Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 E55 - 18" monoblocks.

Yesterday, I noticed that my right rear tire was VERY low. Limped to the service station - had about 15 lbs in the tire. Refilled to 48 lbs. Checked and rechecked a few times. Have watched closely since and tire pressure is keeping constant. Still full 24 hours laters.

What happened? I am new to low profile tires - what would have caused the loss of pressure and not be a constant leak?

Sidewalls of the tire are a bit dragged up now - guess I have to watch that closely now. Kills me to have one bad tire, but what do you all think?

MRB

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
Have you an ex-girlfriend who stills has an insurance policy on you?

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Panel on the door says 41 lbs in front - 48 lbs in rear.

Your reactions suggest that is very very high for these tires.....is this folklore v. specs or am I (probably) not aware of something important (and life preserving)?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
you have a nail or some other defect in that tire that's causing slow air leak. check in a week or so and it'll be low again.

if you drive any fast in your E55 (who doesn't with a E55?), just replace the tire

·
Registered
2000 E430 Sport
343 Posts
Same thing happened to me...

I was going by what was on the driver’s door frame instead of what was inside the gas / fuel filler door. Big difference.

Also had tires filled with nitrogen - no problems with air since as nitrogen is much less susceptible to temperature change...

I still check regularly though (every week or two) - as the W210's ride/fuel quality will quickly diminish with tire deflation.

·
Registered
2000 E55 AMG
577 Posts
MRB1717 said:
Panel on the door says 41 lbs in front - 48 lbs in rear.

Your reactions suggest that is very very high for these tires.....is this folklore v. specs or am I (probably) not aware of something important (and life preserving)?
And that reaction is correct. The 41/48 combo applies to a fully loaded vehicle traveling at speeds in excess of 130 mph. Study the chart on the fuel door. You will find that the suggested psi is 32 front/ 33 rear under normal conditions which applies to 99% of us. Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 E55 AMG
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 41/48 combo applies to a fully loaded vehicle traveling at speeds in excess of 130 mph.

Hmmm....that would be never. I will go and lower the pressure to 32/33 tomorrow.

In any event - three days later and the 48 lbs is holding in the fishy tire....Dont really have a bucket big enough to look for bubbles.....what is plan B?

·
Registered
Classic 92 190E 2.6
4,235 Posts
MRB1717 said:
The 41/48 combo applies to a fully loaded vehicle traveling at speeds in excess of 130 mph.

Hmmm....that would be never. I will go and lower the pressure to 32/33 tomorrow.

In any event - three days later and the 48 lbs is holding in the fishy tire....Dont really have a bucket big enough to look for bubbles.....what is plan B?
Just add water and dish washing soap to your bucket and then apply to the tire (one section at a time) and look for bubbles. Do you have chrome wheels? There was another post (about a week ago) and the person had chrome wheels, the problem was that the chrome on the inside of the rim had flake off and the air was leaking at that point. It was stated that was a common problem with chrome wheels (from tire store). However with the high pressure of 48 lbs, it may not leak at that pressure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts