Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Euro 560 SEL
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just posted what I hope is a comprehensive suspension parts lists in the Do It Yourself thread. Hopefully this will help people chasing down shimmy & suspension issues. Feel free to post any corrections or additions.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Nice... But you should take out the Uro parts prices... Notoriously bad brand. Iirc one of allydon's cars was totaled from one of their flex discs failing. Very good work though, should definitely prove helpful.

·
Registered
1990 560 SEL with Euro engine, 1998 SL500 Sport
2,957 Posts
Yup, so was Allabassi's car. As I recall he put Uro flex dics's that failed and resulted in a path of destruction that totaled the car. And if they don't fail completely, they wear out abnormally fast and you'll be redoing the job in 6 months. I just had this discussion with a mechanic friend of mine.

That's an excellent list however. Would those part numbers work for MB genuine?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I would think Meyle where there aren't genuine benz parts to be had... That's what I ordered for the upper outer control arm bushings at least. Febi would be another option, but Meyle seems to be a better established company.

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
Quality varies even from one vendor.

Febi parts used to be good (5 years ago), but not anymore, especially for parts like thermostats, bearings, joints... I basically rebuilt suspension on a 400E with Febi parts, and they all failed after a short time. After replacing with more quality parts, problems never came back.

I have good experience with TRW, Lesjofords, Sachs, Meyle (but I didn't get many parts from them). I stay away from Febi, Moog, Starline (a low-cost brand). Sometimes it's worth to check the price at the dealer, some parts are even cheaper.

Also, ordering a Febi part and getting a Febi box might not mean getting a Febi part - I've seen lots of repacked stuff (different brands of one manufacturer in the same box).

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Yes TRW is stock for a few things, like the UCA and tie rods I believe. I also don't trust Febi, but they're for sure better than Uro.

Did you have a bad experience with Moog? I've heard nothing but good about them. I have a friend's dad who rebuilt a jeep's suspension with all moog parts, and there was a guy on here with a sandrail with all moog parts with 70 thousand miles on them,(I believe he said.)

·
Registered
W124 400E, W126 500SE
971 Posts
Yes TRW is stock for a few things, like the UCA and tie rods I believe. I also don't trust Febi, but they're for sure better than Uro.

Did you have a bad experience with Moog? I've heard nothing but good about them. I have a friend's dad who rebuilt a jeep's suspension with all moog parts, and there was a guy on here with a sandrail with all moog parts with 70 thousand miles on them,(I believe he said.)
I think it may vary wildly by vehicle/part type and even region where you buy it. I had Moog bearings in my front wheels, neither lasted more than 3000kms - after changing them for another brand (can't remember now, japanese), they held forever. And it was not an installation error ;-) Moog joints were also loose immediately after hitting a few potholes. I'm not talking about them failing completely, but they had play immediately, so I swapped them.
But I also owned a Crown Vic recently and Moog parts were said to be one of the better ones, so I take even my own experience with a grain of salt ;-)

400E is a much less forgiving car than any W126 I had, if something were even slightly out of spec, it failed instantly. Cheap viscous clutches that work well in other W124s and W126s were ripped apart in a few weeks, Monroe shocks lasted a month (now 2 years on the same set of Bilsteins), even Febi thermostat only lasted a year...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Gotcha. I've got a Moog upper control arm right now, hopefully it lasts. I just couldn't see spending almost twice the money on TRW when I had heard nothing but good about moog... and, if I recall correctly, I had heard of people ordering TRW, getting a TRW box, but it was a Federal Mogul part, which is the company that makes Moog... With all the outsourcing nowadays, car parts can be such a crap shoot. All the companies' quality seems to be changing all the time.

·
Registered
1983 300 SD, 1991 420 SEL, 1979 300SD
536 Posts
whoever reads this first might get a great deal. i was perusing rock auto last week and found TRW brand w126 UCA on clearance for $11. i received mine today; they are NOS but say made in germany on the box. there are only 2 left as of 30 min ago ( i bought the other 4 :) ). the rubber boots say TRW on them so it is a real TRW.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Whoa, at parts.com last I checked they were $136... I spent $70 or $80 on a Moog I believe. The thing is though, if they weren't in the right environment, the rubber will probably go very quickly. But I'm guessing that's why you bought 4...

·
Registered
536 Posts
they're in great shape, they don't look dry rotted or anything, the ball joint has a cover over it and the bushings have that white powder on em, but heck for $11 a piece..., not really sure if there's a way to tell when they were made

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I just checked and they're either no longer there or our cars have different ones(which I don't think is the case.) :( You have to wonder if that was a clerical error or something, that's crazy cheap.

Edit:weird, lists it for the 420 but not my 500, and they have Moog brand for mine but not yours, maybe they are different

·
Registered
536 Posts
hmmm, i thought all w126's have the same UCA. maybe it's not showing right because your's is a euro?

·
Registered
536 Posts
it's the same i believe, look at the crappy uro brand part number for both vehicles; it's the same for both of ours

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just checked and they're either no longer there or our cars have different ones(which I don't think is the case.) :( You have to wonder if that was a clerical error or something, that's crazy cheap.

Edit:weird, lists it for the 420 but not my 500, and they have Moog brand for mine but not yours, maybe they are different
not a price mistake at all; it's just a warehouse getting rid of stuff that's not selling. i've ordered a bunch of stuff from them for my other vehicles too if they're on clearance. i got a starter for my nissan pickup (brand new, not reman.) a few years ago for like 8 bucks; it's still sitting in my cabinet.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Wow. Rockauto must kick ass. I'll let someone else take the last ones, I've already got a brand new one, and I just know I'll lose it if I let it sit in the garage for more than a year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts