owners of the E class. Thanks for your reply.

Interior wise, are there any differences in the interior/luxury differences between the two?

And do you like the massaging seats? I love the concept, do they work well? I am excited to go take one for a test drive.

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Yeah, I tried the search function, and it is a pain in the ass. I just want to hear from actual owners of the E class. Thanks for your reply.

Interior wise, are there any differences in the interior/luxury differences between the two?

And do you like the massaging seats? I love the concept, do they work well? I am excited to go take one for a test drive.

I think the point here is to SEARCH, LURK, READ and GOOGLE your behind off before asking questions and creating threads that are similar to ones that were answered recently. Also, go down the pages of posts and read the threads you see that will relate to your situation.

When given advice to do the above you asked more questions (smh). If you are truly considering a purchase, then this forum is your library. You must do your research as few will provide everything to you on a silver platter..

When I was 'considering' my purchase I went thru several pages and learned quite a bit about my car without asking the first question and wasting anyone's time.. I have found the search to be VERY good and can find posts from several years ago that will relate to my situation. BTW, if you actually look at all threads created last week you should find quite a few new folks 'considering' their purchases asking for the silver platter treatment as well..

There's more information contained here than most salesmen know about the E-class and I refuse to believe you can't find anything ;)

Good luck, the E is a great car but every person needs to do their own research to determine if it's right for you..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the point here is to SEARCH, LURK, READ and GOOGLE your behind off before asking questions and creating threads that are similar to ones that were answered recently. Also, go down the pages of posts and read the threads you see that will relate to your situation.
Look, if you don't wanna answer the questions or discuss the car, just don't post in my thread. I'm not asking for anything on a "silver platter", I asked a few questions about the car to facilitate a discussion, specifically people's opinions on the massage seats.

If this is such an annoyance to you, then please don't post in my thread and bump it up.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
Look, if you don't wanna answer the questions or discuss the car, just don't post in my thread. I'm not asking for anything on a "silver platter", I asked a few questions about the car to facilitate a discussion, specifically people's opinions on the massage seats.

If this is such an annoyance to you, then please don't post in my thread and bump it up.

Thank you!
Understand that I could care less if you ever get the search feature to work properly for your needs.

I'm just suggesting a few methods so you can help YOURSELF to the information contained within this forum and make you aware of the fact that there's SO much information available, but you will need to find it. You can also answer an older thread that is similar as that shows you've at least done some research.

This discussion as you say would be pretty one sided.. What are you offering as far as your experiences while you're 'considering'??

Just trying to help here..

·
Registered
2013 MB S550 4Matic, 2010 BMW 650i, 2008 MB E350 sports package
62 Posts
I would go with the 350, which has adequate power and is much more reliable. The 550 airmatic is prone to fail, a few thousand dollar repair bill!

·
Registered
2008 GL450; 2009 E350
3 Posts

Thanks!
OP,

Night and day between the two engines - however i am completely satisfied with my 350. I never been to a track to race. You might want to check out the 09's. much better command unit.

I never tried the massage seats but would be scaried i'd fall asleep while driving.

To others so quick to say SEARCH BEFORE YOU ASK QUESTIONS - the forum would be BORING if we didnt have any new post daily, regardless if the topics have been covered.

·
Registered
2007 E550 4Matic P2,Pano,Voice,Park,Trunk,Fold Seats, Black/Ash;;; 1989 560SL (sold 11/1/10)
292 Posts
Interior and exterior are the same between the 350 and 550. 550 gets you Airmatic which is superior in ride quality. With any MB you musdt have an extended warranty and this will cover any Airmatic or other issues. Don't be scared by the Airmatic haters on this site. I don't know about the massaging seats. Are you referring to the dynamic seats found on the AMG version? The 550 gets you vented seats (not available in the 350) which is crucial in the summer. You also get real leather versus MB tex.

The obvious big difference is the engine. The 350 engine is good. It's smooth and has decent power and all that. The 550 engine is off the charts and the best non-AMG engine out there for Mercedes until the next gen V6 and V8s come out. Make sure you test drive it to feel the unlimited power and the thrill of punching it and having your head and body pull tightly against the seat.

For a few thousand more than the average 350, the 550 setup is the bargain of a lifetime.

·
Registered
2006 Merc E320 cdi
981 Posts
OP,

To others so quick to say SEARCH BEFORE YOU ASK QUESTIONS - the forum would be BORING if we didnt have any new post daily, regardless if the topics have been covered.
Beg to differ on that synopsis..

If every thread here would be for others 'considering' their purchase it would be quite a bit boring here because there would be no knowledge exchange. As members that have spent the time looking and searching for the information they need might find the results they need, and nobody would be helping those who haven't thought to help themselves..

Maybe we need some stickys at the top of the forum with some of these commonly asked questions. I would also be in favor of a restriction for new threads in that a member cannot create one unless they have over 50 posts in other threads. Now that's actual participation..

Many that request the silver platter treatment and get it and are never helpful to others. I saw a recent member that had 6 posts and 4 of those were for silver platter requests (new threads), and the other two.... To say thanks, to their own threads. Tell me how this helps ALL of us to understand how our cars work..

I jump on the soapbox because when I was considering my purchase I read the threads in the W211 forum from the front almost to the back, and when I was finished had such a great understanding of the car I made a well informed decision.. This does not take very long as 30% of the new threads are silver platter requests, and the other 70% is some actual meat..

I would like to thank everybody that has actually helped myself and another to figure out a problem or two. Your keystrokes are definitely not done in vain; but to the silver platter folks, you can learn to search to lessen your reliance upon others to rewrite something that was asked just last week.

I'm getting off of this soapbox as I seem to be one in the minority feeling like I do.. I'll be willing to bet you we will get at least 2 additional threads about how to reset the service indicator, and what services, cost are there for a D service :rolleyes:

It's all good 'tho..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Why is there not a way to categorize threads so that a user can go into categories and see posts relating to the question. For example, there could be a category on service and service reminders. Many of us just like to look at new posts but there should be a way to get them categorized for later use. The search function is weak and even if better would still be less useful than a good category index.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I will still answer your question. There is no comparison between them. The 550 is night and day better simply because of the engine. There are other benefits as well like Airmatic that provides superior ride quality. For the few extra thousand for a 550 over a 350 it's a no brainer. I've never driven a better engine than the 550. You can put your foot in it all day long and never run out of hp.[/QUOTE]

I also conclude it's a no brainer but my suggestion is the 350. When shopping this summer I read all the forums and concluded that the V8 suspention has many problems and I didn't want to be dealing or paying for them after the warranty is up. How long are you going to keep it? My wife will drive ours for 10 years. My brother gets a new E every 3 years so the V8 is fine for him. Make damn sure you buy a CPO and the extra 3 year warranty.

Dan

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you plan to keep vehicle for a long time and want to minimize repair cost after warranty is gone.....then shoot for 350. I have airmatic....and always thought.... HA it will never happen to me.....and it did 1700 to fix.... If mercedes made airmatic only for rear....then I would say 550.

·
Registered
2009 E63
557 Posts
Interior and exterior are the same between the 350 and 550. 550 gets you Airmatic which is superior in ride quality. With any MB you musdt have an extended warranty and this will cover any Airmatic or other issues. Don't be scared by the Airmatic haters on this site. I don't know about the massaging seats. Are you referring to the dynamic seats found on the AMG version? The 550 gets you vented seats (not available in the 350) which is crucial in the summer. You also get real leather versus MB tex.

The obvious big difference is the engine. The 350 engine is good. It's smooth and has decent power and all that. The 550 engine is off the charts and the best non-AMG engine out there for Mercedes until the next gen V6 and V8s come out. Make sure you test drive it to feel the unlimited power and the thrill of punching it and having your head and body pull tightly against the seat.

For a few thousand more than the average 350, the 550 setup is the bargain of a lifetime.
I agree. Unless you're getting a diesel, then get the 550. Diesel makes sense: good torque and hey, it's an oil burner. But if you want a petrol motor the V8 is a no brainer. V6 is not as refined and balanced. If MB still made a straight 6 in a lighter chassis then maybe. But the current E350 is a basic grocery getter, imho. The E550 with its smoother suspension, great motor, real leather, rear climate control, all makes more sense as a Benz. Even the little things like the soft pleated leather on the upper door panels makes for nice (and comfortable) touches. And the mpg really isn't different enough to be an issue. I can get 19 mpg city on a 6.2 liter V8 (if I behave.)

You don't want to end up saying, "I shoulda had a V8." :)

·
Registered
mercedes w211 e350, B200 w245, w212 e63 amg 6.2L
1,010 Posts
i agree with 6.2amg with *You don't want to end up saying, "I shoulda had a V8."*.
But with fuel consumption i dont agree because a v8 will eat up more fuel then the e350 because its got a bigger engine in it.
And Another thing, the e350 and e550 dont have much difference in the interrior lol, But yeah go with the v8. :)

·
Registered
292 Posts
MPG is really an issue for a Mercedes owner? My how times have changed.

My 550 averages averages 21 with a 50/50 mix of city and highway and lots of accelerations. My old 350 averaged 23.

·
Registered
2013 Mercedes GL350 & Lexus CT200h
24 Posts
MPG is really an issue for a Mercedes owner? My how times have changed.

MPG matters to me and we own a Mercedes. That is why we bought the Diesel GL. It also matters on the sedans, which is why I had a BMW 535xi, which average around 27 mpg freeway and 24.5 overall.

·
Registered
2009 Mercedes Benz E550
146 Posts

Thanks!
I've tried the search too and it's not much help. So I'll answer your question...

For starters, if memory serves, massaging seats were discontinued after the 06 model. When I asked my Service Adviser, he told me that they weren't very good to begin with and broke often. To qualify that statement, that's his opinion, I've never sat in a car that actually has them and tried them out.

Features available in the E550 that are not available in the E350. (speaking for US models only.)
- 5.5 Liter V8 (the obvious)
- Airmatic Suspension
- Ventilated Seats
- 4 zone climate control

I honestly can't remember anything else. I tried to find my old brochure but my Wife's probably put it in the attic with all of my other stuff. ;) I drove an E350 then an E550 while I was deciding on what to by my self and the performance difference was simply night and day, that's what sold me first.

I love the Airmatic but I'm also terrified of it breaking. Be careful asking people around here for their opinion about it. Many of those who don't have it feel compelled to criticize it relentlessly. That said, I have heard some horror stories, however my Service Adviser calmed my fears by explaining that the system was improved as of the 07 model, working out many of the issues from the previous years. He also explained that what can make Airmatic repairs so expensive is people driving the car when there's an issue. His case in point was an E500 owner who did just that. Making a long story short, he told me that what would have been a $1,000.00 repair wound up being an $11,000.00 repair because of the significant damage done to the entire system from driving it while it was broken.

So that's the scary bit about Airmatic, but despite that I still love having it. The ride is incredibly smooth in comfort mode and it's nice to change the modes based on my mood. For the most part my car stays in comfort though. I also like how it adapts to the road conditions and your speed. If I start taking corners aggressively, say in the mountains, the system stiffens up keeping the car flat around the bends. I also believe that the car lowers it self during sustained highway speeds to improve aerodynamics. If you want the car to feel more like a sports sedan, you can put it in sport 1 or 2 for a sportier feel, then back in comfort for those bumpier roads.

The ventilated seats are another big plus to me, they don't sound like much but they surprised me by how much I get out of them. If my understanding is correct, they pull air away from the seat, essentially pulling hot air away from you. While I can't say they "cool" me, they keep me from getting hot and my back never gets sweaty. It's one of those little things I find my self taking for granted until I get in a car without them.

The 4 zone climate control is neat but I can't say much else about it. Most people who ride in the car say "wow" when they see the back-seat controls but they never use it. So that's honestly an option I could take or leave.

So yeah I've said how great the E550 is, but truthfully I'm sure you could be just as happy in an E350 too. They're both very comfortable cars, what it really comes down to is the power. The E550 is significantly faster and you'll really just have to decide if that's important to you or not. If MPG is a concern, I've logged around 34 mpg on the highway with a mix of up and down hill. My city mileage is between 20 - 22 mpg if I'm gentle on it, but if I let my ego get the better of me when I come across the many jerks on the road, I'll quickly plunge that average down to 14 - 16. I've also heard that the Bluetech is fun to drive, it's supposed to have 10 more torques than the E550, which gives you that "plant you in the back of your seat" feel when you accelerate.

At any rate, I hope my comments help.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts