Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gang,

Having a unique issue that require your help to resolved.

Car : 2006 CLK500 Conv.

3 weeks ago all of the sudden got a Red Battery Warr. sign on dashboard. Did the diag. on voltage from Alternator and found the alternator was not working. Removed it took it to local autozone and it was dead. Replaced it with rebuild unit acquired from dealer. Once replaced everything was back to normal.

Drove car for a 10 days approx 500 to 600 miles and the same issue occurred. Diag. alternator and it was dead so replaced it with another rebuild unit which was tested completely prior to installing it. Everything was checked out. Once replaced everything was back to normal.

Few days back while driving in NY City got the same Red light and car wouldn't start. AAA was called and they jumped the car. once running checked the voltage on dashboard it was 12.6 to 12.3 indicating the alternator is no good. Towed the car back to NJ.

Yesterday, inspected the car engine area in detailed and notice there is a small leak of oil, from left side of engine from back side of head gasket. Positive battery cable which runs from top of the back portion of the engine and down below connection to starter and alternator, the cable has protective sleeve and i found it is covered with Dripping oil. There is a possibility that hot oil may have penetrated within the sleeve and made a contact with positive cable harness. ( Have to work on to remove the cable and inspect that next).

Meanwhile today i have changed the new head gasket and there is no more oil leaking from engine compartment.

Before I invest in new alternator wanted to see if you all expert has any theory that can explain why my alternator is keep getting fried. Is there any other possibility out there that can explain the issue related to alternator ? One more thing i noticed is when the alternator goes bad the voltage regulator from the the bad alternator is working fine when it is swap with
another working alternator.

There are no other codes or issue with the car. each time when I replaced the alternator (2 times already in 3 weeks) after the replacement all test is been performed and everything is working fine.

Any help from all of experts out there is appreciated.

Thanks

Dax

·
Registered
347 Posts
Electrical problems are always fun . . .

Oil on the wires is messy and undesirable (it eventually deteriorates the insulation) but oil isn't conductive so that's not what's killing your alternator(s).

You've swapped the regulators around and determined that at least one of them is good.

The alternator itself is pretty simple: A stator (the armature), which makes the power, a rotor (the field) which is an electromagnet, a set of carbon brushes which provide power to the rotor from the regulator, and six (sometimes more) diodes which convert the AC power from the armature to DC which goes off to the battery and the rest of the car. There are also a front and rear bearing, a pulley which sometimes incorporates a fan and SOMETIMES a thin blue wire which goes off to the charge indicator lamp or ECU. (This blue wire is generally found on Bosch alternators, nobody else uses this connection.)

I'd like to take one of the failed alternators apart and see what exactly has failed.

Did all the alternators come from the same source? (Autozone?) If so, they may have a quality control issue which you were lucky enough to discover. I can't see this exact alternator being used on a bazillion other cars, but it likely does appear on other MB models. If they only have a few in stock and they were all rebuilt by the same guy on the same day at the same facility, that might be a clue.

I would check the freedom of the brushes in the brush block, sometimes they are a little tight or can get contaminated (from oil mixed with carbon dust) and they don't make proper contact with the rotor slip rings - no power to the rotor means no power from the stator. Also make sure they are the correct length, and the springs are not weakened from heat.

Get a cheap Harbor Freight voltmeter, and using the ohms scale, check the diodes (one end of each out of circuit) for continuity one way and no continuity the other. Any diodes which show open (nc-nc) or short (continuity both ways) are bad, nc-nc will reduce the output of the alternator, and a shorted diode lets AC into the system which will give everything indigestion. Diodes usually fail open.

The stator and the rotor seldom give trouble, and I can't see three in a row being bad the same way.

I think I'd look at the brushes and brush block first, then the diodes (as a distant second).

If you take an alternator apart, there are torque values for the thru-bolts. Mark which way the case aligns, some can be assembled 120 degrees off, either way. Also, there are two ways the brushes can get power to the rotor. The first way is a pair of concentric slip rings ("flat face") which poses no particular problems on re-assembly. The other way uses a pair of disc shaped rings on the end of the shaft, and if the brush block is assembled in the back cover, you can't put it all back together again because you can't get the brushes to retract to clear the rings. Plan A is install the brush block after the case is assembled, plan B is look closely at the brush block and see if there is a small hole in the side. If so, the trick is to insert a straightened paper clip to hold the brushes back, put everything together, then withdraw the paper clip so the springs can push the brushes into contact with the slip rings.

Leave the pulley on the shaft, if the bearing is OK, there's no need to take this apart (special pullers and fixtures, the nut is TIGHT, too.)

How old is the battery? All electrical trouble shooting starts with a known good and fully charged battery . . .

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Electrical problems are always fun . . .

Oil on the wires is messy and undesirable (it eventually deteriorates the insulation) but oil isn't conductive so that's not what's killing your alternator(s).

You've swapped the regulators around and determined that at least one of them is good.

The alternator itself is pretty simple: A stator (the armature), which makes the power, a rotor (the field) which is an electromagnet, a set of carbon brushes which provide power to the rotor from the regulator, and six (sometimes more) diodes which convert the AC power from the armature to DC which goes off to the battery and the rest of the car. There are also a front and rear bearing, a pulley which sometimes incorporates a fan and SOMETIMES a thin blue wire which goes off to the charge indicator lamp or ECU. (This blue wire is generally found on Bosch alternators, nobody else uses this connection.)

I'd like to take one of the failed alternators apart and see what exactly has failed.

Did all the alternators come from the same source? (Autozone?) If so, they may have a quality control issue which you were lucky enough to discover. I can't see this exact alternator being used on a bazillion other cars, but it likely does appear on other MB models. If they only have a few in stock and they were all rebuilt by the same guy on the same day at the same facility, that might be a clue.

I would check the freedom of the brushes in the brush block, sometimes they are a little tight or can get contaminated (from oil mixed with carbon dust) and they don't make proper contact with the rotor slip rings - no power to the rotor means no power from the stator. Also make sure they are the correct length, and the springs are not weakened from heat.

Get a cheap Harbor Freight voltmeter, and using the ohms scale, check the diodes (one end of each out of circuit) for continuity one way and no continuity the other. Any diodes which show open (nc-nc) or short (continuity both ways) are bad, nc-nc will reduce the output of the alternator, and a shorted diode lets AC into the system which will give everything indigestion. Diodes usually fail open.

The stator and the rotor seldom give trouble, and I can't see three in a row being bad the same way.

I think I'd look at the brushes and brush block first, then the diodes (as a distant second).

If you take an alternator apart, there are torque values for the thru-bolts. Mark which way the case aligns, some can be assembled 120 degrees off, either way. Also, there are two ways the brushes can get power to the rotor. The first way is a pair of concentric slip rings ("flat face") which poses no particular problems on re-assembly. The other way uses a pair of disc shaped rings on the end of the shaft, and if the brush block is assembled in the back cover, you can't put it all back together again because you can't get the brushes to retract to clear the rings. Plan A is install the brush block after the case is assembled, plan B is look closely at the brush block and see if there is a small hole in the side. If so, the trick is to insert a straightened paper clip to hold the brushes back, put everything together, then withdraw the paper clip so the springs can push the brushes into contact with the slip rings.

Leave the pulley on the shaft, if the bearing is OK, there's no need to take this apart (special pullers and fixtures, the nut is TIGHT, too.)

How old is the battery? All electrical trouble shooting starts with a known good and fully charged battery . . .

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida
Mike,

Thanks for your detailed reply. As of now following has been done with no resolution to the issue. Also some of the answers to your questions are also listed below.

1) The new Positive Batt. Cable is installed, just to be safe.
2) The leak is been fixed so no more oil is dripping.
3) Installed Brand new OEM battery.
4) Installed New Alternator (4th one)

Car is running fine with no lights or code but it is matter of time when the alternator gets zapped again.

The first two alternator was from a dealer, third one was from a another part car friend of mine has with only 40K miles on it. I have not purchased the alternator from Autozone or other auto parts store. Each burned out alternator has working voltage regulator and it is not getting blowup. I have not had a time to open up the blown alternator as of yet, but i am planning to so soon.

Looks like there is a short of some kind in electrical system which affects the alternator but only after few weeks of driving.

Thanks

Dax

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
2 Participants
daxpatel
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing