hello,

i have a 1997 g 320 with
7.5*18 rims on it et 63 (not 43 US)

i am wondering what ET i need to buy if i
want

8*20
8.5*20
9*20

I don't want my wheels to stick out past my fender flares.
I heard u can fit a 8.5*20 ET35
is this true?

thanx for any info
A newbie

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
you are totally out of luck. All larger (like 20's) are designed to stick out past the fender flares for that tough look... and more so than the stock MBUSA rims with et43 which also stick out past the fender flares. The rims width doesn't matter so much as the tire width and the offset. You'd probably have to run 235 or 225 series tires to get the tire inside the fender flare even with et43 rims.

ALl those rims will fit, but they will also all stick out past the fender flares by a fair amount. ...20's... [xx(]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok,

but why can brabus make 20" that fit?
i see on haralds site that there are some possibilities?
on my calculator
a 7.5*18 et 63
compared to a 8*20 et 48 will make the wheel stick out 20mm?that should still fit under the flares don't they?

tahnx

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Very easy -

your 7.5x18 ET 63 mm tucks away nicely under the fender flares

7.5x18 ET 43 mm moves out by 20 mm (63-43=20) and it is barely covered by the fender flares

if you use a 7.5x20 ET 35 mm the tire will move out by an additional 7 mm (63-35=27)

if you use a 9x20 ET with ET 35 your outer tire edge will move out another 3/4" [(9-7.5)/2 = 3.4]

So, a 9x20 ET 35 will stick out quite a bit.

On a separate note - 20" tires are low aspect ratio, hold a very low volume of air and will ride as harsh as a stage coach without springs.

Harald

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
the Brabus 20" does not fit under the standard fender flares - they are using 30 mm wider flares.

But why are you concerned whether your wheel will fit under the flares or not. Even though most US states haves laws that mandate covered tires - law enforcement does no really care.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Law Enforcement Jurisdictions

4x4abc - 5/1/2005 8:56 PM

the Brabus 20" does not fit under the standard fender flares - they are using 30 mm wider flares.

But why are you concerned whether your wheel will fit under the flares or not. Even though most US states haves laws that mandate covered tires - law enforcement does no really care.
He's in Belgium. Perhaps enforcement is different there.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
mercedesg1978... the other thing you have to remember is that haralds description of tires fitting under the flares is basically for 265 series tires... most tires for 20's are wider than that, so they're gonna stick out proportionally more.

There was an custom truck shop here in my town that put 24" rims on a g-wagen on request. They had a picture of it in the shop... when i mentioned i had seen it they actually laughed... they said the ride quality was absolutely horrible... and they were used to putting big rims on trucks.

·
Registered
1993 - 250 GD LWB Cabrio Wolf
97 Posts
RE: Law Enforcement Jurisdictions

4x4abc - 5/2/2005 3:21 AM

everyone in Europe runs for cover when they spot a car with Belgian license plates.
????? Why's that ?????

Is it because 20 years ago you could get a Belgian drivers license in a box of Cracker Jacks?

Is it because all cars in Belgium run on Diesel and all Belgian drivers run on beer?

You know, these statements are just rumors and have never been proven. [:D][8D]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts