Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Complete Restoration + turbo 617 & 4-speed swap

I'm a full-time graduate student hoping to finish my thesis and and graduate by December; as if that wasn't enough pressure I also want to completely restore my '78 240D.

I've posted a couple threads about this project so far but my situation keeps changing.

As of now I decided to nearly do a ground up restoration and am currently in the process of completely stripping it down to be media blasted. So far I have everything out except for the suspension, engine and trans, and the rats nest of tubes, hoses, and wires under the dash. The engine and trans are coming out tomorrow and I am carefully trying to remove the wiring harness.

I bought a rusty-beyond-hope low mileage '85 300D. I want to match the turbo 617 to my original 4-speed and also swap the dash and entire interior (dash, carpets, seats, pillars, everything except the headliner).

I also want to use the wiring harness from the '85 which seems like the most daunting part of this project for me.

So...here are the questions I have as of now.

1) Has anyone ever removed/replaced their entire wiring harness? and if so do you have any tips or concerns :)

2) Will it be possible to keep my old-type climate control system?

3) The '85 parts car has electric windows. Should I go electric or keep the manual?

4) Am I absolutely insane?! * insert positive encouragement below ;) *

Attachments

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Are you mad? Yes you are - in fact yes we are! I've stripped my chassis to nothing.

My W123 saloon / sedan old accident repair (and a bit of rust repair) thread - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

It looks like you are going to beat me to it though. I've got loads of other stuff going on at the moment which means I'm getting about 0 hours a week on the project.

The wiring loom on my '81 300D was really easy to remove (after everything else had gone!). I plan to replace with my own low resistance custom design 'cos after all electrics is really important for an old fashioned diesel...

So good luck and get on with it whilst you can!

·
Registered
77 240D
993 Posts
don't remove the wiring loom until (a) you have decided where wiring for all the extra devices from the donor will end up and (b) you have a lot of free time and space to lay things out and get them right. it is possible to go too far, too fast with chassis wiring. i would also look into getting the best possible schematics for both cars (the poster ones, and if not those, the FSM ones) in advance.

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Different Throttle linkage

My parts car ('85 300d) from which I plan to use at least the following: -Engine, complete interior/dash, rear end, wiring harness, steering box, and probably lots more- I noticed has a different throttle linkage than my '78 240D. My old '78 has a complicated system that I always thought was odd that turns a long rod on the firewall and then has a series of rods and levers that go from below the intake manifold and goes up and over the valve cover. The '85 linkage is more simple and just pops straight out of the firewall, more or less. Below is the picture of the '85.

Now, my firewall does not have the bracket that the throttle plunger thingy (don't know what it's actually called) bolts to, so I think I will be able to cut the bracket off and weld it onto my firewall, BUT, what else is different as far as the throttle linkage goes? Is that all that I need to do or is it totally different under the dash? :confused: :confused: :confused:

The picture below shows the '85 throttle linkage that comes straight out of the firewall.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I'm 99% sure there are no differences under the dash.

If you are putting an OM617a into a 240D chassis you might want to take a look at the engine shock mounts.

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More progress this week.

Finally got the wiring harness out after a lot of careful labeling.

The media blaster charges $130 an hour so I think I saved myself some money by taken as much paint off as I could using aircraft paint remover; that's some nasty sh*t! I used about 3 gallons :eek: Lot's of layers of paint...

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1981 300TD Wagon, 1984 Euro 300D (SOLD)
96 Posts
Damn Dan, that's some major stripping!! I got tomorrow off, so I'm painting my basement and then I may swing by and see how it's going down there. When is the media blaster dude coming down?

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damn Dan, that's some major stripping!! I got tomorrow off, so I'm painting my basement and then I may swing by and see how it's going down there. When is the media blaster dude coming down?
yeah man! I'm still trying to figure out the media blast guy. I was thinking soda blast at first but the painter doesn't like it so I'm looking for something else.

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,869 Posts
Wow very impressive so far. How is the rust on your car? I believe you will need a different flywheel to use your 4 speed with the OM617A motor from your donor car.

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow very impressive so far. How is the rust on your car? I believe you will need a different flywheel to use your 4 speed with the OM617A motor from your donor car.
There is some rust on the floor boards, but it's not terrible.

Yeah, from what I've read on here I just need to use the flywheel from the OM616 and have it balanced, or double check that it's balanced the same as the OM617 flywheel.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
There is some rust on the floor boards, but it's not terrible.

Yeah, from what I've read on here I just need to use the flywheel from the OM616 and have it balanced, or double check that it's balanced the same as the OM617 flywheel.
The OM616 will work OK (from what I've read) but it is really too light for the five cylinder engine.

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I've been pretty busy with life recently but I've gotten a little progress on the ole project. I've taken the windows out and both of the fuel tanks (veggie and diesel), and I started to grind away on the bottom side of the floorboards with a wire-wheel to get all the undercoating off. I'd like to be able to POR-15 both sides of the floorboards. I probably have another day doing that and then it's ready to be blasted.

Once it's back from blasting I'm going to put POR-15 down on both side of the floorboards, in the trunk, in the engine compartment, and probably the whole inside including the inside of the doors, between the door hinges, on the inside of my front fenders and in that whole area. Probably also going to put it down where the trunk seal, and windshield seals go - Basically everywhere but the outside sheet metal, and I might even do that if the painter thinks it's a good idea. I have a gallon of it and it seems to go a long ways.

Anyway - here are some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1977 300D, 1984 300D.
39 Posts
That's going to be pretty sweet when it's done.

If you want my opinion, the more manual controls the better. That's just me though, I've always prefered the reliability of manual windows, locks, sunroof, etc..

·
Registered
'78 240D 4-speed greasel
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^ yeah I was thinking of putting in the electric windows but I decided against it. Everything will be manual. So now I'm thinking of trying to fab something up to fit in the switch holes in the console that will house an auxiliary & usb port for the stereo.

Also, maybe a switch to change from my diesel tank to the veggie tank.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I haven't heard that. Is there a better alternative?
Sorry I missed this...

...back to the flywheel!

The best one is the five cylinder diesel flywheel which is heavier. The 240D one can work - search for junqueyardjim and charmalu over on peach parts. I think both of these guys have done a manual conversion with the lighter 240D flywheel.

·
Registered
Brown 83 300SD I have a few other projects before I get to her!
1,845 Posts
Way to go GG. I hope it's a great stress reliever from your Grad work. Good fortune on both.

Dave

1 - 20 of 48 Posts