Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I turned my computer on this morning and I left it on for about 5 hours and it stayed untouched until this afternoon. This afternoon I wiggle the mouse and I got a big blue screen it read, Microsoft Windows has shutdown your computer to prevent damage............................". At the bottom of the screen it had just a bunch of codes like, %%%%66^^^^554683265%%%///. Then I pressed the power buton and it went off, then I pressed it again and the computer came on but the screen never does, the button turns green for about 5 sec and then turns orange. I pressed the "Menu" button and the moniter and it says "In power save mode, press and button on keyboard to exit". The mouse, and keyboard don't have any power so I can press all the buttons I want and it will not do anything, none of the lights are on.

Also on the PC there are 2 lights that are on, 3 and 4 are lite up, what do they stand for?

I have a 2005 Dell E310 desktop.

Please respond if you know anything I could do try to fix it. Thanks,

79Mercy

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just might.

Seriously, does anyone know what is wrong with it? Thanks

·
Registered
9,689 Posts
Call Achmed...er I mean Dell. they should walk you through it. if you have the iron ear for an extra hour n' 1/2 .

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Hard to say, but you may have been swatted by a trojan. Too late now, but you should really use a ghost imaging client. If you had, you might have been up and running within about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know what you mean by trojan or ghost imaging client. I do have Norton Anti-Virus installed on it if that helps.

Nope, so sound.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Unplug the power cord completely from the computer. Wait a couple of minutes and plug it back in and press the power button.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
46,416 Posts
Not anti-virus, something like Norton Ghost. Anti-virus software won't protect you from a trojan.

·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts
The lights you saw are blink-code for "you bought a cheap POS, and the tab has just come due".

+1 to buy an iMac. If you have an Apple store, you may be able to ask them about helping you save your docs from the old system and put them on the Mac, which I'm told they do for free.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unplug the power cord completely from the computer. Wait a couple of minutes and plug it back in and press the power button.
I did that and it still does the samething.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts
Can you hear anything spinning (fans or hard drives) when you power the system on? Any clicks? Anything smell inorganic?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try and re boot it with the start up cd that came with the unit. If it works then it may be the hard drive. Had this problem last year.
Which disk do I use? I didn't use a start-up disk when I first got it I don't think.

Come on guys, lets be serious

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can you hear anything spinning (fans or hard drives) when you power the system on? Any clicks? Anything smell inorganic?
When i turn it on I hear something spinning and and clicking and then it stops and then the load light goes off and the 3 and 4 lights stay on.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts