Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 E420
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through a lot of the posts for changing ATF fluid for :confused:the 722.6 tranny. (which I believe that I have) I am confused about the different fluid types people are recommending and if it even applies to my car. I picked up the pan gasket and filter from auto zone and asked them to pull the fluid type for me there. They stated that the car recommended dextron III. But after reading through some of the post it sounds like nearly everyone is using either an old or new Mercedes synthetic ATF fluid and that using regular stuff could cause lots of problems. Is this only for newer cars, or would this apply to me as well? Sorry I know there are other posts that probably contain this info, but the more I read the more confused I ended up.

Currently I have pulled the plug only. I have not lowered the front end of the pan as mentioned by G-AMG in his DIY yet and the pan itself yeilded 1 quart of fluid. Is this low or to be expected with the fluid probably remaining in the pan and torq converter?

·
Registered
06 CLS500, Boeing-737, 04 Tahoe LT, 04 Infiniti G35 Sedan
257 Posts
I read a post recently about a guy who flushed his tranny fluid using a few plastic tubes, catch containers, and accessing the fluid from the tranny lines that connect to the radiator. He would add the fluid one liter at a time letting the fluid get sucked out of the container while his engine was at idle. Sounds kinda risky but he said it worked fine. Try searching for his story. I think it was on this site but I am not 100% sure. If not here then it was on MB World.......

(Did I actually beat ohlord to a post??? Amazing!!)

Jeff

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I have read through a lot of the posts for changing ATF fluid for :confused:the 722.6 tranny. (which I believe that I have) I am confused about the different fluid types people are recommending and if it even applies to my car. I picked up the pan gasket and filter from auto zone and asked them to pull the fluid type for me there. They stated that the car recommended dextron III. But after reading through some of the post it sounds like nearly everyone is using either an old or new Mercedes synthetic ATF fluid and that using regular stuff could cause lots of problems. Is this only for newer cars, or would this apply to me as well? Sorry I know there are other posts that probably contain this info, but the more I read the more confused I ended up.

Currently I have pulled the plug only. I have not lowered the front end of the pan as mentioned by G-AMG in his DIY yet and the pan itself yeilded 1 quart of fluid. Is this low or to be expected with the fluid probably remaining in the pan and torq converter?
That seems a bit low, the drain plug should yield more than that but you may have lots of it trapped it a thicker layer in the pan (you started this without having the fluid on hand? :confused:). However, as to the fluid, the older 4sp did use Dex fluid, but if you have the 5 speed MB OEM fluid is the way to go. You can also use the VIN converter on the Russian MB site to spew out all kinds of information specific to your car, including the exact model of your transmission. I posted this a couple weeks ago here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1377852-those-you-who-dont-speak-russian.html

FWIW, so long as the filter and gasket are a brand-name you're probably okay, but most DIY'ers on here lean towards the OEM suppliers for filters, parts, etc. and shop at places like autohausaz.com (which also sells the OEM fluid). Good prices, quality parts, great service, free shipping over $50, etc. That said, I don't think I'd trust any advice I got from a counterperson at AutoZone, Kragen, Pep Boys, etc. JMHO. :)

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I read a post recently about a guy who flushed his tranny fluid using a few plastic tubes, catch containers, and accessing the fluid from the tranny lines that connect to the radiator. He would add the fluid one liter at a time letting the fluid get sucked out of the container while his engine was at idle. Sounds kinda risky but he said it worked fine. Try searching for his story. I think it was on this site but I am not 100% sure. If not here then it was on MB World.......

(Did I actually beat ohlord to a post??? Amazing!!)

Jeff
We both did, even more amazing. :)

The post you're referring to is here, and it's in the DIY sticky (although he let the transmission pump the fluid out, it won't suck it back in and it has to be added down the tube as usual, shutting off the engine regularly to do so). However, for the older ones (with a drain plug on the converter) and particularly if it hasn't been changed before, it's a good idea to drop the pan and clean the sediment from it and to change the filter as well.

Take care and enjoy flying the dog (I love the avatar),
Greg

·
Registered
2003 Mercedes Benz E500
668 Posts
Your car...

has the 722.6 transmission; the recommendation of Dextron III is INCORRECT.
Dex three is for the older four speed auto transmissions.

Additionally, your car has a drain plug on the torque converter, which will allow for a much more thorough fluid change.

Get the correct fluid before you do any damage to your transmission.

JR

·
Registered
1997 E420
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I actually hadn't checked any threads about a transmission fluid change before getting the filter, gasket and fluid. I have done this before on other vehicles (not MB) and assumed it would be about the same process. After I pulled the plug and only got a quart out I decided to come check the forum to see if I was missing something. I will definately stick with the MB fluid. I too noticed the flush method for the transmission. I believe from what everyone is saying I have the drain plug on the torque converter and since I will be dropping the pan anways I will probably just do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts