Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had our E350 washed and noticed there is a bit of condensation/fog build up on the front lights just around the lower corners. Is this normal due to the fact the lights are not fully sealed. I know this is a known issue for BMWs as their lights are not sealed for air to get through.

Any one noticed this as well? Thanks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the pictures of the headlights with the condensation. The car was washed around 5pm and I guess the weather was a bit cold....55 F here in LA. The condensation cleared after a few hours and hasn't come back thus far.

Any one had this as well? I know for BMW was a known issue and SAs told people the headlights had air vents that sometime will allow condensation build up as long as no visible water was building up inside the headlight unit, it was fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
2010 E350 Luxury, P1 Package
124 Posts
Fog/DRL's

Haven't noticed on the main lights, but my car has the round fog and DRL's. When I spray them with the hose, water gets on the inside, but it seems to clear up by time I am through drying the car. I think they may be open on the back side, but not sure.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
You will get mixed opinions from MB on this one..

Had the same problem on the G55... had the warranty replace several lights, multiple times, each time same symptom.

According to them, a "minimal" amount of condensation (like what I would consider from your photos) is "Within Normal Limits". "If" you can run your headlamps for several minutes, and have the condensation Resolve, then its in the "normal" range. If NOT, then you probably have a leaking seal.... which I would (personally) have replaced.

Here in the 7th ring of Dante's Inferno, any sort of leak (with our Salt, Heat and Humidity) is Future Disaster.

My .02

G

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to play with this one for it bit and see what happens. Forecast calls for rain in the next week here so I'll keep an eye on this one and if it gets worst definitely let the dealer know and show them the pics.

Will update you guys on this one.

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Definitely not normal. I'd get them replaced. M-B might try and toy with you on the subject, but any condensation should be unacceptable. My Chevy had some condensation, and they replaced both headlights.

Thing about condensation is, aside from potential electrical issues perhaps, there are vanity repercussions. Once water gets in there, and dust, debris, etc. the headlights crisp/clarity will start to fade, and you'll get the "old crusty lights" look much faster.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
You will get mixed opinions from MB on this one..

Had the same problem on the G55... had the warranty replace several lights, multiple times, each time same symptom.

According to them, a "minimal" amount of condensation (like what I would consider from your photos) is "Within Normal Limits". "If" you can run your headlamps for several minutes, and have the condensation Resolve, then its in the "normal" range. If NOT, then you probably have a leaking seal.... which I would (personally) have replaced.

Here in the 7th ring of Dante's Inferno, any sort of leak (with our Salt, Heat and Humidity) is Future Disaster.

My .02

G
I guess I'll add one mixed opinion. It should be normal to get some moisture condensation in certain cases but the moisture should disappear at normal use, specifically once lights have been on for a while.

The light units may have been hot at the time of the car wash and the mist from washing the car could even get sucked into the head lights when the hot air cools down and shrinks and air from outside of the lights enters the inside.

The amount of moisture should still be minor if all seals are good and the moisture should only appear shortly and disappear during normal car use.

K-A, I was wondering if you can comment on the moisture issue because you cannot be an expert on rain related problems, it never rains in California anyway. :) But I guess you too have to wash the car every now and then.

·
Registered
W212 E350: AMG Sport/P2/Pano/Etc. & '09 Chevy Malibu / Sold M-B's: '06 E350 & '02 S500
514 Posts
Lol. Mother Nature is trying to reverse popular thought right now, it seems. We've had non stop on-and-off rain in the past couple of months. This ain't the California I signed up for (was born into)!. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been raining non stop for the last 5 days here in Los Angeles......Not just rain but pouring at times.

Anyhow, the condensation problem still comes and goes so it looks like a normal thing as long as it clears up moments after. It may be an european thing with air vents in the headlight units. Like some folks here said they changed headlights a few times only to have the same condensation.

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,093 Posts
It's been raining non stop for the last 5 days here in Los Angeles......Not just rain but pouring at times.

And you are still driving??? Did you get the Outrigger/Pontoon Option on your E??

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
And you are still driving??? Did you get the Outrigger/Pontoon Option on your E??
:D

By the way, modern head lights should have a Gore-tex film on the breather hole. It should let the moisture get out but none get in.

If condensation appears frequently, not only after a bulb has been replaced or so, one of the flaps at the rear might be misplaced or some other leak causing this.

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's definitely not normal. No water should get in, period. I'd take it in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts