Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 S600 & 1999 S500
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a problem with condensation forming inside or between the double pane windows? I just replaced all the windows in my house for this reason. I think I read where MB had experimented with an inert gas between the panes. Is replacement the only solution.

·
Registered
98' S320, 93' Mazda Miata
12 Posts
As far as I've ever learned, yes. No DIYer will likely ever have the equipment to pull a vacuum on a window like that whether it's for your house or your car. A glass shop will be able to tell you for sure, but you're probably in for replacement if they ever develop a leak like that. Is there a Mercedes wrecker near you? Those windows are NOT going to be cheap new...

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
Seals have failed for whatever reason. Likely neglect/abuse

over 1000$ PER WINDOW. Dealer only. Cannot be resealed/vacuumed etc.

time to hit the junkyards

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Seals have failed for whatever reason. Likely neglect/abuse

over 1000$ PER WINDOW. Dealer only. Cannot be resealed/vacuumed etc.

time to hit the junkyards
How do you neglect and abuse a window? Without actually taking a hammer to it of course... :confused:

·
Premium Member
2002 Black SL500, 2000 Azure blue SL500, 2005 Silver (A209) CLK500
1,001 Posts
There are plenty of bone yards and sellers parting out W140's.
Buy a used one, save money.

·
Registered
1993 W140 500SEL Black/Black, 12014 Ford Fiesta ST Blk/Blk
1,128 Posts
I guess a baseball may hit your window. INSURANCE may cover it... I mean, well yeah.

My comprehensive insurance premium is the highest part of my whole policy, due to the windows, even at my employee discount, window glass is 800 for the fronts, 700 for the rear, coupé glass is more!

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
How do you neglect and abuse a window? Without actually taking a hammer to it of course... :confused:
The seal is rubber and glue. Same way you neglect rubber and same way glue fails.

Manhandling it, cleaning the channels with a screwdriver, botched up tint jobs...

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
I guess a baseball may hit your window. INSURANCE may cover it... I mean, well yeah.

My comprehensive insurance premium is the highest part of my whole policy, due to the windows, even at my employee discount, window glass is 800 for the fronts, 700 for the rear, coupé glass is more!
aargh mine wants 1022 for the front. that's a mere 222 more than yours before tax. :eek:

never even looked at the coupes. add a few hundred more for those

·
Registered
12 Posts
OE Discount Parts

This place appears to be an east-coast dealer. Haven't ever used them so I can't comment on their service but $802 seems like a good deal.

Also, verify that you've got a front or rear glass problem. That site didn't specify.

If you are really looking for a value proposition, call Speedy Auto Glass or one of the other glass repair shops in your town. They may be able to get a PPG or other window that can be fitted - but make sure their technicians know how to take the door apart, the wood is extremely easily broken.

-Jason

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
you don't really need to fool with the wood to get the door panel off :)

the nightmare begins trying to get all the window channels and hardware out and back in. oh nightmares on daimler street.

·
Premium Member
84 500 SEL ...94 S420..... 95 S500.... 96 S500 95 S600
1,707 Posts
side window glass

I have all kinds of glass,I sell them for $65.00 plus the shipping..let me know if your interested, Eddie

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gyrate -

In the 97-99 with side airbags, you have to remote the one with the seat controls as there's a screw behind it. A plastic putty knife can release the clips - but do /they/ know that? You'd be surprised what I've seen some of those 'technicians' do... ;)

·
Registered
nothing broken. finally!
2,619 Posts
Tell me about it. Im still discovering hidden carnage in mine.

Yes you do need to pop the seat control panel. It has metal backing so unless you gauge it, it won't break. Taking the center console out is way more hairy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts