Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SL500
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help school me! :)

I have a '96 with AMG 18"wheels on it which look great, but I have noticed when I have the steering at full lock right or left, there is some rubbing going on. I can see some wear on the strut boot as well.

I assume this is being caused by improper wheel offset. How can I tell what kind of spacers (if that is the solution) I should be using to avoid this. I can avoid it just by not turning the wheel all the way :) but I would prefer it to be set up properly.

Please help.

·
Registered
w140 300SEL 1992, w124 500E 1991, w124 300td Turbo 1992, r129 500SL 1994
261 Posts
I was just like you before buying a specific rims set, so I searched and read a lot of threads, and one very useful website that was mentionned is: Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit

Here you can simulate several possibilities for differents sets and then, calculate the offset needed for the rims to suit your car, if everything else matches. Click on the "i" information button to get a clear example.

Basically, the offset is the correction needed for the rim to suit the car's specification regarding driving train, when rims differ from the factory ones, without modifying the running capabilities of the car. However, the offset can not be to important. For instance, I have equiped the rims with 40mm offset spacers, and that seems to be close to the maximum range a car can accept (to what I understood).

Jean-Louis

·
Outstanding Contributor
450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500se+500slAMG +250seStkW108 350sl4spdX3 500secEuro
22,366 Posts
For the OP's specific scenario, let's start by identifying what he has.

How about a picture of the wheels?

If you want to go the full mile, pull a wheel off and get the part number and maybe the offset from the back of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,372 Posts
Yes, on the spacers.

But if you come out.

You may also need to roll the fenders.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
94 SL600, 89 Jag XJS conv, 85 Daimler Princess, 97 993 63 Avanti 16 Lincoln MKZ hybrid 16 Silverado
720 Posts
Offset is important, but if even ideal the tire wall can cause your observed "rub"
My focus will not be offset, but Tire shape. The rub you hear and rubbed surfaces you see inside the front wheel well can be because the tire sidewall exceeds the space.
I have several sets of tires that I purchased that are mounted on rims ( 15, 16, 17 inch ) and while I experimented with sidewall profile ( 55-35 ) for the "cool new look" I made mistakes in tire selection with the tread width and mid wall width. If the tire specifications have a mid wall width greater that the tread ( on the pavement ) then the close space on the inner part of the wheel well can be contacted by the tire in rotation. ( more when tire is not fully inflated )
After careful selection of the tire from the Tire Rack charts I now have semi cool wheels that don't rub!

·
Banned
5 Posts
Ohh, I'm really sorry, buddy, but unfortunately I can’t advise you anything because I never had amg. I really love my BMW m3, but lately I also have a problem with it. The car’s engine is knocking very hard and I don’t know how to fix it ... I was at the car dealership, but they also don’t know the reason for this noise. I even read on one site anonymous stories related to the machine, but could not fix it. Now I’m thinking about just selling it and buying something else ...

·
Registered
94 SL320 98 SL500 99 SL600
1,005 Posts
For the OP: Tell us what the ET is on the front and rear wheels you can see it on the inside of the wheels. With that I can tell you the spacer sizes you need. I'm going to assume it is ET30 on the front and ET33 on the rear by the picture of your car.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,973 Posts
Started to reply in earnest, until I saw that the original post is 2 plus years old, July 1st 2017, I don't think the OP is watching? really nothing to add now

·
Registered
1985 280SL
260 Posts
Please help school me! :)

I have a '96 with AMG 18"wheels on it which look great, but I have noticed when I have the steering at full lock right or left, there is some rubbing going on. I can see some wear on the strut boot as well.

I assume this is being caused by improper wheel offset. How can I tell what kind of spacers (if that is the solution) I should be using to avoid this. I can avoid it just by not turning the wheel all the way :) but I would prefer it to be set up properly.

Please help.
Very simply, offset is the distance the mating surface of the wheel to the hub is positioned in or out from the center line of the wheel. Positive offset moves the wheel inward toward the frame. Negative offset moves the wheel outward toward the fender lip. Most modern wheels have a lot of positive offset. In your case you need offset to be more negative (wheel moved outward). This can be done by adding a spacer between your wheel and hub or buying wheels with less positive offset. This assumes you won't have outside rubbing issues afterward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts