Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, my 2005 SL500 briefly displayed the top not working - see workshop message, followed by a complete shutdown of all electrical systems while driving. Gauges and lights stopped, door locks, windows, everything. Car still drove, and steering and brakes were functional. In this condition, the only thing that would work was the "rest" button on the climate control; it was basically as if the key had been taken out of the car.

A few minutes later, the car reset. It failed again a few minutes later, and this repeated itself about a half-dozen times in 20 miles. I called Mercedes SOS, no much help, and drove it to the dealer and left it with a key drop and note.

My first guess is the accessories battery, though I had no warning messages, and the functioning of the "rest" button was curious if this was the case. Who knows what went haywire; I'll talk to the service department on Monday.

Anyone else have anything similar happen? The good news is the car has 4 months of warranty left, and is at 49,200 miles - just 800 miles short of warranty expiration (yes, I'm likely to buy an extended warranty before it runs out).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dealer called today, the diagnosis was a faulty instrument cluster. Repair is covered under warranty, I'll report back if this solved the problem.

·
Registered
2007 SL 350
63 Posts
Yesterday, my 2005 SL500 briefly displayed the top not working - see workshop message, followed by a complete shutdown of all electrical systems while driving. Gauges and lights stopped, door locks, windows, everything. Car still drove, and steering and brakes were functional. In this condition, the only thing that would work was the "rest" button on the climate control; it was basically as if the key had been taken out of the car.

A few minutes later, the car reset. It failed again a few minutes later, and this repeated itself about a half-dozen times in 20 miles. I called Mercedes SOS, no much help, and drove it to the dealer and left it with a key drop and note.

My first guess is the accessories battery, though I had no warning messages, and the functioning of the "rest" button was curious if this was the case. Who knows what went haywire; I'll talk to the service department on Monday.

Anyone else have anything similar happen? The good news is the car has 4 months of warranty left, and is at 49,200 miles - just 800 miles short of warranty expiration (yes, I'm likely to buy an extended warranty before it runs out).
hi has it solved the problem what did the dealer say ? mines 2007 had car 17 months i always keep car garaged overnight.if i dont use car for 1 or two days had trouble last year when weather got cold convienence functions unavailable message ,main dealer changed rear sam unit.its happening again this winter.ever since ive owned the car noticed that when you lock car the instument cluster lights and clock display stay on for up to 2 minutes after other outside lights go off took it to main dealer this morning he altered something in settings via buttons on steering wheel, locked car with remote the instrument cluster lights went out with the outside lights.unlocked /locked again without altering any settings instrument cluster lights staying on again for about 2 mins after outside lights go off.he thinks the instrument cluster lights could be coming back on again when the car is locked in his words the car is not fully asleep something causing it to wake up again. how long do your instrument cluster lights stay on after locking car and outside lights go off,or do they go off with outside lights?

·
Registered
2007 SL 350
63 Posts
had car back from dealer friday,found instrument cluster faulty(ordered new one) battery in trunk faulty (replaced), luckily covered on warranty

·
Registered
2008 SL550 86k miles
2 Posts
Dead Car: Same issues

2008 R230 SL550 86k miles
No electrical power. I had to use the physical key to unlock the car door. The FOB won't turn in the ignition to start the car.
Nothing works.. 2 new fully charged batteries. Clean battery contact poles
No dash lights, no dome light, no headlamp, no horn, no accessories, nothing that's battery powered will function.

Any advice?

David

·
Registered
2008 SL550R
123 Posts
Use the same key that you opened the door with on the trunk try to get either a battery charger or jumper cables hooked up to the battery under the trunk floor right side. When you open try twisting the cables on the battery it could be that simple or it could need a new battery. As another get put new batteries in your fob Incase you haven’t. Where were the batteries replaced dealer/Indy/battery shop. Did the car function properly after these tasks were completed. In my experience it usually isn’t a fuse, if you have a battery tester use it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts