Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confirm 2002 E320 radio wiring harness (cross post with Audio)

Hello, can anyone confirm the power/control wires in the 2002 E320 radio wiring harness?
Grey
thick Red with White stripe
thick Brown
Yellow with Black stripe
Blue with White stripe
Is there a way to determine which is which using a volt meter?

What I don't get is, this E320 uses the same headunit as the early 2000's SLK, but the wiring didn't match what I read here - http://www.slk32.com/pages/radioupgrade/slkradioinstall.html Maybe the amps are slightly different?

If you can also confirm the 8 audio input wires, that would save me from guessing. Thanks.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I wonder if the radio is controled by the CAN bus. Is there a way to convert those CAN bus lines back to normal aftermarket headunit signals? Guess I'll have to keep reading.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I was wondering if you know the diagram for slot C on back of the stock radio connector?

I search all over and I found slot A (pretty much power-related)
and Slot B (speakers)

Because I have stock CD changer and stock phone, I just like to know which one is which. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
1997 M B E420 1990 Porsche 964 C2 Coupe
107 Posts
I posted the same queston about the C part of the harness.I got no responce.I did find some of the pins actions.Using the numbered key for the plug;

1- Can H(? right chanel)
2-Can L(? left Chanel
4- D2B wake up(amp power on when CD/Phone used) 5-KL30 12 volt always on
6-KL31 Neg ground

That's all I could find.I'm not even sure if pins 1 and 2 are the right and left chanels.Good luck.

Firefox 31 if you get a wiring harness for a 85 on VW it will hook in to the A and B parts of the harness.The wire color coad is the same as on the harness except the the red and orange wires are reveresd.You can get one at Best Buy under $20.I sent you a PM on the amp and related info.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jeff522 said:
thanks....... Just another question if you dont' mind.
Suppose I am ditching my Stock CD changer and Phone, then I simply unplug Slot C right? I meant it has nothing to do w/ Bose Amp?

It just that...slot C seems "fully occupied"

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not true depending on your head unit.In the Benz two things will turn on the amp.When the ant wire is on or when the amp wire is on.Some head units will only have the ant wire on durning radio use.When you use the CD the wire gose cold so the ant gose down.The amp power on is in the C part of the conector.If you have a head unit with the on only durning radio use the amp will go off when you try to use the CD.The way to get around it is to hook the amp turn on leed from the head unit to the ant pin.That way anytime the head unit is on the amp will be on as well.Since MBs don't have retractable ant it really dose not matter if it never gose off will using the stereo.If there is no power to the ant leed durning radio use the ant booster will be off,and no reception.This way everything works.Also, you don't need to hookup the C part of the conector.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jeff522 said:
Thanks for the reply...

This is what I am trying to find out.
I have E420 just like yours w/ Bose system w/ CD changer.
I just bought a Blaupunkt Monterrey because I want to play MP3.

The head unit should arrived tomorrow..and I already removed the stock radio (Becker BE 1692), and UNPLUG CD changer off the trunk. (CD changer is on sale now:p )

Can you explain to me as if to a 5 year old, what should I do w/ my C-part connector?

thanks,

·
Registered
107 Posts
you don't have to do anything with it.Just leave it alone.Good choice on head unit. Blaupunkt is one of the brands that the Ant power is hot/on only when the radio is on.Remember to hook-up the Turn on amp line from you head unit to the power line for the Ant.Get the 85 on VW wiring harness adapter Best Buy less than $20.Saves a lot of time.You can splice the two harness(head unit+VW) in a good work area.Then all you need to do is to plug them in.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jeff522 said:
you don't have to do anything with it.Just leave it alone.Good choice on head unit. Blaupunkt is one of the brands that the Ant power is hot/on only when the radio is on.Remember to hook-up the Turn on amp line from you head unit to the power line for the Ant.Get the 85 on VW wiring harness adapter Best Buy less than $20.Saves a lot of time.You can splice the two harness(head unit+VW) in a good work area.Then all you need to do is to plug them in.
where is "hook-up the Turn on amp line from you head unit to the power line for the Ant"??? (sorry, I feel like a total idiot)

Here is the diagram for the Blauplunkt I got...and it does not need any adapter for the factor connector.......should I re-route something here? Thanks,..........

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Since your radio has all three parts A B C just plug the three conectors in and it should work.There is an amp on line C-1-#6 which will hook-up to the stock plug.Its true plug and play.If the Cs don't conect all you need to do is cut the C-1-#6 wire on the head unit side.Then cut the A-5 wire. Now take head unit side C-1-#6 and conect it to the distal A-5 wire.That way anytime the head unit is on power will be sent to the Ant line,which in turn will turn on theant booster as well as the amp.If you have any questons or run into a proble just ask.Its not a problem.I've been messing withh this stuff for 20 years and I still get confused sometimes

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jeff522 said:
Since your radio has all three parts A B C just plug the three conectors in and it should work.There is an amp on line C-1-#6 which will hook-up to the stock plug.Its true plug and play.If the Cs don't conect all you need to do is cut the C-1-#6 wire on the head unit side.Then cut the A-5 wire. Now take head unit side C-1-#6 and conect it to the distal A-5 wire.That way anytime the head unit is on power will be sent to the Ant line,which in turn will turn on theant booster as well as the amp.If you have any questons or run into a proble just ask.Its not a problem.I've been messing withh this stuff for 20 years and I still get confused sometimes

thanks~~~~~~~~~~~
I just plug the stock wire into the head unit w/out any modification.
(except the C slot) and everything works perfectly.

I was surprise it took me less than 10 min to install a brand new unit!!!!!!!!!!!

And took me 30 min to adjust the display color to match stock amber color..I am happy~~~~~~~~:)

P.S., I finally understand what you meant by connect the stock-antenna-connector to 12V Amplifier line on the new head unit!!!!!
THANKS SO MUCH!!!!! You DA MAN!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm glad you got things working.The frist time I came across that wiring situation it drove me nuts for two days trying to understand switching the wires.

·
Registered
Green '02 E320 Wagon
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree with Jeff that the C connector can be left disconnected for an aftermarket deck install. I guess it controls CAN BUS (brown, brown/red) and phone. Your C connector is a lot more full than mine, so maybe some wires from A are there.

The "Turn on amp line" on my '02 E320 wagon is A connector pin 5 colored blue/white, also known as "remote turn on" or "amp sense", called "Aut Antenna" on your diagram. On my Metra #70-1784 harness, it's the pink wire.

Hopefully the speaker wiring on the Metra harness will match what comes out of your dash. Hook up all power/control wires, then test connect one speaker at a time (both their + and - wire) to make sure they match. Odd, my notes don't seem to match the wiring harness... I thought they did.......

·
Registered
2000 E430
54 Posts
Could someone enlighten me on how to release a wire from the 16-pin connector? I have poked and prodded quite a bit but haven't been able to find the magic release technique.

I am trying to move/re-purpose an unused wire at location 2 to location 6 to wire it for illumination. Thx.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts