Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
considering 08 ML350 or Ml320 CDI

now that we have a kiddo on the way, the wife is realizing her 07 C230 is a little snug with a carseat diaper bags and the stroller and all that other crap she's gonna cram into it, especially on trips.

so, we are shopping around. Looking at the ML350. coming from a C230 obviously that V6 in the ML will offer her plenty of power to stay happy. we are also considering some of the other competitors but i really want to stick with MB and be loyal to our dealership as they are oustanding to us and would like to stay with them.

so, heres some questions....occasionally we might use it to tow our boat (most of the time i'd use my tundra). Is the 350 adequate for towing the boat (we live about 10 minutes from the lake) and getting up the ramp ok? anyone have towing experience with the 350? especially with a boat?

edit- our boat is an 06 17ft starcraft 1700 I/o Sport that starcraftmarine has its weight listed as 2765lbs...so loaded with fuel and the crap i keep in it and stereo crap etc id say still less than 3k lbs (never weighed it because i never cared before haha other vehicle tows over 10k lbs...)

reliabiltiy- hows the ML doing with stuff breaking? we looked at the porsche cayennes but on their forums their crap cant stay out of the shop so ive crossed it off the list. besides, the tow hitch added on at their dealers with wiring is a almost a couple of grand or more....

options? any options we just need to get ? nav i dont care too much about...garmin takes care of me and i can plug it into my computer and take it in any of our vehicles....

thanks in advance...

ps anyone want a mars red 07 c230 with 19k and harmon kardon and all the other goodies? :)

or would i be better off with the CDI? it may work better for the little bit of towing i do but around here diesel prices are alot mroe than premium fuel....what do you guys think?

·
Registered
559 Posts
or would i be better off with the CDI? it may work better for the little bit of towing i do but around here diesel prices are alot mroe than premium fuel....what do you guys think?
The diesel's low end torque will be MUCH better suited to towing as that's more important than horsepower in that situation.

Remember, diesel prices may be more than premium fuel, but the fuel economy is MUCH better than the petrol V6 engine. So you pay more at the pump, but it takes you far longer use up the fuel. I can go about 2 weeks before filling up! Compared to the 4-5 days of my previous gas ML.

Regarding the towing, you should be fine. The ML is rated for 5000lbs. Just make sure you get the tow package as the factory option as it is far cheaper than having it installed at the dealer. Stick it in "Off-road" mode when climbing up the ramp if needed, and it will be even better.

I would actually suggest that you look into getting an ML with Airmatic too since you're towing as it includes self levelling.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
Either ML should meet your needs. Benz reliability is improving but it's not near the level of Toyota/Lexus/Honda/Acura yet. Just make sure you have warranty coverage for the number of years that you plan to keep it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts